Sponsored

So, has everyone made peace with the 2K rattle?

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
No peace here. I feel like mine is getting worse. I almost drove it off into a corn field today because it was driving me nuts when I was in traffic on a backroad today. I love the car otherwise, so this is really hard.
Have you had it up on a lift to inspect? I wonder if some adjustments/tightening are in order.
Sponsored

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Have you had it up on a lift to inspect? I wonder if some adjustments/tightening are in order.
The car is going in for service tomorrow. I'm going to ask if they might be able to take a quick peek, if not I will bring it in for a specific appointment soon after. I feel like the noise has been around since I at least got the car over a year ago. I didn't notice it at first and once I figured out the noise, it definitely changed my experience with the car. I feel like it's either gotten worse or I have gotten more impatient with it... not sure which.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
It's probably gotten worse. I dealt with the rattle on several mustangs over the years but when it was driving me crazy, it was connections that needed to be completely loosened and tightening back down newly adjusted.

Last edited:

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's probably gotten worse. I dealt with the rattle on several mustangs over the years but when it was driving me crazy, it was a connections that needed to be completely loosened and tightening back down newly adjusted.
So I just came back from the dealer. I told my service advisor about the 2k rattle in this car. He asked if I would go for a ride in my car with their lead service tech. I decided to do it, obviously with masks on in the current world. I let him drive the car and I rode in the passenger seat. I had him re-create the noise under the best circumstances for the noise.

He acknowledged the noise and said he hears it. He told me to him it's normal for these cars and said it's way more obvious in the manual transmission cars. After the test drive, he told me there's nothing wrong with my car and to enjoy it.

Not sure how I feel about it

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
So I just came back from the dealer. I told my service advisor about the 2k rattle in this car. He asked if I would go for a ride in my car with their lead service tech. I decided to do it, obviously with masks on in the current world. I let him drive the car and I rode in the passenger seat. I had him re-create the noise under the best circumstances for the noise.

He acknowledged the noise and said he hears it. He told me to him it's normal for these cars and said it's way more obvious in the manual transmission cars. After the test drive, he told me there's nothing wrong with my car and to enjoy it.

Exact same thing for me, I took it to 3 separate dealerships, 3 test drives with techs, all say “normal”, and mine is a 6sp manual.

There’s a guy onYouTube, Rushshift, who goes through the same process and filmed it all. The upshot is he had his car borescoped, and they didn’t find a thing.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It'd be awesome if Ford just told us what the hell the noise is, no? I haven't heard it that much lately, so contrary to Bschoon55, I'm probably ignoring it more lately. Ha ha. Since I doubt it has gotten better.

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It'd be awesome if Ford just told us what the hell the noise is, no? I haven't heard it that much lately, so contrary to Bschoon55, I'm probably ignoring it more lately. Ha ha. Since I doubt it has gotten better.
I do have a better outlook on it today. After having the lead service tech give me his thoughts, I had the service advisor plug my car's VIN into their Ford database to see if my car has had any warranty work done to it at all. (I bought it with 7k miles on it used over a year ago).

Although I had full access to the CarFax, sometimes warranty work is left out or not on there by mistake. I was happy to hear that my car has had no warranty work done to it at all. Just normal oil changes. It's an older 2018 GT, that has been on the road for 3 years in a couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear nothing serious has been changed in the car due to the 2k rattle, or anything else.

That gives me some confidence in the car, that if it has been running for pretty much 3 years about the same... hopefully it keeps doing that. I'm feeling better about today than I was yesterday.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I do have a better outlook on it today. After having the lead service tech give me his thoughts, I had the service advisor plug my car's VIN into their Ford database to see if my car has had any warranty work done to it at all. (I bought it with 7k miles on it used over a year ago).

Although I had full access to the CarFax, sometimes warranty work is left out or not on there by mistake. I was happy to hear that my car has had no warranty work done to it at all. Just normal oil changes. It's an older 2018 GT, that has been on the road for 3 years in a couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear nothing serious has been changed in the car due to the 2k rattle, or anything else.

