Sport/sport+ compter keeps asking

Rysgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018gt350
i have not had my gt350 very long, its a 2018, just had a pioneer head unit with 7 inch display installed. I notice since the install on my dash i keep getting a display of “sport/sport+ {ok}”, anyone have any ideas? Not sure if this is tied to it or what...Tried searching but cant find anything, thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rysgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018gt350
Nobody ever had this display? Comes up in a little box where it shows 2 diff exaust tips and asks sport-sportmode, then an “ok” in the corner of the box

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Nobody ever had this display? Comes up in a little box where it shows 2 diff exaust tips and asks sport-sportmode, then an “ok” in the corner of the box
That's the normal display for changing exhaust modes, but it seems odd that it's randomly popping up. Maybe they pinched a wire during the head unit install? I don't see a feasible reason why the aftermarket head would be interfering with the active exhaust because AFAIK those two things don't interface whatsoever.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Posting a picture of the setup would be helpful. The exhaust mode is controlled by a switch that's managed by the OEM faceplate computer. Without knowing what's installed, it's hard to guess.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'd love to see pics of your set up. It's a huge PITA to change out the OEM system, and even then people usually went for Chinese systems with custom software for our cars and included OEM features in it's interface, so it's interesting you went with an off shelf Pioneer unit.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Well, maybe get a Sync 3 unit instead.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Well, maybe get a Sync 3 unit instead.
Yea, Ford has a TSB about people upgrading from Sync to Sync3 having issues even though everything is installed by the dealership. Nothing is 100% except buying a GT350 with Sync3 from the factory. I've just accepted that I'll only have Sync in my car.

OP
OP

Rysgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018gt350
Thanks for the reaponses, i will take some pictures of it later today. The weird thing is it does it “sometimes”. Then i will start the car after leaving another place and it wont ask me at all. Its like a ghost in the system. The pioneer system is pretty badass, the company that did my install does alot of highend cars. I had an Audi S3, and a Eurodyne program allowed us to go into the computer and completely shut down the opening and closing of the valves in the exhaust, (left them open), you could pretty much change anything in the car, i was able to shut the ding off on my seatbelt notifier, any software like this for the gt350?

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks for the reaponses, i will take some pictures of it later today. The weird thing is it does it “sometimes”. Then i will start the car after leaving another place and it wont ask me at all. Its like a ghost in the system. The pioneer system is pretty badass, the company that did my install does alot of highend cars. I had an Audi S3, and a Eurodyne program allowed us to go into the computer and completely shut down the opening and closing of the valves in the exhaust, (left them open), you could pretty much change anything in the car, i was able to shut the ding off on my seatbelt notifier, any software like this for the gt350?
Check the Forscan sticky.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you don't have any other ideas, maybe ask the shop to allow the valves to open and close through the car controls again. The exhaust valves do a start-up cycle whenever you start the car. The only other known way to not throw a code for shutting off the exhaust valves is through a $150~ adapter you plug into the exhaust valve, I've never heard of it being done through software alone. Beautiful set up by the way, can you give us the model #s of the units you used?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That's the normal display for changing exhaust modes, but it seems odd that it's randomly popping up. Maybe they pinched a wire during the head unit install? I don't see a feasible reason why the aftermarket head would be interfering with the active exhaust because AFAIK those two things don't interface whatsoever.
The controls for the exhaust switch are all done by CAN bus messages that are generated by the computer that runs the OEM bezel. That little brainbox manages all the buttons and switches on the bezel (not the infotainment, just the bezel) as well as the climate control, so it's very much involved with the exhaust switching. An aftermarket head unit has to have the same set of controls and messages as the OEM unit. In the OP's case, it looks like there's a type mismatch - my guess is that the head unit is programmed for a GT and the car is a GT350. They're similar but not exactly the same.

If the head unit is programmed from Pioneer for a GT, that would cause it to send messages to the dashboard computer about things the GT350 dashboard computer isn't set up to handle. Unless something has changed from 2016 to 2018, the GT350 doesn't have a "Sport+" exhaust mode, so the driver should never be offered that mode on the dashboard selector because the car doesn't have it. The correct option pair for a GT350 exhaust is "Normal/Sport".

So, I think that's what's going on. It's the best I can do with the information I have.

OP
OP

Rysgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018gt350
Metra 99-5838CH with an IPhone-connect pioneer, got to find the box, but lets u run waze and all the other apps right to the screen.

should be able to shut the messages off using Forscan, they are still looking into why that code is popping up, I would rather just shut the thing off and run open valves all the time. I will have to look to see what its exactly saying and take a picture, it happens fast. Thanks for the responses

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Metra 99-5838CH with an IPhone-connect pioneer, got to find the box, but lets u run waze and all the other apps right to the screen.

should be able to shut the messages off using Forscan, they are still looking into why that code is popping up, I would rather just shut the thing off and run open valves all the time. I will have to look to see what its exactly saying and take a picture, it happens fast. Thanks for the responses
I thought Sync3 would let you run Waze and Google Maps and other apps on the screen too? I have a 2016 Track Pack with the Sync3 upgrade and I use Google maps all the time. Waze doesn't work very well where I am, but it runs on the box.

Your points:

"should be able to shut the messages off using Forscan" - well maybe and maybe not. I looked at the datasheet and instructions for the Metra 99-5838CH, and it doesn't have special programming for the switches in the GT350. They provide a one-size-fits-all circuit board that manages the row of console switches, but those switches in a GT350 do different things than the same switches in a GT or Ecoboost. Might be worth contacting Metra. Best solution would be to have the switch panel programmed to send the correct messages to the instrument panel.

[edit] It occurred to me after thinking about it for a while that if the switch panel is sending the wrong message, it might not be possible to change something with Forscan to make the Instrument Panel ignore that incorrect message. After all, if that message is already turned off, it's not likely that turning it off again will make things better.

"I would rather just shut the thing off and run open valves all the time" - lots of people would too, but right now it appears that there's only one solution - the $150 adapter mentioned above that fools the ECU into thinking the valves are present and accounted for when they're not.
Sponsored

Last edited: