Sponsored

Snow/Rain mode effect on driving dynamics/fuel economy?

DTMR19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue EcoBoost 101A Package
I own/daily drive a Kona Blue manual 2018 EB 101A. I have the selectable drive modes (Normal, Sport, Track, Drag, & Snow/Rain)
I previously drove an 05 Honda CRV. The throttle response, power, and automatic transmission were a little different than my 18' EB.
Driving around in Snow/Rain mode has helped myself adjust to daily driving a manual car. It also stops me from going "mustang mode" and drifting turns or chirping my tires.

*Can driving in Snow/Rain mode in normal/dry conditions harm my new mustang? Does it provide any benefits to fuel economy?*
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
No harm in wet mode.just gives you grandma throttle respones.
but what's the point in owning this car if you cannot drive it as it was intended?
A little different from your CRV????? You must be joking.
Personally, I put mine in sport mode every time I start the car.I

You just need some time to get used to it.

OP
OP
DTMR19

DTMR19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I cannot drive the car “as it’s intended” around a college campus where students are constantly crossing the street. There must be over 100 protected crosswalks. The traffic during class periods is similar to DC rush hour so a lazy throttle response is helpful when I get caught in it.
(I have already made contact with the local police while driving it “as intended” around campus.)

I was hoping someone would have some info/stats on the effects this mode has on fuel efficiency.* I got a 1100 mile roadtrip coming up. Was hoping to save some gas and curious if the snow/rain mode acted as an eco mode also. I noticed traction control is very sensitive in the mode too.

No harm in wet mode.just gives you grandma throttle respones.
but what's the point in owning this car if you cannot drive it as it was intended?
A little different from your CRV????? You must be joking.
Personally, I put mine in sport mode every time I start the car.I

You just need some time to get used to it.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I haven't tried driving for an extended period in snow/rain, but I would bet it improves mileage. Sport mode doesn't upshift nearly as quickly as Normal, and knocks my mileage down to around 20mpg on my commute. Normal mode is usually around 22-23mpg, so a significant difference. Maybe next tank I'll try staying in Rain/Snow and see how the mileage does. To me, the whole car bogs down in R/S, which is what you want in slick weather. Trans upshifts shifts quickly but kind of mushy, and throttle is really lazy. Magneride is really soft if you have that option. If I had my preference, I'd run sport suspension and normal throttle most of the time and save R/S for actual rainy days.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I own/daily drive a Kona Blue manual 2018 EB 101A. I have the selectable drive modes (Normal, Sport, Track, Drag, & Snow/Rain)
I previously drove an 05 Honda CRV. The throttle response, power, and automatic transmission were a little different than my 18' EB.
Driving around in Snow/Rain mode has helped myself adjust to daily driving a manual car. It also stops me from going "mustang mode" and drifting turns or chirping my tires.

*Can driving in Snow/Rain mode in normal/dry conditions harm my new mustang? Does it provide any benefits to fuel economy?*
My owner's manual says nothing about possible damage to the vehicle by using Snow/Wet mode. I believe there would be a warning if this were a possibility. The manual is a bit circumspect about exactly what the PCM is doing when using Snow/Wet mode, but you can tell by driving it at the very least throttle response is muted. The other two functions related to driving are the traction and stability control systems. Traction control limits rear wheel spin during acceleration, and stability control applies brakes at each wheel independently to prevent/correct skids or slides. Traction/stability control systems are engaged in all driving modes unless you turn them off manually. According to the manual, the PCM engages a "performance oriented" traction control mode when you select the "Track" driving mode.

If you are, as you say, unable to avoid "Mustang mode" when driving the car then you very likely will see gains in fuel economy by driving in the Snow/Wet mode (at least in city driving--see below). The fact is, however, you can see the same economy gains with the car in ANY driving mode if you exercise self control.

Snow/Wet mode only affects economy during acceleration; it does nothing at highway speed. To maintain any given speed requires a given amount of horsepower, which requires a given amount of fuel. Because you will maintaining a steady speed (not constantly accelerating/decelerating) use of the Snow/Wet mode will have far less effect on economy than cruising speed. Ford has not been forthcoming with data about aerodynamics for this car, but we know the EPA estimates for highway mileage are computed based on 55 mph. I can say that for my car ('17 Premium/Manual/3.31 gears) driving above 70 mph seriously reduces mileage. I average around 29.5 mpg (85%/15% highway/city) if I keep it at or below 70 mph. At 75 that drops to around 28 mpg; at 80 mph it drops further to around 25 mpg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DTMR19

