Power Stop rear brakes

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
I bought a set of Power Stop rotors and pads for the Mustang. They are Carbon/Ceramic pads. The pads in the rear are producing a HUGE amount of brake dust on both sides. Should I buy different pads? Should I ???

Thanks for any input
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using powertstop pads\rotors, along with Detroit axle which is even cheaper and same quality, on my other cars because lets be honest they're cheaper. I change out rotors and pads every single time, front and back (buddy does it). But they don't last anywhere near as long as OEM. I actually had a powerstop rotor snap. If you have ever had a rotor in your hand you know how hard that would seem to be to happen. Will I use them on my 10 year old cars? Yes because I don't put much miles on them but I would not use them on my mustang.

OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
Did you have excessive brake dust? I'm mean it's literally covering the whole wheel in a 1 hour drive. The car gets driven less than 3000 miles a year.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have excessive brake dust? I'm mean it's literally covering the whole wheel in a 1 hour drive. The car gets driven less than 3000 miles a year.
No never but I put them on a Malibu and a Avalanche. The braking setup isn't anything as advanced as a performance car is. I drive them like a grandma on Sunday would drive them.

OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
I baby it most of the time. The only difference in the oem compared to power stop is the chamfer on the ends. Would that cause it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else?

OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
So I bought a set of oem ceramic pads. They look way different than the power stops. I'll see how they work when it dries up out.

93coupe/stroked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost base auto metalic
China made stuff..................
Have them on my Nissan Titan and who cares about brake dust on a work truck.................

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
They should not be dusting. I have a buddy that is going to run the Power Stops at Road Atlanta next month for sh.ts and giggles to see what happens. He has a PP2 and switched out his Brembos for them. I don't get any excessive dusting on mine. Where they bedded in correctly...though I would think the bedding process would affect the fronts more than the rears but who knows.

Oh which model brakes and pads did you buy? I forgot they have a couple of options.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Something isn’t right. PowerStop ceramic Z26s here with Raybestos slotted rotors...zero dust. Ever.

Did you back out the caliper piston all the way when installing? Are you sure you bought the right model pad? It seems like the pads are constantly pressing against the rotor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
I haven't driven it yet. The oem ceramic pads look way different than the carbon ceramic pads that came with the kit.
I have Power Stop on my Z32 and my Civic with no problems.

OP
OP
Jmesl8er

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
The caliper piston will stop when it's in all the way? I couldn't turn it anymore. I'll try again today. It seems like you guys are correct that the pads are rubbing. That's got to be the only way the brake dust is so uniform.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I swapped out the factory pads to Power Stops to get rid of dust. And it worked flawlessly.
Sponsored