Sponsored

Steeda Differential Bushing Bolt Upgrade Hardware

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
Nothing against Steeda. Just not sure socket head bolts were the best option for this application. For two reasons.

1. This is a major flaw... When installing the forward most bushing up against the fuel tanks it’s impossible to get a socket on the bolt unless you completely drop the subframe out of the car. I had to use some vise grips on the circumference of the bolts. Luckily these only need torqued to 37lb-ft. Doubt I even got that before the vise grips started to slip.

2. The socket head bolts are 12mm hex. If your a DIY guy like myself I doubt you have a 1/2 drive 12mm hex. My dumbass bought a nice sunex set but got 3/8 drive. Good luck finding a 3/8 torque wrench that goes up to the specified 129 lb-ft torque. This is less of an issue and more of an FYI. You’ll need a low profile 1/2 drive 12mm hex to install these socket head bolts.

EDIT:
These would still be a great option if your dropping the subframe anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
In order for us to get the proper bolt length in a grade 12.9, the strongest metric offering, the only option is a socket head cap screw (allen head
Steeda Tech

OP
OP
5ohh_kenny

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
In order for us to get the proper bolt length in a grade 12.9, the strongest metric offering, the only option is a socket head cap screw (allen head
Steeda Tech
Wow that was a quick response.

I didn’t think of that but makes sense.

Even if they were a pain to install nice to know I have the best possible hardware back there for boost and trips down the 1/4 mile.

Thanks Steeda!

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Boost and quarter mile...with a manual or auto?

If manual, I would highly recommend doing more than just the bolt upgrade. I don't care what anyone says, diamater is the best solution to preventing the bolts from shearing. Stepping up to a 12.9 from a 10.9 isn't that much of an improvement. Maybe consider additional diff bolt support like their diff bracing system.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
2. The socket head bolts are 12mm hex. If your a DIY guy like myself I doubt you have a 1/2 drive 12mm hex. My dumbass bought a nice sunex set but got 3/8 drive. Good luck finding a 3/8 torque wrench that goes up to the specified 129 lb-ft torque. This is less of an issue and more of an FYI. You’ll need a low profile 1/2 drive 12mm hex to install these socket head bolts.
That's what a tool budget is for . . . doesn't have to be an official line item in your finances, but as a DIY'er willing to tackle new projects you pretty much need to have this. Even if it has to come out of the beer budget from time to time.

Norm

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Steeda Tech
I just ran through this whole project & can back up Steeda on this one. 12.9's of the right length are SCHS only. You have to drop to 10.9 to get a hex-head.
Sponsored