Show me your stripes!

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Had my stripes put on today. Love the look of the stripes. If anyone on here is in the Nashville, TN area, hit up The Wrap Lab in Franklin, TN. Rich Novia and his crew there are top notch.
Looks great.

Having the same stripes added to mine. The only difference being I will get them slightly wider (up to the hood vents)
Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
This thread is really putting the zap on my head. One of the biggest motivations for going grabber blue in the first place was to go with high gloss black stripes with the white pin stripes on the edges - all the way down the front/back bumpers to the valence, but now that we have the car no one wants me to pull the trigger on them.

So those of you who've installed these yourselves vs. having a shop do it - what was the budget and would you EVER consider removing them? Dumb question I know, but I'm new to this thing so don't smack me around too much. Just collecting info.

...somebody talk me into doing this in other words. The wife thinks the car is good as-is.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
This thread is really putting the zap on my head. One of the biggest motivations for going grabber blue in the first place was to go with high gloss black stripes with the white pin stripes on the edges - all the way down the front/back bumpers to the valence, but now that we have the car no one wants me to pull the trigger on them.

So those of you who've installed these yourselves vs. having a shop do it - what was the budget and would you EVER consider removing them? Dumb question I know, but I'm new to this thing so don't smack me around too much. Just collecting info.

...somebody talk me into doing this in other words. The wife thinks the car is good as-is.
I installed mine but my father in law helped put tape dead center in each area (center space where no vinyl will be put on). All you do is measure each area and find the center point for each side and mark it. Once you have that, the process is easy. Soapy water and a flat plastic squeegee there on. Stripes come into the tape lines set up previously and then you start taking out all the excess water using the squeegee and applying low heat. For pin stripes, if you are not leaving any gap, they come in easily as you slide it into the installed stripe (soapy water, squeegee, and low heat process). It took me about 5-6 hours to do. If you have the patience, attention to detail, and time, then do it on your own. Otherwise, have a shop do it which can be costly ($130-150/hr + material + taxes + any extra fees). There is a lot of install videos that facilitate this for you on YouTube. May want to do a quick search to see if this is something you want to do on your own. After having the stripes installed for over a year, I actually want to take them off to do a new look. Not that I got bored of the stripes because it looks amazing and makes the car stand out a lot, but I want to do new things to mine so changing up the look. I want a more cleaner look. So that said, stripes coming off and just vinyling the top roof in gloss black or gloss carbon fiber. I have an install video for the pin stripes just find me on YouTube or I can share the link if you want. Just let me know.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I installed mine but my father in law helped put tape dead center in each area (center space where no vinyl will be put on). All you do is measure each area and find the center point for each side and mark it. Once you have that, the process is easy. Soapy water and a flat plastic squeegee there on. Stripes come into the tape lines set up previously and then you start taking out all the excess water using the squeegee and applying low heat. For pin stripes, if you are not leaving any gap, they come in easily as you slide it into the installed stripe (soapy water, squeegee, and low heat process). It took me about 5-6 hours to do. If you have the patience, attention to detail, and time, then do it on your own. Otherwise, have a shop do it which can be costly ($130-150/hr + material + taxes + any extra fees). There is a lot of install videos that facilitate this for you on YouTube. May want to do a quick search to see if this is something you want to do on your own. After having the stripes installed for over a year, I actually want to take them off to do a new look. Not that I got bored of the stripes because it looks amazing and makes the car stand out a lot, but I want to do new things to mine so changing up the look. I want a more cleaner look. So that said, stripes coming off and just vinyling the top roof in gloss black or gloss carbon fiber. I have an install video for the pin stripes just find me on YouTube or I can share the link if you want. Just let me know.
Thank you for all of that valuable info, and yes I'll look your video up.

I have no concerns about trying this myself - none at all. I'm just wondering what the material costs are and whether having someone do it (I've got a pretty nasty work schedule) or doing it myself is a big enough delta to make a difference.

That being said I really want to stick to my original plan. I think wheels/tires upgrade makes the stripes look a hell of a lot better too though.

Sponsored

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)

I have no concerns about trying this myself - none at all. I'm just wondering what the material costs are and whether having someone do it (I've got a pretty nasty work schedule) or doing it myself is a big enough delta to make a difference.

That being said I really want to stick to my original plan. I think wheels/tires upgrade makes the stripes look a hell of a lot better too though.
Do the stripes! I had mine installed, but could have done it myself, I'm a bit OCD and figured if I did it, it might take me 2 weeks measuring :) Shop took about 5 hours.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wheels/Tires upgrade is a MUST. I did that last due to cost, but if you have the money, do that first. Cost for stripe materials can range anywhere from $100-500 (depends on quality/design/brand). I paid $80-100 buying a whole stripes kit in eBay (quality was decent, but not the best). I used a hair blow dryer, my own bottle with soap and water, and I already had a plastic squeegee. So, for me, that was my total cost ($80-100) lol. So, I think if you go with a shop you could be paying a good $750 all the way to the $1,000+ range for everything.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance

Definitely do the stripes, but have a reputable shop do it. I paid $500 for mine labor and material. Lastly all of our wives will say it’s good enough, but we all know it isn’t true :cheers:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I should have [MENTION=29553]BoosTang23T[/MENTION] put on my hood stripes for me lol. I started with my rocker panel stripes but since it didn't come with guides at all, I noticed I messed up so I only have it on the driver side for now and the rest sitting in a closet at home.

I think most people consider taking off their stripes at some point or another though. You go vinyl sometimes exactly for that reason, because you're not sure if you want it permanently. There's also price, but I've seen some ridiculous vinyl quotes where I question why not just go for paint.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like I should have [MENTION=29553]BoosTang23T[/MENTION] put on my hood stripes for me lol. I started with my rocker panel stripes but since it didn't come with guides at all, I noticed I messed up so I only have it on the driver side for now and the rest sitting in a closet at home.

I think most people consider taking off their stripes at some point or another though. You go vinyl sometimes exactly for that reason, because you're not sure if you want it permanently. There's also price, but I've seen some ridiculous vinyl quotes where I question why not just go for paint.
I am open to do it lol... Just won't be $100 though, lol. $500 is the lowest I'd do... You'd be surprise, but local people here have asked me to do jobs for them... I just send the business to my father in law for big things like stripes. I have done other work on people's car here like the tinted lights and plasti-dip. My father in law has a body shop and is specialized in Ferraris so other cars are a piece a cake for him lol.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I am open to do it lol... Just won't be $100 though, lol. $500 is the lowest I'd do... You'd be surprise, but local people here have asked me to do jobs for them... I just send the business to my father in law for big things like stripes. I have done other work on people's car here like the tinted lights and plasti-dip. My father in law has a body shop and is specialized in Ferraris so other cars are a piece a cake for him lol.
Yeah I got a quote of about $500 from one of the Swap Shop guys up here and just noped out. I've got the California Special style stripes and that's all I'm putting on whenever I get around to it because I can't justify paying anything like that for stripes I spent less than $80 on!

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I got a quote of about $500 from one of the Swap Shop guys up here and just noped out. I've got the California Special style stripes and that's all I'm putting on whenever I get around to it because I can't justify paying anything like that for stripes I spent less than $80 on!
Yeah that's why I did it myself. A shop standard cost is $110-150/hr so $500 is within that range. This job can take anywhere from 3-6 hours to do. It's not easy, but if you have a long weekend you can do it in parts. It's just time consuming and must have patience.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance