Sponsored

Short Video From MSR Houston

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
What a fun day one. Have a full second day tomorrow. Made major improvements today. Got my lap time down to 1:46.891. Man this car just pulls and pulls.

Have a lot more to improve on. Had a good oh shit moment today in a corner doing about 60. Just about spun the car as a result of driver error. Too hot into a corner and braking while turning don’t mix so well. Managed to save it but I was a millisecond away from jamming the brake pedal and giving up and praying for a soft exit but she came back around staying on the pavement. Pucker factor 9.5.

One unfortunate 911 ended up on top of the tire barricade after over cooking a corner. Fortunately no one injured. The car was just a bit damaged but not destroyed. Glad they were all ok.

My friend who also went had his wife shoot some video. I won't bore you with a lot but in this one you can hear my SC whine on the front stretch.

145CB055-914D-438C-89F6-54F56810DE3E.png

742248CD-4B3E-44DF-A03B-20B9FCBB80A4.jpeg
Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
What a fun day one. Have a full second day tomorrow. Made major improvements today. Got my lap time down to 1:46.891. Man this car just pulls and pulls.

Have a lot more to improve on. Had a good oh shit moment today in a corner doing about 60. Just about spun the car as a result of driver error. Too hot into a corner and braking while turning don’t mix so well. Managed to save it but I was a millisecond away from jamming the brake pedal and giving up and praying for a soft exit but she came back around staying on the pavement. Pucker factor 9.5.

One unfortunate 911 ended up on top of the tire barricade after over cooking a corner. Fortunately no one injured. The car was just a bit damaged but not destroyed. Glad they were all ok.

My friend who also went had his wife shoot some video. I won't bore you with a lot but in this one you can hear my SC whine on the front stretch.

145CB055-914D-438C-89F6-54F56810DE3E.png

742248CD-4B3E-44DF-A03B-20B9FCBB80A4.jpeg
That's a great time your first time at that track! You'll likely be even faster today.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Found the Porsche crash:

That sucks. Hope he/she is ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They were ok. No injuries. Car not so ok.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was very consistent today but a lot of traffic on the track today. Did not beat my time and only did 2 sessions and a check ride today. Not making excuses but my tires were pretty worn from yesterday and a track session from a few weeks ago but not a major drop off but the car did not feel as fast today as yesterday. So new tires are in order.
I did successfully complete my check ride so novice solo now.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Was very consistent today but a lot of traffic on the track today. Did not beat my time and only did 2 sessions and a check ride today. Not making excuses but my tires were pretty worn from yesterday and a track session from a few weeks ago but not a major drop off. So new tires are in order.
I did successfully complete my check ride so novice solo now.
I've found a passenger slows you about 2 seconds out there.

Any favorite sections of the track?

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've found a passenger slows you about 2 seconds out there.

Any favorite sections of the track?
Coming down the front stretch into the left hander then the right sweeper just after pit row entry. Hitting the apex out of the corner and getting on the gas and feeling the car push out to the outside and using that extra bit of track to scoot on down the track at WOT.
FYI if you go WOT too soon the car will try to come around but a quick twitch of the wheel stopped it. Lol. Pucker factor though.
What about you?

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Coming down the front stretch into the left hander then the right sweeper just after pit row entry. Hitting the apex out of the corner and getting on the gas and feeling the car push out to the outside and using that extra bit of track to scoot on down the track at WOT.
FYI if you go WOT too soon the car will try to come around but a quick twitch of the wheel stopped it. Lol. Pucker factor though.
What about you?
I had to think about it, but the "front stretch" (that's what I would have called it) is called pit straight then you sweep left into that loooong right turn called carousel and then that straight with the extra bit of track is called front straight. Yes!! I love that. It takes some time to build the courage, but you can carry 80 to 85mph through that first half of carousel then you slightly lift to slow to mid 70's which pulls you into the apex, then you start laying onto the throttle down the front stretch.

