Sponsored

Spark plugs from Amazon

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Anyone else running spark plugs purchased from Amazon? I’m on my second set, and while my car runs relatively good, I’ve been chasing a intermittent misfire above 7k for some time. I went out last weekend to do some freeway pulls and In 5th and 6th gear above 7k I’m getting a flashing cel and my logs are showing 3-10 positive knock. I’ve been going over everything trying to figure this out. I’ve even had the plugs out a couple of different times to check gap ( .020 ) and to make sure they weren’t cracked. Then for some reason there was a voice in my head that said: maybe the plugs are counterfeits. Anyway, I’ve been doing some research and seems like some of the ngk plugs purchased from Amazon are indeed counterfeit. I can’t say for certain mine are or that they are for sure the cause of my misfire/knock problems, but I think I will be replacing them just the same. Anyone else have any experience with potentially counterfeit plugs?
Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
My NGK 6510 plugs were purchased Oct 17 2020 on Amazon. No missing issues, gapped to .024.

chrome_2020-11-27_13-43-33.png

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
On a side note. The ones I purchased were sold by another vendor, but fulfilled through Amazon. The reviews for the particular plugs I purchased allege that they are counterfeit and one reviewer sited that the box said assembled in Thailand. But it does appear that genuine ngk’s are available on Amazon as well

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have had problems with Amazon plugs being damaged but not counterfeit. At least not that I know of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I just went and bought replacement plugs from o’reiley and they are identical to what I have in the car. The boxes also say assembled in Thailand. I don’t know at this point. Perhaps I got some legit ngk’s from Amazon. If that’s the case it leaves me still chasing a misfire above 7k and only in gears 5&6

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I just went and bought replacement plugs from o’reiley and they are identical to what I have in the car. The boxes also say assembled in Thailand. I don’t know at this point. Perhaps I got some legit ngk’s from Amazon. If that’s the case it leaves me still chasing a misfire above 7k and only in gears 5&6
Increase the dwell time 5% and see if it goes away. Maybe one of the coils can’t keep up

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Auto or stick?

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Haven’t had a chance to play with the coil dwell time yet, but I have created a tune where I added %5. I do wonder if it will actually do anything. I think that the coils will only saturate so much, but it’s worth a shot. I was comparing various tunes from gen2 cars and I noticed that the dwell time is much longer on those cars. Perhaps those coils are much different. I was tempted to just use the data from the gen2 coils ,but I’m also concerned that it could shorten the life of the coil or have other negative effects. I think the next chance I have I’ll log a couple of pulls with the %5 increase in dwell time. I also installed new plugs gapped at .028
Sponsored