Sponsored

Sirus

jaymayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silver 5.0
It's satellite and last I checked if there's no view of the sky or satellites it will cut out, totally normal. Every car I have been in with satellite radio does the same thing. Pandora works going under an overpass because it's using a cellular signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's not technically the only reason it works, it actually loads the song in a temp cache so there are no interruptions before the song is over. Which is why you can listen to the end of a song even after your phone loses a signal.
Sponsored

OP
OP

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That's too bad. You think that after all these years, they would have found a solution for this. And I'm not talking about breaking the laws of physics. I'm talking about ways around it. Years ago people thought that you can't bring ground water into buildings. Well, look what happened. :)

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
That's not technically the only reason it works, it actually loads the song in a temp cache so there are no interruptions before the song is over. Which is why you can listen to the end of a song even after your phone loses a signal.
Good to know.

That's too bad. You think that after all these years, they would have found a solution for this. And I'm not talking about breaking the laws of physics. I'm talking about ways around it. Years ago people thought that you can't bring ground water into buildings. Well, look what happened. :)
You would think but I have found at least with my Directv I don't loose signal with rain too often anymore so it's definitely improved over the years. It has to be a monsoon to loose signal these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Again not breaking the laws of physics. There is a difference between a "live broadcast" and a loaded data file. There are no "ways around" physics. What you want are technological advances. The solution is already out there but what people are willing to "pay" for it is another thing. Broadcast data isn't free and communications companies have a stranglehold on transmission of data.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Sirriusxm does cache a few seconds of music. That's why you don't lose the song when you go under an overpass pretty quick but if you're blocked from the satellite for more than 3 to 5 seconds it's normal to lose all audio. My old Mustang did the same thing I don't think there's anything wrong with your radio

Sponsored

Johnny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Premium
I believe SiriusXM also uses local transmitters in urban areas to augment and reduce satellite reception problems. Even that can't get a signal everywhere.

OP
OP

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sirriusxm does cache a few seconds of music. That's why you don't lose the song when you go under an overpass pretty quick but if you're blocked from the satellite for more than 3 to 5 seconds it's normal to lose all audio. My old Mustang did the same thing I don't think there's anything wrong with your radio
I'm glad to know it's not my car.

OP
OP

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I believe SiriusXM also uses local transmitters in urban areas to augment and reduce satellite reception problems. Even that can't get a signal everywhere.
This is kind of what I'm talking about. I would think that after being in the business for so long that XM would have found ways around it. I guess they are trying but it isn't perfect yet. At least they are trying.

OP
OP

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What you want are technological advances.
That's what I've been trying to say all along. I wasn't suggesting that the industry defy the laws of physics. I was trying to suggest that they would have found ways around this problem given the advances we have had over the years.

But as you and another poster have said, they have tried, but it's not there yet. Or maybe it is. But we don't want to pay for it.

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
This is kind of what I'm talking about. I would think that after being in the business for so long that XM would have found ways around it. I guess they are trying but it isn't perfect yet. At least they are trying.
You can't find a way around it. You are talking about trying to transmit a signal thru a few feet of concrete and re-bar. If you were to place your Dish or DirecTV satellite dish under a concrete overpass it would also not work. This would also be true of satcom that we use in the military as well. They could use other technology that is terrestrial based but that wouldn't be cost effective due to the amount of spectrum that would be required.

Sponsored

Special50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th Anniversary Special Edition
That issue is normal, happens in my mom's Hyundai, happened in my last car (fusion hybrid) and happens here. Overpasses parking garages and trees. Sirius sound quality sucks compared to HD radio or my phone. Does anyone have experience with Sirius actually sounding clear compared to another digital source?

OP
OP

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good to know it's not just with my car or with Ford. Then again, is it really a good thing that there are limitations to Sirus?

I have noticed poor quality as well.