Sponsored

Should waste gates release any air at idle?

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I was under my car while it was running with my new hellion low mount kit and one of my waste gates is blowing a very small amount of air out the dump. I am wondering if this is normal or do I need to pull the gate and inspect it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Wastegates job is to send excess exhaust out the dump to control boost and to stay shut in order to help build boost. A leaking waste gate may cause your turbo to spool slower as the leak creates a pressure drop in the manifold and will result in a slower spool up until you reach "full" boost at which point the waste gates open and close to maintain that boost and it's less of a issue. If it's a very minor leak and you aren't seeing it affecting you spool times, I'd ignore it how ever that's me and im lazy sometimes. If it was someone else car I would say take it apart and see if it's leaking around the v-band or through the waste gate valve seat or whatever it's called(I dont recall)

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It should not open until desired boost level is reached.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
It should not open until desired boost level is reached.
I understood his question as it's closed, but leaking a little bit of exhaust, which would be different from it actually being open. Maybe something got caught in the seat, v-band is loose, or it's not shutting 100%

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I understood his question as it's closed, but leaking a little bit of exhaust, which would be different from it actually being open. Maybe something got caught in the seat, v-band is loose, or it's not shutting 100%
Yes it is just a slight amount of air coming through it. I might blow some air through bottom port to force it open and see if any trash falls out.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Agreed

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Pulled the gate back off the car and went through it. Nothing looked wrong but it quit leaking when I put it back together.
Sponsored