DTMR19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I haven't tried driving for an extended period in snow/rain, but I would bet it improves mileage. Sport mode doesn't upshift nearly as quickly as Normal, and knocks my mileage down to around 20mpg on my commute. Normal mode is usually around 22-23mpg, so a significant difference. Maybe next tank I'll try staying in Rain/Snow and see how the mileage does. To me, the whole car bogs down in R/S, which is what you want in slick weather. Trans upshifts shifts quickly but kind of mushy, and throttle is really lazy. Magneride is really soft if you have that option. If I had my preference, I'd run sport suspension and normal throttle most of the time and save R/S for actual rainy days.
I have a 101A package and a manual transmission. (Drive modes, non PP, no magnaride) I have an 1100 mile road trip coming up that I want get better fuel economy on. Im currently at the Ford dealership getting my first oil change at 1,901 miles. They say its VERY early but my oil looked dirty. My EB hit the original dealer lot 4/20/18 so I wanted to change to oil before my extended trip coming up.

OP
OP
DTMR19

DTMR19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My owner's manual says nothing about possible damage to the vehicle by using Snow/Wet mode. I believe there would be a warning if this were a possibility. The manual is a bit circumspect about exactly what the PCM is doing when using Snow/Wet mode, but you can tell by driving it at the very least throttle response is muted. The other two functions related to driving are the traction and stability control systems. Traction control limits rear wheel spin during acceleration, and stability control applies brakes at each wheel independently to prevent/correct skids or slides. Traction/stability control systems are engaged in all driving modes unless you turn them off manually. According to the manual, the PCM engages a "performance oriented" traction control mode when you select the "Track" driving mode.

If you are, as you say, unable to avoid "Mustang mode" when driving the car then you very likely will see gains in fuel economy by driving in the Snow/Wet mode (at least in city driving--see below). The fact is, however, you can see the same economy gains with the car in ANY driving mode if you exercise self control.

Snow/Wet mode only affects economy during acceleration; it does nothing at highway speed. To maintain any given speed requires a given amount of horsepower, which requires a given amount of guel. Because you will be maintaining a stead speed (not contantly accelerating/decelerating) use of the Snow/Wet mode will have far less effect on economy than cruising speed. Ford has not been forthcoming with data about aerodynamics for this car, but we know the EPA estimates for highway mileage are computed based on 55 mph. I can say that for my car ('17 Premium/Manual/3.31 gears) driving above 70 mph seriously reduces mileage. I average around 29.5 mpg (85%/15% highway/city) if I keep it at or below 70 mph. At 75 that drops to around 28 mpg; at 80 mph it drops further to around 25 mpg.
Mustang mode AKA flooring it to show off and almost ending up on youtube

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Doesn’t the Rain/Snow mode pull timing, which would explain the dull reaction of the engine?

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
It takes a lot of the torque out, it’s actuallt a big help in deep snow from a stop. I was in a semi blizzard last year, it just helps you get out or the whole, on normal mode I was definitely slipping more to get traction. With really good winter tires its pretty manageable though. Except when it really comes down, then clearance is a problem. I love the reactions from people when im out in the snow though.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Doesn’t the Rain/Snow mode pull timing, which would explain the dull reaction of the engine?
Despite a significant search effort, I've been unable to find anything online that specifically says what the PCM is doing. I would assume there is a reduction in throttle response, an increase in interventions by the traction/stability controls systems, and likely reduced maximum engine power output. The power reduction could be accomplished by pulling timing or limiting boost.

If anyone has data on what the PCM is doing I'd like to read it.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I toyed with this question a lot as well before I was pro tuned. Never found out. I found it more of a hindrance and even borderline dangerous when I tried to experiment with it. Pulling out into traffic or merging on the highway in Florida was fun in that, "Oh shit, I forgot I have no power," moment with a dozen cars charging up on my ass.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Despite a significant search effort, I've been unable to find anything online that specifically says what the PCM is doing. I would assume there is a reduction in throttle response, an increase in interventions by the traction/stability controls systems, and likely reduced maximum engine power output. The power reduction could be accomplished by pulling timing or limiting boost.

If anyone has data on what the PCM is doing I'd like to read it.
Yes, I’d like to know and read more about the subject matter as well. I’m also surprised that by now, especially being 4-almost 5 model years into the S550 there’s not a lot of info available about that mode (from a tech/PCM standpoint).

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I toyed with this question a lot as well before I was pro tuned. Never found out. I found it more of a hindrance and even borderline dangerous when I tried to experiment with it. Pulling out into traffic or merging on the highway in Florida was fun in that, "Oh shit, I forgot I have no power," moment with a dozen cars charging up on my ass.
I found out my low pressure sensor went belly up when my car decided to overboost and cut all power merging on to 414 from OBT at 5pm one night, can’t imagine what driving around in cripple mode would be like around here. It’s amazing when you think you just blew the motor, but don’t give a damn because you’re about to get run over and it’s still running LOL
Sponsored