Sponsored

Should I rustproof and undercoat a brand new Mustang 2016 GT?

MustangPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Hey guys,

Placed my order for 2016 Mustang GT Cali. Special Convertible on Nov 30th/2015.

This is my first Mustang and my first car so I am extremely excited and can't wait to hear back from the dealership regarding any updates. They promised 6 - 8 weeks, so far nothing but hopefully it will be here soon.

When I placed the order at the dealership, we had a fairly bad experience with the financial rep. trying to up sale us on rust proofing and undercoating the car and I just wanted to hear your opinion regarding doing this.

He presented a lot of facts but I have never owned a car before and asked if I can have some time to think about it and research a bit. I read somewhere that rustproofing might not be necessary since newer cars are extremely rust resistant due to recent advancement in metal technology and the Mustang should be no exception.

I live in Southwestern Ontario and do plan to drive the car in winter, although I will borrow my dad's SUV for the really bad days.

Could the experienced car owners please let me know what you think about this? Should I rustproof and undercoat the new Mustang once it arrives? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored

moddirtrcr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Congratulations on your new Mustang!

I would say if you do decide to have the rust inhibitor applied have it done yourself at a local Ziebart dealer. Unsure if they have locations in your area but the dealer is certainly going to mark up the cost for the treatment. I know that for sure as I work at a Ford dealer. My mother just had Ziebart treat her new Escape and they did do a nice job coating the underside of the vehicle which will help prevent corrosion. I am not an expert on rust inhibitors but it surely cant hurt if you are planning to drive it in the winter. Another thought is how long will you own the vehicle? Will you trade it in a few years from now before rust even starts to form. Some owners like myself would not want a Mustang that has been treated. Not everyone is like me though, as my car will never see snow.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I would venture a guess that the aftermarket rust proofing will void any chance of collecting on the factory rust warranty. Plus if you read the fine print on the rust proofing suppliers you will find that they will repair rust or refund the purchase price which ever is cheaper.

I would pass on having it done.

Dave

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
It's not 1975. Factory materials and techniques are very good. I would not sacrifice all that to get aftermarket gunk sprayed on.

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I wouldn't bother unless you deal with salt and plan on keeping the car a long time. Idk if they use salt or sand where you live. Salt is the devil.

Ford won't save you either,

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.
You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:

• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt <----------------------------------------!!!!
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches

When I was in school for auto tech, I would start to see rust start after 3-5 winters (years)...5-10 winters quite a bit of rust. 10+ rust damage (tons of fun removing bolts from those cars)
My brother's car at the time was 6 years old and I put it on the lift. Underneath was clean, he had his car treated. Keep in mind in Buffalo we use tons of salt and it eats cars alive.

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Doesn't the mustang have the 100k rust warranty? Anyway yea modern car metals are already resistant to rust. In fact I haven't see. Really any 04+ vehicles rust much.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Did you ever work on a vehicle that was rust proofed? If you did then you won't get it done. There's this stuff called Fluid Film. It's a rust inhibitor but it's thin like wd40. The guys on the ford truck forums love the stuff and say it works.

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
Did you ever work on a vehicle that was rust proofed? If you did then you won't get it done. There's this stuff called Fluid Film. It's a rust inhibitor but it's thin like wd40. The guys on the ford truck forums love the stuff and say it works.
My brother's was rust proofed by the dealer (Acura) but had no problems. However, I only did basic maintenance on it, never needed anything more. Stuff was tar like.

I got the fluid kind from Carwell on my car. Leaked all over for a week and kinda smelled burning off the exhaust but fine after that. Lots of ppl swear by it here.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
If you plan on keeping car for more than 7 years then rust proof away.. but if your like me..... I trade every 3 to 5 years ....then skip it and use the dough for something else

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I had Fluid Film applied to the under body of my 2015. Absolutely don't have a 'tar-like coating be applied. It is strictly for noise abatement. It also is prone to peel away from the OEM corrosion proofing and provides a space for salt to invade before the tarry layer falls off. I have had many vehicles 'fluid filmed' without rust appearing. The one truck I had the 'tar-film' applied rusted completely out just after the five year warranty. Even the frame rails became Swiss cheese. I live in Minnesota where they start putting on salt and sand as soon as frost begins to appear on roads. Don't forget that the most of the front of your new Mustang is aluminum and the rest is steel. Perfect combination for galvanic corrosion. I also live part time in Florida where ocean salt spray coats everything.
If you live in a desert climate...no need for any additional coatings.
Sponsored