Sponsored

Sanitizing wipes compatible with interior surfaces?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I usually just wipe down the interior with the damp microfiber that I used to dry the car...

Anybody have an idea about sanitizing wipes capable of killing viruses without damaging or staining the materials of our interior (leather, vinyl, touchscreen, etc.)
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get 90% isopropyl alcohol from your local CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens or Walmart.

Spray the microfiber with some water to dampen it - don’t want it saturated, just damp. Spray the 90% iso onto the same microfiber, rub the microfiber together then go wipe down your interior.

The 90% will disinfect and it will not harm surfaces.

I’ve been doing it since March in both of our vehicles on all touch points, surfaces, door panels, door pulls, dash sections, seat belt buckles as well as seat belts - no issues at all.

Throw microfiber in wash and dry without any dryer sheets - repeat above as many times as needed.

Be careful with some of the packaged wipes - they contain bleaches or harsher chemicals and these can stain or ruin soft surfaces - can even remove or bleach out dyes from surfaces.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I agree with the alcohol damaging the plastics. Will pull the oils out of the plastics. Doubt it would be any good for window tint also. If you are that worried about germs why not wear latex gloves while you are out of the car and take them off before you get in the car? All seems like overkill to me, but to each his own.

Iconicgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
It’s a good question that’s crossed my mind. I typically have been using hand sanitizer when I get back in my vehicle and was kind of worried what it might do to leather on steering wheel.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just took a little sanitizing and disinfecting course at work yesterday. The product should state what the wet time is for disinfecting or sanitizing which are not the same. It can range from 30s-10 minutes for disinfecting The active ingredients can vary. The product we use has 0.5% hydrogen peroxide. Its probably not good to leave on upholstery.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Haven’t had any issues of plastics drying out or surface changes, discolorations or damages... and that is on soft surfaces as the dash, door panels, seat belts, etc. Also the same with wiping down the knobs or buttons with print or colors, etc. As stated above, if dampening the microfiber 1st, then adding 90% iso, it’s not going to damage anything....

I’ve got 9 mos now of wiping things down in our Mazda CX-5 as well as my S550 as stated, resulting in no such issues and I wouldn’t post unsubstantiated BS.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I am a bit of a germaphobe so I have always carried around hand sanitizer with me. When ever some else has driven the car I have always just used sanitizer on all the touch points and I have never had any issue. I of course also use it after touching anything in public before getting in the car.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
It’s a good question that’s crossed my mind. I typically have been using hand sanitizer when I get back in my vehicle and was kind of worried what it might do to leather on steering wheel.
Yep been thinking about this myself lately. Been kind of paranoid that the steering wheel was feeling a bit “dry” even though my car is not even 6 months old

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Is this all for Covid prevention? If so, not really necessary. Also, as was mentioned, most disinfecting isn't done correctly in that the disinfectant isn't left on long enough. A quick wipe down can actually make things worse by spreading things around to more areas.

Just clean your cars when they get dirty, use hand sanitizer, and don't root around in your nose with dirty fingers.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I recently purchased a interior detailer, a sanitizing quick detailer, which is safe for all surfaces, including leather. The product is used for light grime and dirt, smudges, etc. Blemishes water sometimes doesn't lift or remove well. It has a 60% alcohol content.

As others have advised, always read the label. And while it might be OK for multiple surfaces, odds are it does weaken, possibly removes whatever surface protection was previously applied.

I'll be using the product as I need it. Otherwise, I simply use a microfiber towel, dampened with water to remove any tells someone was just in the car.

Pro Tip: sanitizing wipes for the win when traveling, especially if renting a car. Car companies might pull the dead bodies and remove vomit from the interior, but they do little else. It often takes using multiple wipes across key surfaces before the wipes show clean.

Note: Transplant recipients and those receiving cancer treatment often have little to no immunity; their immune systems are intentionally supressed by the drugs in use. While they don't necessarily have to walk around in a bubble, keeping things clean and making certain lifestyle adjustments is often necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited: