Sponsored

Steeda Progressive Spring review

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
I notice even my non PP car that it bounces a lot. I have steeda progressive springs waiting to go on. Is the bounce due to the shocks or the stock springs?

Contemplating adding the PP shocks in the back due to the rear shock comparison thread.
Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Hmmm. Interesting. I noticed that Ford Racing is also showing a progressive rate spring that also lowers it an inch but they say its only for GT & EB models - why is that? Is this Steeda one good for the V6 model? Also Ford says it may give a harsher ride - is this a characteristic of progressive springs?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Harshness isn't exactly a characteristic of springs, at least not until you get into rates that would be insane for street driving. Springs tend to be more about 'ride firmness' But you can get harshness indirectly, if they let your car hit the bump stops harder (and more frequently).

That said, I suppose that a dual-rate spring might introduce a little harshness if all of the closely spaced coils bottom out at the exact same time and the spring suddenly switches from its softer rate to its firmer one. But I would not expect this to amount to much.

Out of curiosity, were you looking at the X springs or the Y's?

On edit, I have no idea why the V6 was left out.

Norm

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
:confused: X or Y?

So then to reduce harshness or firmness it would be advisable to replace the jounce bumper along with it?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Those letters are the suffixes to the basic part number on the FRPP site, probably something like M-xxxx-X and M-xxxx-Y, where the xxxx's stand for a number that I can't offhand remember. I don't have it open right now, but IIRC the X spring is more street-intended and the Y is more for track.

Different bump stops can be substituted and/or sometimes modified for more clearance. The hot tip here is to cut from the firm end of the bump stop if it's at all possible. Alternatively, recontour the soft end after cutting it if you have to cut from that end.

Norm

Sponsored

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Hmmm. Interesting. I noticed that Ford Racing is also showing a progressive rate spring that also lowers it an inch but they say its only for GT & EB models - why is that? Is this Steeda one good for the V6 model? Also Ford says it may give a harsher ride - is this a characteristic of progressive springs?
Every customer that's installed our progressive springs has said the ride quality remained the same or better than OE. As others have mentioned, we're working diligently on shocks/struts for the S550 platform that will be matched perfectly with our springs - with that being said, our customers are still happy with the OE shocks/struts since our springs don't drop the car past 1.125" :)

101charley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charley
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic, 400A, 6AT, 3.55, MBRP Street
I got mine installed on Wednesday. I have an ecoboost with NO PP. The look is excellent. I was not looking for a crazy drop. Its just enough that it makes the car look aggressive without overdoing it. The ride in normal driving is not real noticeable. I do think it takes bumps and expansion joints better, a little less harsh. When it comes to turns its much better. The car feels much more planted. Overall the car also feels less bouncy. Great results for a daily driver, I dont track the car. Overall happy, though I wish I could install my self as the installation cost makes this overall a fairly expensive upgrade.
If you don't mind my asking - how much was the installation? Where did you get it done?

Thanks

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
I notice even my non PP car that it bounces a lot. I have steeda progressive springs waiting to go on. Is the bounce due to the shocks or the stock springs?

Contemplating adding the PP shocks in the back due to the rear shock comparison thread.
Bump.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB

JWC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 oxford white ecoboost 6 spd base
When looking at the instructions for the ford springs, it shows discarding used nuts and using new hardware when reinstalling the new springs.

I hadn't seen that mentioned in other instructions. Is it recommended/necessary? Have a set of steeda progressives waiting to go on.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
When looking at the instructions for the ford springs, it shows discarding used nuts and using new hardware when reinstalling the new springs.

I hadn't seen that mentioned in other instructions. Is it recommended/necessary? Have a set of steeda progressives waiting to go on.
I noticed the same thing with the FSM illustrations posted here. No idea why Ford throws the nuts and bolts away after one use unless they are torque to yield bolts. Can't imagine using tty bolts on a suspension though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It was the same way with the S197. Unless the new car gives a torque spec plus having to turn it some number of degrees/fractions of a turn after you reach that, the fasteners still aren't TTY.

My understanding is that some treatment of the original bolts is only guaranteed to hold torque for one cycle. People seem to do OK with two or three cycles, especially if they use a little threadlock compound.

Norm

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Do the progressives lower the car evenly or is the front lower? What's the forum discount for steeda?
Sponsored