Sponsored

SoCal shop for opg install

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I called GTR and they quoted me $2k for the OpG and CS, I asked how much more they would charge to throw a set of cams in as long as the timing cover, rocker cover and cam chains are off (With me providing the parts) and they said that (in bolting the cam caps, dropping in new cams, bolting them in and timing them would be another $2,500(for what sounds like about 2 hours extra work)

for $5k in labor for a solid days work, I’ll do it myself.
You are definitely not doing opg cs and cams in one day. Look up a thread on what's involved it's very time consuming and nowhere near easy. When you do oil pump gears only your primary chains are off, if you're doing cams you have a second set of chains and gears to mess with. Their quote seems high but I'm sure they have a ton of cars to work on so maybe their price is reflecting that.

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
You are definitely not doing opg cs and cams in one day. Look up a thread on what's involved it's very time consuming and nowhere near easy. When you do oil pump gears only your primary chains are off, if you're doing cams you have a second set of chains and gears to mess with. Their quote seems high but I'm sure they have a ton of cars to work on so maybe their price is reflecting that.
I agree that it’s a decent amount of work, but to me it’s not $5k worth of work.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I agree, however once you do the work yourself you will know why they charge a good amount. Shop rate is over 100 an hour and there is a decent amount of labor for opg cs and cams

Sponsored

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What did they quote you for the Whippie install?
They told me $2.5K. Usually charges more but Im doing a bundle deal, whipple stage 2, opg/cs gear, boost gauge and mmr timing guides. Hit them up Carlos is a really nice guy and reasonable. I’m still waiting on my whipple kit sadly but soon as it comes in I’ll be scheduling the install with them.

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I agree, however once you do the work yourself you will know why they charge a good amount. Shop rate is over 100 an hour and there is a decent amount of labor for opg cs and cams
I don’t think it’s 48 hours worth of work…….

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Have you ever installed cams? I'd say 15+hours for cams and 15 to 20 for opg and cs. They are high I agree like I said labor isn't the only factor If you don't like the price then find another place

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GTR is a great shop, prices are high but it’s also due to the location. It has plenty of customers willing to pay. I would of loved to go there for install but I rather save where I can and build the car more.

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever installed cams? I'd say 15+hours for cams and 15 to 20 for opg and cs. They are high I agree like I said labor isn't the only factor If you don't like the price then find another place
I have cams on order, so I’ll find out how long it takes me to do the work, but I doubt it will take me 35-50 hours to do those 2 items.
Sponsored