[ame]

SW H-pipe:
[ame]

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
It was a bit colder this evening (for Arizona). I do have to say that the exhaust is much more in your face when the system is cold. Warmed up it's a lot more dynamic.

Went for a drive with the GF tonight... definitely RIGHT on the edge of 'a little loud'. As Souprmage (I think it was) pointed out, my ears tell me there's a bit extra coming through the empty tire well in the back. I think I will try filling around the fix-a-flat kit with some eggcrate foam or something to see if it takes a bit of the edge out of it. If that works I might put a more permanent solution in. I don't know how to describe it but the sound deadening is otherwise so good that I can hear that there's a 'lack' of the same material somewhere behind me. Spare wheel well makes sense. given just the carpet plate.

bravoecho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT HN 400A
Speaking of horses... The H pipe is just amazing. It sounds incredible!

The drone is maybe 1-2 out of 10 and only present in odd rpm/load ranges so far. I don't hear any except a little briefly getting up to speed. Idle is delicious and urban and highway driving have a good note without rattling anything to pieces. Didn't try engine braking as still breaking in the engine, but with the amount of time you spend doing that in normal driving even if it does exacerbate drone a bit I doubt it will give any concern.
I find this to be accurate with my SW H pipe install too. Once installed, I immediately deleted sound tube and any associated drone as you describe has dissapeared. :thumbsup: This was most prevalent with windows up driving.

Also, definitely gonna try throwing maybe a large blanket or some form of sound insulation in wheel well. Betcha that will help alot.

Last edited:

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Hmm, I wonder about getting rid of the sound tube now.

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
What is this sound tube thing I keep seeing mentioned? Where is it and what is its purpose?
It's literally a tube that runs from the firewall to (I believe) the intake tract on the engine. The purpose of these is to add a little bit of sound to a very well insulated cabin to give the driver some feedback.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Hmm, I wonder about getting rid of the sound tube now.
For sure when I add the CAI, I'm deleting the sound tube. No need for it now.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Why/how could the sound tube cause Drone from exhaust-->:shrug:

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Why/how could the sound tube cause Drone from exhaust-->:shrug:
Resonance plus plastic makes it worse. Usual culprits in my experience: Floaty dash panels, rear mounting bracket plastic covers for child seats, uninsulated pillar trim, etc. If sound tube gets a rattle... I mean it's designed to transmit sounds, so...

Sponsored

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I find this to be accurate with my SW H pipe install too. Once installed, I immediately deleted sound tube and any associated drone as you describe has dissapeared. :thumbsup: This was most prevalent with windows up driving.
Resonance plus plastic makes it worse. Usual culprits in my experience: Floaty dash panels, rear mounting bracket plastic covers for child seats, uninsulated pillar trim, etc. If sound tube gets a rattle... I mean it's designed to transmit sounds, so...
I still don't understand how the sound tube from the engine would be the problem of an exhaust drone-->:shrug:

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I still don't understand how the sound tube from the engine would be the problem of an exhaust drone-->:shrug:
Extreme example of how just a little bit of the wrong frequencies can cause issues:

[ame]

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Extreme example of how just a little bit of the wrong frequencies can cause issues:
I decided to do a little research on the Drone thing. I should of just thought back to when I had to build Bass Traps & Acoustic Panels (Acoustics of the room) to control the 4 SWs and well everything sound wise going on in the money pit (HT)!!

I found this short & to the point explanation on Exhaust Drone, pretty much what you are trying to get across to me-->:cheers:

Exhaust drone is primarily the result of sound waves traveling through the air and vibration that is transferred through a vehicle's frame, body and components. Exhaust drone vibration may also be a result of sound frequency alignment between the engine and exhaust. When the frequencies are aligned, the result is a pressure wave between the engine and exhaust. Sound waves, transferred sound and sound frequency must be controlled to quiet the exhaust. Exhaust system modifications and the application of sound control material will reduce exhaust drone in your vehicle.