Sponsored

Second gear hiss on a Mach 1 with Tremec?

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
I am located in the US and have posted about this with my Tremec as well. It only does it in 2nd gear and only when on throttle. I have ~3k miles on mine now and it hasn't gotten any worse, but I also am not sure what it is. Thought about changing the fluid but still haven't yet wondering if something comes of it and there is a recall or something. Maybe it is fine, it goes into gear just fine and have 0 issues, just the mechanical hiss sound on throttle.
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Yes it's like this
I would say, it is something else than what I was talking about. The "hiss" I have is not that consistent, it kind of comes and goes, feels like something on top of the natural sound (while this sounds like an inherent part of the sound), and is predominant in the 2nd gear only.

Seg343

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm also having the same issue. I only notice it while I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. It grows noticeably louder the harder I get on the throttle. While in 2nd gear it can be kind of obnoxious. Sound comes from directly below the shift knob. It seems to go away once I push into 3rd.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I did some observations over the weekend. I get the "hiss" on the 2nd gear. It is clearly non consistent and separable sound from the other transmission sounds and is sensitive to the pushing of the stick - pushing to the left (port side) makes it worse, pushing to the right (starboard side) makes it disappear (almost).

After 3 hours of pretty intensive drive, I can get the similar effect on the first gear as well, albeit less pronounced and not as stable (it comes and goes). After the same drive I can also hear some parasitic sound on the 3rd gear, which is more subtle and not like the one in the 1st and 2nd gears. It is more like a whine on the video posted by @Galvez1978. The intensity of any and all of them is depending on the throttle.

On the other hand I can get very subtle and intermittent "hiss" on the 4th gear, when cruising on low RPM and very low engine pull.

Plus it happened to me twice today that I thought I was in the 1st gear and was about to start rolling, only to get the trans out of the gear and grinding.

It looks like few hours of drive can really flesh out these problems and make the overall performance degrade fast.

EDIT: Just to add I have 2000 km on the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 2022, Subaru Forester 2011
Is there anyway we can contact the factory or Ford on this issue? My dealer keeps saying it's 'normal', but come on.

Sponsored

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
It looks like few hours of drive can really flesh out these problems and make the overall performance degrade fast.

EDIT: Just to add I have 2000 km on the car.
I drove about 400km / 3h ride on Sunday, mainly highways, but also some slow, winding roads, and I already have more than 5000km on the clock. Bought the M1 in May, so I tend to drive it a lot. I don't find any such disturbing, hissing or grinding noises. It may be the build or batch...

@murick did you record by chance those sounds you experience?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
@murick did you record by chance those sounds you experience?
I guess this will be my next project. I already tried once only to find out that it was not easy to capture the sounds on the recording, so I will need to find some better equipment first.

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
I tried recording as well but the dashcam picked up 98% of the engine noise from the windshield where it's mounted. You can barely hear the hiss. I'll try to record it again once I get the car back.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have no idea what hissing noise you guys are looking for. The only noise I hear is from engine braking with the transmission which is almost like a light howl which I feel is perfectly normal. Maybe I can't hear it with the exhaust?

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
The only noise I hear is from engine braking with the transmission
Nope, what we're hearing is only present when accelerating. It seems not everyone has it.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I hear some of that sound but to me it sounds like a high performance beast sucking in air as rpm’s climb and doesn’t sound abnormal at all. I will say I feel for those who daily drive this car as it can noticeably supplement the income of oil producing countries.

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
I hear some of that sound but to me it sounds like a high performance beast sucking in air as rpm’s climb and doesn’t sound abnormal at all.
Yes, it does sound a bit like sucking air, but it's slightly mechanical, and it should be in all gears if it was sucking air, or at least in 1st and third as well.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it does sound a bit like sucking air, but it's slightly mechanical, and it should be in all gears if it was sucking air, or at least in 1st and third as well.
The air intake is driven by the mechanical process of the engine running (not meant to be a snarky answer just a fact). It’s no more weird sounding than any American manual muscle car I’ve ever driven and more civil than most, actually any I remember.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I hear some of that sound but to me it sounds like a high performance beast sucking in air as rpm’s climb and doesn’t sound abnormal at all.
Does it change when you push the stick to side? If not, it is a different sound.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All my American manual muscle cars made all sorts of sounds. That’s generally part of the rough around the edges experience of them. Lol, my mom used to swear my 1970 Olds 442 and my 78 cammed Z28 were falling apart.
Sponsored

Last edited: