Sponsored

Scratched rim pretty bad / Need Help!

Raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 GT performance package / premium package
I messed up my front wheel pretty bad the other day, pulling out of a bank ATM.

I've been searching for an OEM wheel to replace it, but I'm having some trouble.

My local dealership is telling me the price for a replacement wheel is $1100. I've talked to two parts reps there, and they keep giving me the same ridiculous figure....

I've searched online, but I'm having trouble finding the actual OEM style wheel....

Anybody know where I can get a original 15 GT Performance Pack wheel?
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Damn brotha.

Ok so check a few places.

1. Ebay
2. Craigslist
3. FB Mustang part pages
4. Check the members classified here as well.

Another option is to have that fixed locally to you, it can easily be done its a days worth of work.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
That looks bad but it's not insurmountable. I've fixed worse. If you can get the tire dismounted so you have access to the rim's perimeter and you're even marginally handy with tools you can fix it yourself.

It will take patience but it's not too difficult. You'll want to start by sanding down the high spots; for this I usually use a sanding drum on a Dremel head. Once those are knocked down you can start reshaping the damaged area. Use 220-grit sandpaper and sand down everything remotely close to the affected area. When you think it looks good, do at least two more complete passes.

When that's done, switch to 400 grit. Widen your passes a bit.

When that's done, switch to 800. Here's where I'll suggest that you start using water, too, after you've done several complete runs with dry 800.

Finally I would suggest switching to 1200 grit and completing the wet sanding until everything is smooth and level again. Now you can take some denatured alcohol and clean the entire area, mask off anything you don't want to paint (though go easy on your masking: You want to blend), and hit the area with a piano black wheel enamel. I'd use a few coats with ample dry time between each (follow the manufacturer's directions) and then hit the entire wheel with a coat or two of clear to even out the shine.

The last time I fixed damaged wheels it took a total of probably 6 hours to fix two of them (more broadly damaged than this) and about $30 or $40 on materials, including sandpaper and paint.