Sponsored

Starting car without clutch pushed in

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
You could put a toggle switch inline to the safety switch so you flip the switch and starts without clutch depressed and the flip it back and cruise works. Don't know about the Mustang, but Corvettes have two, an upper and a lower, so that adds more complexity.

Is the juice really worth the squeeze?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't use a toggle switch (you might forget to turn it "off", leaving the car as if it never had a clutch interlock switch).

Use a momentary contact switch instead - it will at least default to "off", and by forcing you to use both hands every time it just might help remind you to check that the shifter is in the neutral gate. Better than nothing, but not as good as a (probably much more complicated) electrical means of determining that it's in neutral.

Norm

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
OP, I did this on a BMW I had, for the same reason as you. Worked for a decade with no problems. I wired a remote kill switch(toggle) on the Mustang to the clutch pedal switch that works perfectly. There are only two wires going to that switch so bypassing altogether shouldn't be hard to do.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Don't use a toggle switch (you might forget to turn it "off", leaving the car as if it never had a clutch interlock switch).

Use a momentary contact switch instead - it will at least default to "off", and by forcing you to use both hands every time it just might help remind you to check that the shifter is in the neutral gate. Better than nothing, but not as good as a (probably much more complicated) electrical means of determining that it's in neutral.

Norm
Good idea, never thought of that, but then again, I never thought about bypassing the safety switch.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Geez . . . dunno how any of us, ummm, older folks managed to survive, having to remember to step on the clutch all by ourselves without any reminders and only having muscle control and a little judgment available for speed control . . .

Next time I'm out in my '08 I'll have to see if the CC works. Don't use it otherwise.

Jason - you worry too much. The clutch pedal will still be there.

Norm
These kids these days have no clue what it was to ride in work or personal vehicles on a 5 gallon bucket for a seat, no seat belts, tires you found at the salvage yard cause that's all we could afford!!! Lol I'd venture to say prob most guys " kids "in here have no clue even what a 3 on the tree is, and I'd be great watching them trying to figure out how to drive one!! Lol
And if your real name is Norm Peterson, you could be the coolest guy in here. Again most these kids have no idea who that is:cheers:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Good idea, never thought of that, but then again, I never thought about bypassing the safety switch.
Most people today probably wouldn't. And I have a somewhat unique collection of experiences with this particular thing that dates back to somewhere in the early to mid 1950's.

Most informative was in the 1979 Malibu I had, where the mechanical pushrod got loose somehow and neatly speared the little switch, essentially destroying it in the 'open' position. More recently, if I could ever explain the frustration with having to hold a clutch pedal down hard enough to deflect the floor . . . well, I'll just let you figure the rest of it out.

jwhite - it is, and I wouldn't know what to use for a username otherwise. It's even got me a couple of free drafts at a certain downstairs bar in Boston.

Norm

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
These kids these days have no clue what it was to ride in work or personal vehicles on a 5 gallon bucket for a seat, no seat belts, tires you found at the salvage yard cause that's all we could afford!!! Lol I'd venture to say prob most guys " kids "in here have no clue even what a 3 on the tree is, and I'd be great watching them trying to figure out how to drive one!! Lol
And if your real name is Norm Peterson, you could be the coolest guy in here. Again most these kids have no idea who that is:cheers:
My '72 Torino was a 3 speed on the column :cheers:

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
You could wire in a remote toggle similar to my kill switch...position 1: normal operation. Position 2: clutch relay switch "made", car will start.
Sponsored