Should I a. or b.

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I took my car to the dealer today to get the transmission fluid and filter changed and also a leak that just showed up recently. Long story short I need about $3000 dollars worth of transmission work, and I’m debating on what to do.
Should I
A. Go ahead and upgrade the torque converter and spend the money I have saved so far for a supercharger.
Or
B. Put the trans back to stock and continue saving for the supercharger.

my plans for the car are just like all my cars. Daily driver, occasional open track, and drag racing (including a lot of roll racing)
Sponsored

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Why $3,000 ? Is it a reseal? Mileage vs. Amount of time you put the car in race or high performance drag or track conditions?

If you're going to ultimately supercharge this thing there's obviously a number of additional variables and needs (potentially beefier axles, frame/diff lockouts, a tune and more).

Fixing transmission (and verifying this quote for whatever trans repairs are called for from at least two other reputable sources) precedes any other decisions you make. You should get to a "baseline" position first. If you're serious about other performance improvements you're going to spend a multiple of that $3,000 probably 4x because you need to have a reasonable set-up amply engineered for these applications.

If you're not prepared financially and to expend time to accomplish then get more estimates and just fix and drive. Resale is also an option and waiting for market opportunities to buy what you want in the months ahead....

FURTHERMORE...... You know after I wrote the above I scanned some of your threads..... you've got a history with this 2018 that tells me you've got all kinds of wear, tear, damage, prior performance related activities, tune, tires, all the race type drama many of us encounter. I'm more on the page that says consider fixing the leak and stop there. Consider selling it. Get something new. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Ok. I do run my car hard and have no plans on selling it. I know money is needed to play and I guess like some people on here we can only do one step at a time. I don’t have $20000 to drop on a car all at once. I had two quotes on this already, ford was the cheapest and I trust this dealers service department. This is the first real issue I have had with the car. I didn’t mean for you to do a background check on me😳. I have invested time and money and I don’t mind doing so. But again some people have to do one step at a time.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I took my car to the dealer today to get the transmission fluid and filter changed and also a leak that just showed up recently. Long story short I need about $3000 dollars worth of transmission work, and I’m debating on what to do.
Should I
A. Go ahead and upgrade the torque converter and spend the money I have saved so far for a supercharger.
Or
B. Put the trans back to stock and continue saving for the supercharger.

my plans for the car are just like all my cars. Daily driver, occasional open track, and drag racing (including a lot of roll racing)
I'm assuming you don't have an extended warranty? What's wrong with the transmission?