Sponsored

Special Intake / Hood for Turbo?

Do you think the ecoboost 4 will come with a special functional intake?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Hello everyone,

Like many of you, I have recently been very excited to see the 2015 Mustang reveal that is now right around the corner. I have also very much enjoyed the amazing renders that have been flying around. In looking at some of these renders it made me wonder, do you think that the ecoboost 4 will get a special intake?

I know many cars like the Subaru WRX have functional hood scoops that feed the turbo, and Mustangs have sported nonfunctional hood scoops for a number of years. To me it sort of makes sense to put a functional one in. Not only would it be a nod to the hood scoops of the past, but it would add something special for the folks who chose to go for the ecoboost engine. The more ways they can make this seem like a sporty option the better in my book. The last thing you want is an ecostang.

With that said, I voted no in poll because I do not think they will do it. The reason being that we haven't really seen anything that suggests they will. No mesh openings in the camo or anything like that for the ecoboost 4. Give me your thoughts.
Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
A functional hood scoop would only feed a top mount intercooler.. like a SVO, Tbird turbo coupe, wrx etc.
I'm pretty sure the ecoboost stang will use a much more efficient (and typically much larger) front mount intercooler.... so no use for the scoop. Hood scoops on most modern cars are a styling practice usually serve no purpose but to add drag and funnel cooling air into the engine compartment, often causing lift. A proper heat extraction vent setup makes more sense. It cools better and reduces lift. If they had some sort of scoop on the ecoboost stang, I would see it as a nod to the SVO more then anything. So, NACA or nothing ;)

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
Yep and the Eco 4 will be nothing like the SVO. Modern day equivalent would be more like 3.5 EB if they ever slapped it into the Mustang, as it could be massaged to rival the GT in torque/power. I could and would like to see this happen in the future. Maybe towards the end of the S550 lifespan.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
You can also have the subtle hood induction, like my Mazdaspeed 6. But it, too, has a top mount intercooler.
Sponsored