Shift points/Redline

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
I would love to know where peoples shift point/redline is set at. Ive got a 2020 A10 PP1 magnaride car and we don't have much tuning done to it other than flex tables, and bumped the shift a little and an X-pipe. My best pass is a 11.901 @116. it shifted right before the stripe and I think it lost a little due to that. I was playing around on a site called blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx and noticed if the car shifted at 7600 it wouldnt shift into 4th at 101 and sets rpm back to 6527 and then 5th until 118mph and may be the answer....

suggestions/discussions strictly related to this when it comes to drag racing, not normal driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I have mine set up to shift at 7600 on my 20 PP1 and it went 11.92 @ 118 like that.
Gained over 2.5 MPH from the tune/shift point changes.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What is your rear gear ratio and rear tire size? I can't help much on the shift points as I'm still on stock tune/shift points. Looking forward to a tune as shifting around 7200-7300 RPM in every gear until 6th which shifts into 7th at 6600 RPM has me finishing up the 1/4 mile in 7th on a 26" tall tire and 3.55 gear.

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
What is your rear gear ratio and rear tire size? I can't help much on the shift points as I'm still on stock tune/shift points. Looking forward to a tune as shifting around 7200-7300 RPM in every gear until 6th which shifts into 7th at 6600 RPM has me finishing up the 1/4 mile in 7th on a 26" tall tire and 3.55 gear.
so, its a pp1 car which means its automatically 3.55 gears. Its also on a 305/45r17 tire which is 28.1 inches tall.

I think we are going to try bumping the shift to 7600 see if it likes it in the 60ft and go from there. the a10 has such a tall first gear, and adding 3.55s to the mix doesnt help. ive been a 1.72 on completely stock suspension parts and radials on a marginally prepped track, and a 1.73 on michillens at a PYOP event with some stripper glitter (traction compound/prep)

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Had my 2018 pp1 vmp flex fuel tune set up on stock shift points.Goes through in 6 and half gear.The 7700 shift point they sent at first was to high and it ran slower.All stock but flex tune e85 11.70s,Stock mich tires 355 rear gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Had my 2018 pp1 vmp flex fuel tune set up on stock shift points.Goes through in 6 and half gear.The 7700 shift point they sent at first was to high and it ran slower.All stock but flex tune e85 11.70s,Stock mich tires 355 rear gear.
dang.. i wish i could go 70s. This thing aint been anywhere close to that. out of the box we struggled to get into the low 12s for some reason. i think its got .80s in it but a .70 would be stellar.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen others experience the same with higher shift points (7700+) slowing them down on tune only. When I get a tune, I am leaning towards having the shift points set at 7500. That should easily have me finishing the 1/4 in 6th. Not sure how much ET was impacted by it shifting to 7th at 6600 RPM but between going to 7th and the low shift point, it fell on it's face at the end before the traps. I probably could have cracked into the 11.40s...

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
I've seen others experience the same with higher shift points (7700+) slowing them down on tune only. When I get a tune, I am leaning towards having the shift points set at 7500. That should easily have me finishing the 1/4 in 6th. Not sure how much ET was impacted by it shifting to 7th at 6600 RPM but between going to 7th and the low shift point, it fell on it's face at the end before the traps. I probably could have cracked into the 11.40s...
I know with a 28in tall tire we are slowing it down a little.. I do believe also you can adjust shift points by gear, i think if thats the case we may leave the bottom end alone and just try to drag it out on the top end. As i said on my best pass i know it shifted just before the stripe. This upcoming season ( Im in Ohio) I am going to try and data log and record in car stuff a little more so ive got better data to go off of.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know with a 28in tall tire we are slowing it down a little.. I do believe also you can adjust shift points by gear, i think if thats the case we may leave the bottom end alone and just try to drag it out on the top end. As i said on my best pass i know it shifted just before the stripe. This upcoming season ( Im in Ohio) I am going to try and data log and record in car stuff a little more so ive got better data to go off of.
I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I used Torque Pro with the video plugin to overlay telemetry data on top of video with my phone in a windshield mount and it worked well. It uses a bluetooth OBDII adapter. The data isn't as precise to the millisecond as connecting a laptop directly to the OBDII port with an adapter to datalog but it's decent. There are data intervals tracked that are redundant where with my old car having it plugged in directly with an SCT device, the data points changed at every interval without data gaps or redundancies.
Sponsored