Speaking of too much throttle in carousel, I did the opposite once and lifted too fast because the guy in front of me started tracking out OFF track. I almost spun out, but caught it just enough to only get two wheels off at the inside of the turn.

My favorite section (right now) going ccw like you did is called "gut check". If you look at the track map you posted with your speeds, it's the section on track between "102.6mph" and "47.0mph". The apex at that kink to the right is scaring me right now. I'm usually hitting it around 105mph, but 115mph is possible, then you brake hard to make the double apex left turn called "sugar and spice" (the 47.0 mph section).

I'm about 3.5s away from my ultimate goal at MSRH. A big chunk of that is I'm lacking the courage to brake as late as I need and carry the speeds I need through the high speed turns. The remedy is getting so much seat time that those speeds get boring. :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to think about it, but the "front stretch" (that's what I would have called it) is called pit straight then you sweep left into that loooong right turn called carousel and then that straight with the extra bit of track is called front straight. Yes!! I love that. It takes some time to build the courage, but you can carry 80 to 85mph through that first half of carousel then you slightly lift to slow to mid 70's which pulls you into the apex, then you start laying onto the throttle down the front stretch.

Speaking of too much throttle in carousel, I did the opposite once and lifted too fast because the guy in front of me started tracking out OFF track. I almost spun out, but caught it just enough to only get two wheels off at the inside of the turn.

My favorite section (right now) going ccw like you did is called "gut check". If you look at the track map you posted with your speeds, it's the section on track between "102.6mph" and "47.0mph". The apex at that kink to the right is scaring me right now. I'm usually hitting it around 105mph, but 115mph is possible, then you brake hard to make the double apex left turn called "sugar and spice" (the 47.0 mph section).

I'm about 3.5s away from my ultimate goal at MSRH. A big chunk of that is I'm lacking the courage to brake as late as I need and carry the speeds I need through the high speed turns. The remedy is getting so much seat time that those speeds get boring. :D
I bet that was a pucker factor for you. I can see why it’s called gut check. I go WOT after the bump and the car settles. Then just before the the slight turn right I lift (102.6 area) then it gets bumpy. I just feather the gas until the left and try to brake late. I cannot imagine 115 or 105 through that section.
There was a professional racer out there today in a C8 with straight pipes. He was hauling ass and watching him through gut check was pretty impressive. I’ll attach a short video of him coming out of gut check. I think his name is Oaks. I’ll see if I can find him. He was passing everyone like they were standing still.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His name is Justin Oakes. He runs in TransAm in the SuperGT class.

Last edited:

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
His name is Justin Oakes. He runs in TransAm in the SuperGT class.

Damn I'd love to bum a ride with him. I think I met him when he first brought the car out there last year. I wasn't running, but my son was that day. I just walked up to him and complemented the car. The car was blacked out with some yellow stickers on the lower sides, non stock race seats and slicks?? Not sure if it that was him though.

Somewhat related:
I did an autocross today at gulf greyhound park, experimenting with some ideas at low speed with all the nannies off (indirectly trying to get faster at MSRH). There were two GT500s (one CFTP) in my class that absolutely tore it up. Cars as heavy as ours aren't supposed to be very good for autocross. Just amazing.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn I'd love to bum a ride with him. I think I met him when he first brought the car out there last year. I wasn't running, but my son was that day. I just walked up to him and complemented the car. The car was blacked out with some yellow stickers on the lower sides, non stock race seats and slicks?? Not sure if it that was him though.

Somewhat related:
I did an autocross today at gulf greyhound park, experimenting with some ideas at low speed with all the nannies off (indirectly trying to get faster at MSRH). There were two GT500s (one CFTP) in my class that absolutely tore it up. Cars as heavy as ours aren't supposed to be very good for autocross. Just amazing.
They are amazing cars. I’m sure it makes me much faster than I am but I guess not really. If I’m driving the car I’m that fast. Or slow however you want to look at it.
Sponsored