Should I buy used Gibson Exhaust

Bear Ramsey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hey what's up guys. This is my first post. While at the gas station. I met a guy with mustang gt 2015-2017 and was about to trade his car in soon. He ask me did I want to buy his exhaust when he took it off to put back the stock exhaust. I told him to text my phone when he takes it off. He sends me this pic and another one. He gives me a price of 350. My question to yall is..... is this a good used price and what should I look out for when buying this. He also offered to install it on my car too for a extra 50 but I wasn't sure about that.
123_1.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bear Ramsey

Bear Ramsey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Here is one more pic if it makes any difference. I did hear it on his car and like the sound.
123_12.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you didn't ride in it, I would research how it is for drone.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am very happy with my Gibson exhaust. It does have some drone as the GregO said above. But, it's not too bad. And the exhaust note is "always on" meaning it's not as quiet as stock cruising like some of the other systems out there. You'll always be hearing it, which I like about it personally. At lower RPMs it has a muscle car tone. Higher RPMs it is pretty smooth with the right amount of rasp for my ear.

There are better systems out there but for the price IMO it's great. Some people can't deal with the drone and that's ok. For me, I am fine with it.

Sponsored

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
From what I have researched. The drone isnt really bad.

That's a YouTube video I found..
I have this exhaust and I can say there is noticeable drone when not under load. On the highway, it isn't bad at all. Keep in mind, my previous mustang was a 91 with Trick Flow heads, BBK long tubes, no cats, and Flowmasters.

I do love the sound of the exhaust and I get compliments on it almost daily.

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt, Ruby Red Metallic, Premium, PP, 401a
$400 Installed is a great price! It will sound way better then stock! Keep your old exhaust.... I would do that deal in a heart beat. :thumbsup:

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had Gibson exhaust and it sounds incredible and that price is great.

I ultimately had to get rid of it though because the drone is ridiculous at freeway speeds.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I had Gibson exhaust and it sounds incredible and that price is great.

I ultimately had to get rid of it though because the drone is ridiculous at freeway speeds.
It is if you're in 6th. This is what I do with my 3.15 auto:

4th gear, shift into 5th at 60mph. Stay in 5th unless I'm at 80+. And to be honest the way this engine doesn't make good power down low, it doesn't make sense to lug the engine. The 6R80 has basically two overdrive gears. So there's no reason to really even use 6th gear.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It is if you're in 6th. This is what I do with my 3.15 auto:

4th gear, shift into 5th at 60mph. Stay in 5th unless I'm at 80+. And to be honest the way this engine doesn't make good power down low, it doesn't make sense to lug the engine. The 6R80 has basically two overdrive gears. So there's no reason to really even use 6th gear.
My car makes too many road trips to cruise at 75 mph in 5th gear. My gas mileage would have been atrocious. A set of GT500 mufflers and an xpipe is where my car is at now and it is perfect.

Nothing against the Gibson exhaust and I would still have it on my car if it wasn't on the freeway so much.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My car makes too many road trips to cruise at 75 mph in 5th gear. My gas mileage would have been atrocious. A set of GT500 mufflers and an xpipe is where my car is at now and it is perfect.

Nothing against the Gibson exhaust and I would still have it on my car if it wasn't on the freeway so much.
My gas mileage is pretty good cruising in 5th. But I feel ya. Main reason I bought the Gibson was cost and it seemed better than the other similarly priced alternatives. I'm not disappointed, but yeah highway cruising isn't its strong suit. Sounds so good revving to 7000rpm.

If I could do it again I might have bought a Corsa or a Borla. Probably a Corsa Sport.

OP
OP
Bear Ramsey

Bear Ramsey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Worst case scenario I just figured if I didn't like it over time for the price I could just resell it. Just wondering if the price of 350 not bad.

OP
OP
Bear Ramsey

Bear Ramsey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I just look underneath my car and noticed it has a resonator delete pipe on it and everything is welded on. I'll just hold off on buying the Gibson cause I was thinking it would be a easy bolt on. It seems like some chopping would be Involved. I'm cool and will just hold off.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Drone was terrible on the freeway, I got two 16" dynomax race bullets installed to act like resonators, got rid of 99% of the drone, it's fine now with no issues. Sounds great.
Sponsored