Sourcing a full size spare wheel/tire

Flimflamman

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Like a lot of people I imagine, I did not get a spare with my Mustang. Those that sought one out, how did you source one? Did you peruse your local Craigslist, or is there a deal/vendor that is widely used? Junkyard? I guess I'll have to get creative. This is the first vehicle I've owned without at least a donut spare.

I haven't even had my Mustang for a month and I already managed to get a nail in one of my tires. Thankfully, I was close to home and plugged it up. Should be fine, but now I am paranoid... lol. I have a nice pump from when I had a Wrangler, and can plug just about anything up aside from sidewall damage.

PVAMT

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase

Airborne

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shadow Black GT Premium
Thanks! Yeah it is pricey, but I see it does come with a jack as well. I have the regular 4 pots, so I might be able to find a cheaper option.
Im selling all 4 of my stock wheels/tires from my 17 for $200 obo. Im located in Fort Bragg NC

OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Im selling all 4 of my stock wheels/tires from my 17 for $200 obo. Im located in Fort Bragg NC
Damn... wish you were closer because that would do the trick for me.

PVAMT

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase

OLdchuck

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Boxster GTS- 2013 Toyota Tacoma- 2014 Mercedes E350
Flimflam,
Old to the post but have a question on the source. They say for performance brakes and also state for GT350's but then state will not work on Mustang Brembo brakes...Seem like conflicting statements .

OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Flimflam,
Old to the post but have a question on the source. They say for performance brakes and also state for GT350's but then state will not work on Mustang Brembo brakes...Seem like conflicting statements .
Hi Chuck, the performance brakes and the Brembo's are actually the same large brakes. The PP1&2 GT's and GT350's have the larger brakes. The plain grey 4-Pot brakes can use the OEM spare tire kit, which I have.

I actually found an OEM spare tire kit on Ebay for $254 shipped to the door (those were probably hot potatoes). The seller didn't have many, but I know they can be found from other places for about $300-350, which is still a lot cheaper than the dealer price.

Automotive Authority, and maybe a few other places, sell the kit specifically for the bigger brakes. It's like $500.

OLdchuck

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Boxster GTS- 2013 Toyota Tacoma- 2014 Mercedes E350
Flim,
My concern was they mention that their spare wheel will fit over performance brakes but NOT Brembos. As you said, they are the same. It was a contradictory statement. If it fits one than it should fit the other or neither.
I guess the spacer is still an option or perhaps there is a tire and wheel out there that will fit over Brembos and fit in the wheel well OR just throw a full size wheel and tire in the truck and put any luggage in the back seat..

OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Flim,
My concern was they mention that their spare wheel will fit over performance brakes but NOT Brembos. As you said, they are the same. It was a contradictory statement. If it fits one than it should fit the other or neither.
I guess the spacer is still an option or perhaps there is a tire and wheel out there that will fit over Brembos and fit in the wheel well OR just throw a full size wheel and tire in the truck and put any luggage in the back seat..
Ok I hear ya. I did not know base GT brakes were called performance brakes. Some people with the Brembos still get the spare and just plan to move a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back (should a front tire flatten). Pain in the ass, but whatever works. Worse yet to screw with a torsen rear diff and not to mention a staggered set of wheels. But if you don't go to far to fast you'd be okay I suppose.

As I mentioned, you can get a spare specifically made for Brembos from Automotive Authority. Otherwise, yeah you might as well carry a full spare, which does not fit in the trunk so well.

199 - Racer X Fabrication