That gives me some confidence in the car, that if it has been running for pretty much 3 years about the same... hopefully it keeps doing that. I'm feeling better about today than I was yesterday.
I just crossed the 14k mile mark. Bought it new, and have had 2 oil changes and that’s it. Rattle has been exactly the same since I first noticed it at around 1k miles. Oh, I did do 1 thing, BG Syncho shift fluid for the tranny (6sp).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Enjoy it and put the annoying 2k rattle in the far back of your mind. Only worry if it stops because that wont be normal. Mine has done it since I drove it off the lot and the 2020 (17 miles on it) I just test drove for the hell of it also has it. It's supposed to be there just like the amazing sounding exhaust.

kcline145

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kale
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Let me wake up this fun topic again. Does anyone have the 2k rattle at 7k rpm too or just me lol. Raped the car through the gears with the windows down and noticed it has the same rattle noise at about 7k the sound just matches the rpm so a lot faster rattle. I have a stock 16 manifold and 7k is limit on air flow so would that have anything to do with it being choked down idk. Doing a bore scope and compression test this weekend out of curiosity and to check for scoring. Just deciding if i should take it into consideration or full send it with 8psi from twin wu tang war whistles until i build a shortblock.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am completely at peace with my 2k rattle. I couldnt become at peace with the tapping but ceratec fixed that. The 2k rattle is still on my car since brand new but I now have over 47k miles on the car and over 750 rwhp and have hit like 8400 rpm on accident like 20 times and the motor is fine and loves it. knock on wood.

kcline145

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kale
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I am completely at peace with my 2k rattle. I couldnt become at peace with the tapping but ceratec fixed that. The 2k rattle is still on my car since brand new but I now have over 47k miles on the car and over 750 rwhp and have hit like 8400 rpm on accident like 20 times and the motor is fine and loves it. knock on wood.
Have you ever noticed the rattle at any other engine speed? The 2k doesnt bother me too much but at 7k rpm that noise is unpleasant and a little concerning. Dont know what to think about it.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
Enjoy it and put the annoying 2k rattle in the far back of your mind. Only worry if it stops because that wont be normal. Mine has done it since I drove it off the lot and the 2020 (17 miles on it) I just test drove for the hell of it also has it. It's supposed to be there just like the amazing sounding exhaust.
Should I be worried, I don't have the 2K rattle? j/k

kcline145

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kale
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Should I be worried, I don't have the 2K rattle? j/k
My car is so loud now without cats whippled with the whine mod that it just basically sounds like an explosion at WOT lol. seriously this is what a tunnel blast sounds like now :

I think I have noticed it get quite a bit louder at times at high RPMs at times but idk if I was just letting off or what caused it but my car didnt break. The noise I am referring to may be at the very end of this pull right when I let off

My car is so loud now without cats whippled with the whine mod that it just basically sounds like an explosion at WOT lol. seriously this is what a tunnel blast sounds like now :

I think I have noticed it get quite a bit louder at times at high RPMs at times but idk if I was just letting off or what caused it but my car didnt break. The noise I am referring to may be at the very end of this pull right when I let off

Im gonna see if i can get a decent sound clip of it. My cars loud as hell too idk if ill be able to get it but ill try.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Let me wake up this fun topic again. Does anyone have the 2k rattle at 7k rpm too or just me lol. Raped the car through the gears with the windows down and noticed it has the same rattle noise at about 7k the sound just matches the rpm so a lot faster rattle. I have a stock 16 manifold and 7k is limit on air flow so would that have anything to do with it being choked down idk. Doing a bore scope and compression test this weekend out of curiosity and to check for scoring. Just deciding if i should take it into consideration or full send it with 8psi from twin wu tang war whistles until i build a shortblock.
The 2k rattle is typically only associated with the 2018+ MY. Note I said typically. But to answer your main question, no I don't. My engine sounds very healthy building up speed. It sounds the worst at idle. The problem with "rattle" is that it's a vague description with multiple symptoms sharing a similar sound. The steps you're taking are what I'd do if I was worried. I'd also start logging to make sure it's not pinging you're hearing.
Sponsored