Sponsored

Single Tire Replacement?

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I haven't been here in quite a while. Good to be back! I'm sure this question has come up before but I'm failing to find anything. Slap me around if I've made a redundant thread :)

I have a 2018 Mustang GT (non PP). Caught a chunk of metal at the very edge of the tread where it meets the sidewall, so plugging is not possible - I have the mini spare on now. No major hurry as I don't drive much currently. I know there are a couple of avenues to take, but would like some feedback.

Although the car is pushing 3 years old, I only have 10,000 miles on what are the original tires (I have the stock 18" Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons). As far as current tread wear, I am between 7 and 8/32nds remaining. The specs say this tire comes 11/32 new. I am a pretty boring mustang driver so I haven't been beating on the tires hard, nor do I feel the need for anything too special in terms of tires.

Taking into account that the tires are 3 years old, yet only 10,000 miles on them, I am torn between buying two new tires OR ordering 1 from tire rack and having them shave the tread down to match the remaining tread of the other three. I know both options work, I'm just overanalyzing. Due to the tread difference, I am operating under the mindset that slapping a single new tire on without shaving is a no-go - but correct me if I'm wrong. I have spent a very small amount of time looking for used tires, so I suppose that's an option too - though I'm less into that idea.

I appreciate your opinions.
Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would buy two, and keep the remaining 10,000 mile one as a back up in case anything like this ever happens again.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I had a rear replaced at 8k and another at 20k due to not being able to repair each one. No problem, no need to shave.
Sponsored