Sponsored

Saved A Dinosaur (and it’s a GM)

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, I bought another vehicle a few months ago. Need something that is going to serve as a family vehicle, and unfortunately my GT won’t cut that role. Can’t fit a car seat and a wife

So, amidst all of the terrible markups and outrageous interest rates, I decided getting into a newer vehicle and payment isn’t smart. My GT is just about paid off and I do not want to start that cycle again.

I wanted a truck or full-sized SUV. I was really stuck on the Lexus GX470, or a V8 4Runner, or Sequoia. All of which came with the Toyota tax, so finding one that wasn’t >$10k or rusted was tough.

I started to consider the Tahoe/Yukon/Burban or Expedition (pre-03). I found this Escalade pretty early in my search. I went and looked at it, but shrugged it off. After looking at a 2012 F150 (which, was $19k - couldn’t stomach that for a truck with 100k) and exhausting my Lexus/Toyota search, I reached back out to the guy selling the Escalade and he still had it.

It’s an 02, and had just under 200k on the dash. However, it’s a two owner truck. Owner 1 - corporate car. Owner two, had it for the past 18 years or so and lived in a wealthy area. This thing still looks new, the interior is near flawless and it runs great. So, I took a chance on it being higher mile.

I love this thing. 6.0, AWD, 3:73’s, tow package, stupid comfortable. Everything works except the power sunroof, but it is dry as a bone so that’s a fair trade. Engine feels nice and tight and so far there’s no real fluid use to speak of which is great. I’ve put a few thousand miles on it and I start to appreciate it more and more as I drive it. I didn’t realize how big the following is for these GMT800 trucks.

1701142444110.jpeg

1701142698209.jpeg

1701142827158.jpeg
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My brother had the GMC version. Damn, it's big! But, very comfortable and easy to ride in. Very tight for 140k miles.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My brother had the GMC version. Damn, it's big! But, very comfortable and easy to ride in. Very tight for 140k miles.
Nice! They are pretty big, but they don’t drive like a big truck somehow. This thing is actually really easy to park for the size. If you take out the 3rd row there’s great space with the middle row up, and folding the middle row down gives a ton of usable cargo space.

I had a Grand Cherokee of the same era before this and the size difference is crazy.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had to sell the Mustang due to arthritis in my back; I need better seats. I knew BMW had seats that work for me, from past experience. I hope it lets me drive a few more years.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GMT400/800 are awesome. Reliable, easy to live with, and extremely practical.
Agreed. When I was younger, my friend’s dad had a trimmed out Yukon (around the same model year) and I remember being impressed with how nice it was and how smooth it drove.
Sponsored