Silver car owners

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question. On my Ingot Silver GT the paint looks excellent except the hood. It's very shiny like the rest of the car but the silver color has a very mottled look, unlike the rest of the car. Is this a Silver color thing?
Thanks to all who respond!
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Never noticed anything like that. I clay barred, glazed and jet sealed the paint. Washed and waxed the paint many times and never noticed anything. I also have 1/3 of the hood protected with paint protection film which is from the front edge of the hood to the top of the hood vents.

Last edited:

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Our's is pretty weak as far as OEM paint quality goes. In the right sun you can see exactly where the flake within the paint went on heavy, went on light, etc, etc. We were going to ask our dealer about it all but TBH the less time the dealer has the car the better.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 gt/cs looks fine overall and evenly shiny.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
I dont think I've ever noticed. Do you have any pictures?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CS19

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It's very hard to see unless the light is coming from the front of the car while it's in the garage. I think it's just a function of a production paint job. I'll try to get a pic, tomorrow.

OP
OP
CS19

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Our's is pretty weak as far as OEM paint quality goes. In the right sun you can see exactly where the flake within the paint went on heavy, went on light, etc, etc. We were going to ask our dealer about it all but TBH the less time the dealer has the car the better.
YES! Any time spent at the dealer, for anything, is bad in my opinion. And, yes, what you descibed is exactly what I'm seeing. I believe that Silver is a tough color to get an even reflectance on large panels, particularly if the quality control is not there.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
On the bright side ingot silver has worked well against the time with rock chips, the chips appear more light grey on silver, so easier touch up vs the other colors which are white on blue black red etc.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
On the bright side ingot silver has worked well against the time with rock chips, the chips appear more light grey on silver, so easier touch up vs the other colors which are white on blue black red etc.
What are you using to touch it up and how well does it come out? I have a few big dings in my driver's door that are deep enough that it's all the way through.

I should have just bit the bullet and had the entire damned thing coated in SunTek.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
What are you using to touch it up and how well does it come out? I have a few big dings in my driver's door that are deep enough that it's all the way through.

I should have just bit the bullet and had the entire damned thing coated in SunTek.
Motorcraft UX Ingot Silver touch up pen, but I get small rock chips, you would need something else for big dings? I guess it is that the bumper primer seems to be light grey not black on my car.
Sponsored