Sponsored

SEMA article about proposed EPA rules

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
At great risk of starting a political discussion, I'd be curious to know people's thoughts on this:

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

It seems to me like an area that the EPA needs to stay out of, but then, I'm pretty much a "defend out borders, but otherwise stay the eff out of my life" type of guy.

I know a lot of these are alarmist type articles, but I'm curious if I missed something here. Someone else posted on facebook that the actual legislation isn't what SEMA is making it out to be, but the counter to that is that it leaves the door open for the EPA to actually step in and regulate this industry which is so near and dear to many of us.
Sponsored

OP
OP

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what is defined as a "race car" ?
I would assume cars that are no longer street legal - stripped of emissions and safety equipment, etc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This could kill the performance aftermarket. It sounds like a way to block the sale of items that are not certified as meeting emissions standards. AFAIK, currently lots of people modify their cars in ways that make them not meet emissions any more. For instance, getting your car tuned, putting long tube headers on it, etc. Those parts are supposed to be off road use only, but people use them on the road anyway. It's hard to catch the people who are individually modifying their cars, so the EPA is trying to block the availability of the parts at the source.

I can see both sides of this. If we (the American public) really want emissions standards, then we should all be obeying the law and never modifying any vehicle in a way that causes it to stop meeting emissions requirements. On the other hand, I love high performance.

I think if we want to be able to continue modifying cars, we need to change the law to allow it. Right now, there are far too many people out there exploiting loopholes (basically they know they are breaking the law, but they also know they are not going to get caught). We need to find a way to convince more of the public to vote for freedom and stop making so many laws that restrict every facet of our lives.

OP
OP

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And some of the rules are just dumb. If you can meet the emissions requirements with a high-flow cat, you should be allowed to. Just do a sniffer test. If it passes, it passes, regardless of whether it's the OEM cat or not, CARB certified or not.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
EPA won't be happy until everyone is in a 185hp CUV, with a CVT transmission :faint:

probably a non-issue though, as trucks are exempt. If cars get squeezed, people will migrate over to trucks. VW diesel Beetles are a global menace whereas F350 diesels emit puffs of perfume :lol:
F350.jpg

Quesever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MX-5, 2016 BMW R1200R
Buy your tunes and off-road headers while you still can

The EPA is looking to “prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into race cars”

Meaning you would not be able to turn your Mustang into a track car legally with tunes and other emission avoidance devices, even if it's a competition only machine and not a daily driver. Not sure if this will become law of the land, but it would definitely put a damper on modding.

http://jalopnik.com/the-epas-crackdown-on-race-cars-explained-1758111546

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
I can see both sides of this. If we (the American public) really want emissions standards, then we should all be obeying the law and never modifying any vehicle in a way that causes it to stop meeting emissions requirements. On the other hand, I love high performance.

We need to find a way to convince more of the public to vote for freedom and stop making so many laws that restrict every facet of our lives.
I don't want the emissions standards. I don't want 54.5mpg CAFE standards. They didn't ask me.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
As long as we have jack asses in DC expect more of the same. They have been after our guns and ammo for years.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
EPA won't be happy until everyone is in a 185hp CUV, with a CVT transmission :faint:

probably a non-issue though, as trucks are exempt. If cars get squeezed, people will migrate over to trucks. VW diesel Beetles are a global menace whereas F350 diesels emit puffs of perfume :lol:
THIS.

[ame]

Sponsored

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as we keep allowing the government to get bigger like it has been the past 8 years then soon we will have no rights or freedoms anymore, and will be told what to do on a daily basis.