Sponsored

Steeda Ultralite or Min Drop Springs?

BlueGTPP52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm looking at getting a new set of springs for my 2015 GTPP and I've narrowed it down to one of the options from Steeda. I'm torn between the Ultralite and the min drop springs. This is a toy car (12,500 miles we purchased new) which is tracked 1-2 times per year. I don't want to ruin the ride when the wife and I go cruising, or make it so she doesn't want to drive it ever since she takes it to work a few times a week. But I also don't want progressives because on the track that's not going to be fun.

From what I can gather both springs have the same spring rate, and really the only difference is the amount of drop. I have 2 other concerns, the first being that I live in Michigan and our roads are terrible so I'm worried about the ultralites because of the extra .625/.5" drop. The second being I've read that if I go with the ultralites I might need to invest in some front & rear camber adjustment components which will significantly increase the $$$ I have to drop for the ultralites right now.

Anyone in Metro Detroit area with the ultralites have issues with the roads/gas stations/etc.? I think in an ideal world, I'd go with the ultralites, but I really don't want to make it stupid uncomfortable on the road for bulk of the usage.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd go with the minimum-drop springs just for the extra bump travel they'd leave you with. I think the rear rate for the min-drop springs is actually a little softer than it is in the Ultralights.

Norm

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The second being I've read that if I go with the ultralites I might need to invest in some front & rear camber adjustment components which will significantly increase the $$$ I have to drop for the ultralites right now.

Anyone in Metro Detroit area with the ultralites have issues with the roads/gas stations/etc.? I think in an ideal world, I'd go with the ultralites, but I really don't want to make it stupid uncomfortable on the road for bulk of the usage.
Urban Chicago crappy roads over here and riding on Steeda Ultralites (NOT the Extreme version) everyday for the last 3 years with ZERO issues or regrets !
NO aftermarket camber adjusters needed, the alignment is to Kelly’s BMR Street Performance spec. No added wear on tires, then again my alignment was performed at a personal friends shop where details matter.

I would highly suggest you use the Ford Performance track Strut and Shock package paired with the Standard Ultralite Linear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueGTPP52

BlueGTPP52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's good to hear, I'm actually thinking about pairing it with the Steeda non adjustable dampers and having Steeda assemble them along with the camber plates anyway. I'm quite interested in this performance alignment spec you're talking about, any chance it's easy to find on the forums?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
'm actually thinking about pairing it with the Steeda non adjustable dampers and having Steeda assemble them along with the camber plates anyway.
Be aware, Adjustable Camber plates add noise.
The Standard Ultralite Linear springs can be hand installed on the strut. Yup that’s right, the spring is short enough all that’s needed is a solid push on the strut mount & bearing plate to compress the spring to install the retaining nut.
Go with Ford Performance, it’s actually GT350 strut and shocks packaged for the GT.
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-18000-f.html

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's good to hear, I'm actually thinking about pairing it with the Steeda non adjustable dampers and having Steeda assemble them along with the camber plates anyway. I'm quite interested in this performance alignment spec you're talking about, any chance it's easy to find on the forums?
Try to stay out of the "more lowering is more better" trap. It's not.

Just so you know, I tracked my '08 on its OE springs for several seasons (which are even softer than Base S550 springs). Set a couple of personal best lap times that still stand. Intermediate run groups for the most part, but advanced with my home track's own events and with SCCA's Track Night in America.

Norm

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
Ford x springs with bilstein b6 shocks and struts. No scraping, rubbing or bottoming out, this is with 19x10 wheels and 275/40 tires squared.

ccollins02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang HPP
Living where I'm at in Ohio I experience alot of the same crappy roadways day to day. I went with the minimum drop springs and have been very happy with them. Its enough to notice its lowered but doesn't give any issues with bumps, potholes, etc. The spring rate is also a nice balance of being a little stiffer to help handling without being obnoxious on rough roads. Also, no chamber plates are necessary to keep it in alignment.

OP
OP
BlueGTPP52

BlueGTPP52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Try to stay out of the "more lowering is more better" trap. It's not.

Just so you know, I tracked my '08 on its OE springs for several seasons (which are even softer than Base S550 springs). Set a couple of personal best lap times that still stand. Intermediate run groups for the most part, but advanced with my home track's own events and with SCCA's Track Night in America.

Norm
Right on about lowering just for the sake of lowering, wasn't my plan at all. I've done about 5-6 track days and I want to stiffen up the suspension under braking and acceleration which is why I'm looking at the different springs with the higher rates. I guess springs are cheap enough that if I didn't like one I could always change it for another.

Doing a bit more research I think I've changed my mind and will probably go with the FP track struts/shocks to pair with whatever spring I go with.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Doing a bit more research I think I've changed my mind and will probably go with the FP track struts/shocks to pair with whatever spring I go with.
If you go that route buy BMR SP083 to pair with them lot's of people use that on the track and are very happy add GT350R front swaybar or some adjustable one like Eibach and you will have a sorted suspension setup for not a lot of money.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I recently installed Steeda Pro-Active with Minimum springs. Excellent combination.

OP
OP
BlueGTPP52

BlueGTPP52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you go that route buy BMR SP083 to pair with them lot's of people use that on the track and are very happy add GT350R front swaybar or some adjustable one like Eibach and you will have a sorted suspension setup for not a lot of money.
you know, I’ve noticed that a lot of people run the BMR handling springs along with the FP shocks/struts, but I never really looked at it. What is it exactly that makes those 2 pair so well?

I’ve been looking at doing the sway bar(s) too, but I only want to change 1 thing at a time to see what needs to happen next. I’ve actually been looking at the BMR sway bar since it’s lowest setting is like 19% stiffer than stock instead of the others which just jump right to like 40%. Then again, haven’t looked at much in that area yet.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to ruin the ride when the wife and I go cruising, or make it so she doesn't want to drive it ever since she takes it to work a few times a week….

Careful on spring rates…the SP083s are not a cruising spring. Stick with 200/800 or less for a predominately street driven car.

Steeda claims 200/800 on the new Ultralites, Eibach’s ProKit is also 200/800 (linear too…even though part websites list them as progressive).

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at getting a new set of springs for my 2015 GTPP and I've narrowed it down to one of the options from Steeda. I'm torn between the Ultralite and the min drop springs. This is a toy car (12,500 miles we purchased new) which is tracked 1-2 times per year. I don't want to ruin the ride when the wife and I go cruising, or make it so she doesn't want to drive it ever since she takes it to work a few times a week. But I also don't want progressives because on the track that's not going to be fun.

From what I can gather both springs have the same spring rate, and really the only difference is the amount of drop. I have 2 other concerns, the first being that I live in Michigan and our roads are terrible so I'm worried about the ultralites because of the extra .625/.5" drop. The second being I've read that if I go with the ultralites I might need to invest in some front & rear camber adjustment components which will significantly increase the $$$ I have to drop for the ultralites right now.

I live in Michigan - drive with the minimum drop springs ... your reference to the progressives above is not going to be the case. We actually market that spring as a drivability spring with some track days down the road - they are more geared for day-to-day driving but can handle the track. "A lower/more aggressive stance without sacrificing ride comfort, and better handling. Tracking the car a couple of times a year. Daily driven car. Perfect street spring with nice track manners."

On any of our springs - we strongly recommend the camber plates up front.

Shoot me an email to [email protected] & we can get you squared away with a desirable set-up.

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored