Sponsored

Good memories are a thing of the past.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I played PONG when it came out, I was in High School, had alot of sex, but didn't become a parent!
I win!
I think I was in 5th or 6th grade I remember going over to a neighbor's house, seeing pong and thinking how cool it was. We never got that video game.

I really never played any video game a lot except I really got into Diablo 2. I still like that game, but I rarely play it now.

Kids don’t know how to use their imagination anymore. I grew up in the 80’s. We had video games, but you would never catch us inside on a sunny day. I’d leave home in the morning and be gone all day. If I wanted a hot dinner I knew to be home by 6. Most days I wouldn’t come home till dark. Won’t see young kids doing that these days.
I think I would have played video games if my parents had been willing to spend money on gadgets like that. Instead I spent more time with library books (winter) or outside (summer). My opinion is video games tap into the imagination as much as other things. They are just different, not better or worse necessarily. Really good video games require a lot of thinking, analysis, memorization, etc.

Some of you will know what IM talking about and some wont. Use to be you did good as a kid earned a new video game or what not what ever it was you liked. For me was Video games. We would get excited to go to Toys R us and they had the little flip cards on the row. you would spend an hour deciding what game you wanted. Grab the ticket and convince your parents that it was more then they said they would spend but you had to have it. you would mow the yard, wash the dishes eat your vegetables ... anything if they got that one for you. They agreed knowing you wouldnt do any of that stuff LOL. you took you ticket and paid then went to the little window and waiting for them to find the game and give it to you. all the way home you thought of playing it and couldn't wait and then they would want to stop for lunch and you were nooooooo. you finally got home and tore the plastic off and the new game smell was amazing. you took out the book and studies every page ( remember those? instruction books) then carefully placed the game in the console and played it until it was time to go to bed for school and even then argued you needed just an hour more. rushing hme from school the next day to pay the game after talking about it all day... ahhhh

Now it would be hey remember when we were bored that day and downloaded that digital game for no reason and spent 60 bucks and were bored again 20 mins later and never played it again.

Blockbuster or any rental was a family bonding ritual. which mostly always included lets go out as a family and pick a movie and get pizza and then come home and watch together. it was a family night experience.

Now its remember that time we put some random show on to shut the kids up or remember that time we were doing nothing and then clicked button to watch some random crap.

I could go on but us older folk know.. even if we wont admit it , it was better times and we still relive them. Just substitute video game with car part , parents with wife and toys R Us with car part web site. and basically the whole story still works. Ill bet you even have offered to wash the dishes and eat your vegetables if your partner agreed to let you get your car part LOL

I just feel all this digital and convince has killed nostalgia.
My opinion is that good memories are what you make of them. My more recent great memories are vacations and times at the track. There are also the accomplishments at work. Maybe not quite as joyful, but those are good memories too.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Photo and video work. I actually make Photoshop cry when I dump huge image sets in for batch processing. I have plenty of overhead (~15-20GB physical) left at around 400 PNG's when Photoshop throws up the white flag. Even in lightly-threaded tasks, the 5950X is a huge bump from the 3900X I had in the build previously. Everything is faster from launch to render. I play at 4k, so no frames to be had there until I can upgrade my 5700XT though.
You punch higher than me. 3800x and an rtx 2080 with 16 gb ram. But I just use it to game and most of that is competitive. So I still use 1080p because I like my high fps/refresh rate. I can't wait for the day when gpus can comfortably hit 4k at 144 fps.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, you must be older than dirt......................... 74?
This coming November, that'll be the number of candles supposed to be on the cake.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I fall in that old category. I grew up playing Atari and Coleco Vision. I remember getting the first Nintendo console for my birthday one year. 🧓
We did have a Coleco Vision set, eventually with maybe a half dozen games. For all I know, it's buried somewhere in the attic. There was one game that my wife liked to play, and one that I played until I ran the score up to where there were either no more levels left or the system couldn't recognize further scoring. Man, that was a while ago . . .

Norm

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
When I was young we had to draw our own video games on an Etch-a-Sketch...... y'all were spoiled SOB's :)
Sponsored