Sponsored

Slight wiggle in steering wheel

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
My new 2017 Shelby GT 350 (convenience pkg.) has had a little wiggle in the steering wheel (slight) if I let go of it. I don't feel it and the car doesn't seem out of alignment. I've made sure tire pressure is at 32lbs. all the way around. And on perfectly smooth new highway it does it, but it is the same with lower or higher speeds. Also doesn't matter what mode I'm in. I'm taking car in Thurs. to have tire balance checked at a reputable tire shop that won't scratch my rims. Car did sit at dealership gotten from in dealer trade since early last fall. Hoping just a flat spot on tire if not balance that will work its way out (now have 380 miles on car, had 10 when I got it) Dealership says if not balance if flat spot it should eventually work out, hope so. Its really not noticeable unless I let go of steering wheel. Like said don't feel it. Reason I even question it is my 2016 tech pack. I traded in for it never ever did that. Steering wheel always was perfectly smooth on smooth hwy.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
What do you mean wiggle? you saying if you let it go it moves a little?

OP
OP

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The steering wheel moves like a wiggle a little left and right. Just like they will on cars with a wheel out of balance. But not enough you feel it. And if you have your hand on steering wheel you don't feel or see it doing it at all.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The steering wheel moves like a wiggle a little left and right. Just like they will on cars with a wheel out of balance. But not enough you feel it. And if you have your hand on steering wheel you don't feel or see it doing it at all.
Is there a dead spot? Can you move the wheel without the car reacting?

If not it sounds normal, how did you notice this issue?

OP
OP

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No dead spot if move wheel car reacts. I happened to notice when driving down a smooth highway and let go of it and looked at it and saw it was slightly wiggling. And have noticed ever since if let go even lower speeds. As said other car didn't do it. Probably nothing for concern. But will get tire balance just to eliminate that possibility. Car drives perfectly. Thanks

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
check your steering linkage!!!! you can see it from the engine bay. if the bolt joining the two halves is loose you will have play.

OP
OP

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok thanks

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
bent rim, out of round tire, I'm running 36 all round. put them on balance machine and visually inspect the least amount of run out causes problem. Out of round is the biggest problem with tires. My dealer will get two sets of tires in for so he can get 4 round ones, because I come back and complain. I also bent rims on ever vehicle owned, alum rims are so soft an low profile tires makes easy to bend. I had pot hole ruin a rim. With such low mileage and you say from day one dealer should make good. Anybody from unloading to driving around the lot could have caused it.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Like as in a shake or seemingly random moving as you go along? I almost wonder if you're referring to tramlining.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Do you not feel it with your hand on the wheel? Does it 'wiggle' at the same rate when going slow as going fast? With EPAS I would wonder if the sensor is acting goofy when it doesnt sense any input load and is providing assistance from one direction to the other rapidly in response. Might have that looked at after insuring the linkage bolt isnt coming loose.

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
As others mentioned, likely a tire issue - imbalance, flat spot, or out-of-round. But, steering system should at least be subject to a visual inspection to make sure everything is tight, including lug nuts.

Fixes for tire issues - re-balance, drive for a while on warmer days to get more heat into the tire and "relax" the flat spot, and either a slight shaving or replacement to get rid of out-of-round.

OP
OP

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow up on this. My reputable tire shop checked and showed me that since our rims are a forged rim that my left front was slightly out of round and the right front also but not as much. And that is causing the slight wiggle in steering wheel. The balance was right on. He said there is nothing else he can do that it is more common than not for a forged wheel to be slightly not true round but it will wear a little more on tire where its off center. So I guess that's that. I could haggle with Ford to try to get new rims (my car has less than 500 miles on it) but who's to say not the same issue with one or both if new ones. Plus very likely to get rims scratched having tires remounted on new rims every tire shop in town said. And my reputable tire shop can't mount those rims.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
If its causing a wiggle get it replaced. Straight rims aren't hard to get. If the rim edges are not damaged it wasn't you. Complain now before mileage goes up. If you can see the wobble on the balance machine they are BAD! Your dealer will help

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
If its causing a wiggle get it replaced. Straight rims aren't hard to get. If the rim edges are not damaged it wasn't you. Complain now before mileage goes up. If you can see the wobble on the balance machine they are BAD! Your dealer will help

What he said ^^^

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Follow up on this. My reputable tire shop checked and showed me that since our rims are a forged rim that my left front was slightly out of round and the right front also but not as much. And that is causing the slight wiggle in steering wheel. The balance was right on. He said there is nothing else he can do that it is more common than not for a forged wheel to be slightly not true round but it will wear a little more on tire where its off center. So I guess that's that. I could haggle with Ford to try to get new rims (my car has less than 500 miles on it) but who's to say not the same issue with one or both if new ones. Plus very likely to get rims scratched having tires remounted on new rims every tire shop in town said. And my reputable tire shop can't mount those rims.
But you dont feel this in the wheel?
Sponsored