Sponsored

Spare tire - Dead weight or haul it along?

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 401A NPP
Wifey had a '19 EB PP1 w/ the tire sealant kit, but her '23 GT has a nice spare. Since the P-Zero Neros are "run flats" is this thing just dead weight, or worth hauling around? Thanks.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; (1) Haul it around. Sort of like insurance better to have it and not need it so of thing. (2) Those fun flats are good for something like 50 miles or so. They also can be damaged to the point of not being able to run on them. May be rare but it can happen. (3) You have the option to both save money and get a better ride, maybe even better handling. When the run flats wear out replace them with normal tires which have more pliable sidewalls. May be lighter so will get you less un-sprung weight. Should cost less. I have known of Corvette owners who dislike the ride of the run flats so much they use regular tires even without a spare.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I roll sans spare. If I got a flat on the road, not having the actual spare would only be one part of my problems. I think knowing I don’t have one subconsciously makes me pay more attention while driving. It’s amazing that I can spot a roofing nail while driving my mustang but while driving my truck I could easily miss a Toyota Prius.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I roll sans spare. If I got a flat on the road, not having the actual spare would only be one part of my problems. I think knowing I don’t have one subconsciously makes me pay more attention while driving. It’s amazing that I can spot a roofing nail while driving my mustang but while driving my truck I could easily miss a Toyota Prius.
Actually, why would you want to miss a Prenus in the truck? It is actually quite sporting to get the chance to hit them since 98% of them are doing the speed limit plus 25.

Gawd! I really dislike those little crap boxes and the twits that drive them. Well, there is always hope for the twits, but the Prenus? Ain’t no two ways about it, that crap is UGLY. Ya’ll know what it screams about the driver.

And, if you drive one. Good on you. But, please don’t bother expounding on all of their attributes. I am very satisfied with my religion. I worship in the house of ICE. PERIOD!

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Wifey had a '19 EB PP1 w/ the tire sealant kit, but her '23 GT has a nice spare. Since the P-Zero Neros are "run flats" is this thing just dead weight, or worth hauling around? Thanks.
Are you sure your p-zero neros are run flat?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Are you sure your p-zero neros are run flat?
If they are OEM, they are not run flats. As far as a spare, no one who has one and had to use it regrets it. Ask someone who needed one and didn’t have one how they feel. Major regret there.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
I’ve had a couple of punctures with run flats on previous cars and a puncture in a PS4s on the Mustang. In all cases the holes were too big for the sealant to seal. I now haul around a space saver spare.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Cars are expensive. Run flats are welcome for around town, to get off the road to a parking lot or somewhere safe. IMO, driving further, you run the risk of separation, flailing bits, etc., going up against the car body, suspension and all that.

If traveling any distance at all (large metro area or highway, out of town) it's best to keep a spare.

One of my last travels, the TPMS began alarming shortly after leaving the airport. My initial thought was simply low pressure due to temps, but I decided to pull over. Huge nail. I was losing pressure too quickly to continue. I was able to drive about 100 yards to a rim rental shop :please::inlove:, who could make repairs.

The air pump in the trunk would not have helped. I doubt Slime (unavailable anyway) would have sealed it.

The bullet holes in the shop glass (two) were interesting conversation starters while I waited in the office. :giggle:

Last edited:

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Keep it, I wish I had one. I hit something in the road one time and it put a 2 inch gash in my tire. Luckily I had some tire plugs in my car and I stuffed 3 or 4 of them in the gash good enough to hold air until I got home. Next morning it was dead flat.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What does she use the car for? Daily driver, a weekend fun car, track, drag racing?
If it's a daily or just a fun car, carry the spare. That few pounds of weight, stored in the trunk well are meaningless for any purpose except for serious track/racing reasons.
The piece of mind knowing that a simple flat won't mean loading and unloading off a flatbed is worth hundreds of dollars.
I'd also suggest considering AAA if the wife unwilling/unable to change a tire herself. We keep it on the wife's and daughter's cars. That way I know they can get help if I'm unable to get to them.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Hello; Good idea.
Hell, I have AAA road service on all of my vehicles. Might not work for the truck with where I go, but I have 2 spares for it.

No spare in the Mustang. Have had one leaker in seven years and only had to stop twice to air it up to get it to the tire shop.

Skye, what is a rim rental shop? Is that a place to get wheels that are already curb rashed? I gotta know.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Is it really dead weight if it improves traction?
Full size matching spare in my trunk...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I have AAA road service on all of my vehicles.
Hello; I also have been carrying AAA for a few years. I may misunderstand. My take is AAA is good for a breakdown for any vehicle i happen to be riding in. Say I am with a friend as a passenger. my take is I can call AAA and get a tow for their car. I have thought the coverage goes with me.

My take is you have AAA coverage on maybe a wife or daughter??? I was offered the option to sign up another individual but they had to be in my household. I live alone so no deal.

I did call to ask if i could have AAA tow my old car home from a dealer if I bought a new car and did not trade as I can only drive one home. Answer was no.

what is a rim rental shop? Is that a place to get wheels that are already curb rashed? I gotta know.
Hello; Me to.
Sponsored