Sponsored

Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Locked due to politics and insulting behavior coming up. Thanks for stirring the conspiracy and misinformation pot newbie.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
'They' - who are 'they'. If I am one of them I have been pleading for you to provide data and evidence for your ramblings. I don't want an echo chamber I want a discussion and to be challenged by ideas and evidence.

There is no bias other than in your head. Probably best if you can't come up with anything constructive that you do as you suggest and stop posting
If you simply "report" them, they will "go away". The person you are commenting has provided zero interest in having a discussion. Only insulting others and baiting forum members.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Time for the thread to get back on track with this interesting report:

Conspiratorial thinking as a precursor to opposition to COVID-19 (published 3 Nov 2022)

Abstract
Despite widespread availability of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines in the US, only about 66% of the eligible US population had taken the recommended initial doses of the COVID-19 vaccines as of April 2022. Explanations for this hesitancy have focused on misinformation about the vaccines, lack of trust in health authorities, and acceptance of conspiracy theories about the pandemic. Here we test whether those with a conspiratorial mindset, which distrusts a wide range of institutions, were poised to reject COVID vaccines before the pandemic even began. To answer that question, we reinterviewed members of a national US panel that we had previously surveyed beginning in 2018. As hypothesized, having a conspiratorial mindset in 2019 predicted COVID-vaccination hesitancy in 2021 better than prior trust in health authorities or acceptance of vaccine misinformation. Those with the mindset were also more likely to consume media that bolstered belief in pandemic conspiracies. Research is needed on the determinants of conspiratorial mindset and ways to minimize the likelihood that consequential health decisions will be influenced by it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-22014-5

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

Conspiratorial thinking as a precursor to opposition to COVID-19 (published 3 Nov 2022)

Abstract
Despite widespread availability of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines in the US, only about 66% of the eligible US population had taken the recommended initial doses of the COVID-19 vaccines as of April 2022. Explanations for this hesitancy have focused on misinformation about the vaccines, lack of trust in health authorities, and acceptance of conspiracy theories about the pandemic. Here we test whether those with a conspiratorial mindset, which distrusts a wide range of institutions, were poised to reject COVID vaccines before the pandemic even began. To answer that question, we reinterviewed members of a national US panel that we had previously surveyed beginning in 2018. As hypothesized, having a conspiratorial mindset in 2019 predicted COVID-vaccination hesitancy in 2021 better than prior trust in health authorities or acceptance of vaccine misinformation. Those with the mindset were also more likely to consume media that bolstered belief in pandemic conspiracies. Research is needed on the determinants of conspiratorial mindset and ways to minimize the likelihood that consequential health decisions will be influenced by it.

Tragic really. The irony is those very same people who claim that the rest of us are being controlled and deceived are them very selves being controlled and deceived by the prime conspiracy theorists who make a fortune out of them. If they could see beyond the end of their noses they would realise how stupid they really are.

It is very odd that people are prepared to trust some social network cowboy rather than trusting somebody who has the knowledge, qualifications and data to back up what they say.

It says something about education

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Abstract

Out of curiosity, I looked at the data. Haven't bothered for almost a year now. But right now, 80% of the US is either fully or partially vaccinated (69% fully, 12% partially). Compared to other western countries, that is close to the top. The EU is worse (75%), Israel and Switzerland are much worse (71 and 70%). Only a few are much better - Canada (89%), S. Korea (87%), Italy (86%) and Japan (84%).

That tells me there are alot of conspiracy kooks around the world. Or, there is more to vaccine hesitancy than "conspiracy mindset".

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Our World in Data

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ted-people-now-make-up-majority-covid-deaths/

Just a simple article for those that love the facts and nothing but the facts. Seems like being vax'd is like being drunk... doesn't last that long. But wait there's another vax around the corner... maybe this time they'll get it right. No wait it's a yearly thing... sounds fucking useless.
If you want facts and nothing but facts then read it a bit more closely and understand what is being said.

Think - if 100% of the population is vaccinated then 100% of the people who die from COVID will be vaccinated. The higher the vaccine penetration the more people that die will have been vaccinated. IMPORTANTLY there will be less of them than in an unvaccinated population.

The vaccine has been proven to massively reduce the chance of death or serious disease - fact

Deaths more than 80% lower in communities with high vaccination coverage

New study shows fewer people die from covid-19 in better vaccinated communities | BMJ

The vaccine doesn't prevent you catching COVID, doesn't prevent minor or asymptomatic disease (although it does make mild cases more likely than severe cases) - fact

The vaccine provides short (ish) lived antibodies and longer lived cell based immunity to the spike protein - fact

People at risk of serious disease (old, those with intercurrent conditions) should get a booster (as you would with flu vaccination - fact

'They' didn't 'get it wrong', 'They' saved millions of lives.

Flu vaccine needs to be repeated regularly - are you saying that is useless as well, even though that saves thousands of lives every year ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, I looked at the data. Haven't bothered for almost a year now. But right now, 80% of the US is either fully or partially vaccinated (69% fully, 12% partially). Compared to other western countries, that is close to the top. The EU is worse (75%), Israel and Switzerland are much worse (71 and 70%). Only a few are much better - Canada (89%), S. Korea (87%), Italy (86%) and Japan (84%).

That tells me there are alot of conspiracy kooks around the world. Or, there is more to vaccine hesitancy than "conspiracy mindset".

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Our World in Data
There are many reasons other than being a conspiracy theorist, although it shouldn't be underestimated just how damaging some of those nutters are promulgating their fake news on social media. UK data in the link below shows a mixture of active and passive reasons. It doesn't mean they are valid, just that is what people were thinking at the time. Clearly some of the fear campaigns spread beyond the people who believe the conspiracies to those that are vulnerable to influencers - some of which will have died as a result of it.

COVID-19 vaccine refusal, UK - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
If you want facts and nothing but facts then read it a bit more closely and understand what is being said.

Think - if 100% of the population is vaccinated then 100% of the people who die from COVID will be vaccinated. The higher the vaccine penetration the more people that die will have been vaccinated. IMPORTANTLY there will be less of them than in an unvaccinated population.

The vaccine has been proven to massively reduce the chance of death or serious disease - fact

Deaths more than 80% lower in communities with high vaccination coverage

New study shows fewer people die from covid-19 in better vaccinated communities | BMJ

The vaccine doesn't prevent you catching COVID, doesn't prevent minor or asymptomatic disease (although it does make mild cases more likely than severe cases) - fact

The vaccine provides short (ish) lived antibodies and longer lived cell based immunity to the spike protein - fact

People at risk of serious disease (old, those with intercurrent conditions) should get a booster (as you would with flu vaccination - fact

'They' didn't 'get it wrong', 'They' saved millions of lives.

Flu vaccine needs to be repeated regularly - are you saying that is useless as well, even though that saves thousands of lives every year ?
You really are a dope, "they got it right" ha wtf are you talking about. This was rushed and sloppy. The flu shoot every year is a guess at best, people still get sick... well not since COVID and everything is now "COVID"... The survival rates of COVID never warranted a mass reaction and vaccination. You seem to love quoting the internet... go look it up... starting at the CDC. I am not arguing with an infant.

And for the record, I am not arguing the efficacy of vaccines, just this one!!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
You really are a dope, "they got it right" ha wtf are you talking about. This was rushed and sloppy. The flu shoot every year is a guess at best, people still get sick... well not since COVID and everything is now "COVID"... The survival rates of COVID never warranted a mass reaction and vaccination. You seem to love quoting the internet... go look it up... starting at the CDC. I am not arguing with an infant.

And for the record, I am not arguing the efficacy of vaccines, just this one!!
Indeed you are not arguing with an infant, I am a medical professional and I beg to differ with your childish response. I have already responded a few pages about flu cases v COVID cases and that flu has not 'gone' at all. I even posted a few pages back about a new patient side test to distinguish COVID from Flu more easily - how does that fit with your statement?

I gave you data from reputable sources and you choose to ignore it. Vaccination has been proven to work. Perhaps you could provide some data to prove it doesn't, if you are so certain of yourself?

'Quoting the internet' - NO, quoting reputable sources that are on the internet - VERY big difference. I 'looked up' and quoted the BMJ, you just gave an unqualified opinion.

There is such a pattern here. Anti establishment rants, nothing to back it up, it gets challenged with real data then the poster resorts to insults and then eventually gets banned....... I wonder why?

Last edited: