San Diego road racing advice

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
I have done drag racing in other cars but casually and always used street tires. After I finally get this stang in decent shape I want to try out road racing. I keep reading about hpde.

I started researching and im pretty confused. I want to do less then beginner racing if I can lol. I cant figure out what events are good for me. Is NASA events the hpde beginner events?

I think most race tracks are north of me and I would be driving not trailoring. To be honest I cant even figure out the sites and pricing hahhah. Too many events and options to choose from.
Sponsored

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I was in the same boat, try and find local groups on IG that host track events, there is a lot. As for being a beginner, almost all track days have a beginner group. You can check out Speed Ventures, Turn8track days, and trackstangs on ig, being in SD you are probably closer to more track down here in socal.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm actually attending a track day on July 10th at Willow Springs (Big willow) there is a beginner class and maximum 50 cars. Send me a PM I can get you a spot

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I'm actually attending a track day on July 10th at Willow Springs (Big willow) there is a beginner class and maximum 50 cars. Send me a PM I can get you a spot
I found an autocross event through San Diego car club for parking lot under 60mph course. Another one for chuck Wallace race way in June and july.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
The best place to start imo is thru outfuts like Speed Ventures. Start there and as you get faster and more consistent you will find your place

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings fellow San Diegan!

If you've never done any racing, NASA has a pretty good system, where you start with HPDE1 (High Perf Driver Edu) which is in-car instruction in your car. Somewhat Covid-limited depending on the track, county, etc, but nice having somebody yell at you, point you to the lines, etc. HPDE2 is lead/follow, where your instructor gives you a line to follow, and then switch, and they check your line. HPDE3 is all by yourself, with point-by-passing, and HPDE4 is open passing. From there, next on the ladder is Time Trials, where you can race prepped cars, or the same one, and in power/weight classes compete for prizes. If you so choose, the only place next on the chart is wheel-to-wheel racing in something like Super Touring, American Iron, etc. Highly recommended you take a look into that, especially with the NASA Passport, each step and promotion up gets you things like Toyo bucks, free cash for tires.

SCCA isn't very big out this way, I think they only do AutoX, which is cool, just not my personal preference. If you're looking to eventually race, I'd say NASA is the way to go.

Another good group is Speed Ventures, which is like many other HPDE organizations, where they just rent out the track, do a little bit of policing, but all of the driver development is almost entirely up to you. They will have instruction (yo!) where covid-dependent, we will do a lead/follow session at a half speed pace, and/or in-car instruction for a few sessions to show you the line, brake/shift points, etc, in hopes that we can get you safe and comfortable enough to run all by yourself by the end of the day. Whenever I'm not racing and need some track time, you'll likely catch me there.

Pricewise, expect to pay ~$250/day depending on the track/location for 4 20 minute sessions, and they run 4-6 groups (minimum : low/pointby, hi/pointby, low/open, hi/open) sometimes if it's undersold, they'll have a bonus group for open passing or point by passing at the end of the day.

Speed District is another good one, slightly different format where it's 30 minute sessions, and 2 groups, all open passing. They recently changed their model which requires a yearly membership, but you can do one event I believe a calendar year without joining.

OnGrid is also fun, but depending on where you live, they are more NorCal tracks than Southern. I run in their Super GT Cup which is in its inaugural season as a real nice Time Trial/Attack setup.

There are others like Extreme Speed, but I just haven't run with them, so I can't comment. Rumors are just that, so meh.

As our tracks are mostly in the deserts, we're just about coming up on our summer break, and start serious tracking to pick things up around August/September again. I've only tracked once at 115f, and it was downright brutal, 5-6 cars blew their motors, and everybody else could only do a handful of laps before the cars started overheating, track started greasing up.

Our big 4 -
Auto Club Speedway - Fontana (last year, might be worth just one trip)
Buttonwillow - Buttonwillow (West of Bakersfield)
Chuckwalla - Desert Center (east of Palm Springs)
Willow Springs - Rosamond (North of Lancaster/Palmdale) (two courses, "Big" and "Streets")

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Greetings fellow San Diegan!

If you've never done any racing, NASA has a pretty good system, where you start with HPDE1 (High Perf Driver Edu) which is in-car instruction in your car. Somewhat Covid-limited depending on the track, county, etc, but nice having somebody yell at you, point you to the lines, etc. HPDE2 is lead/follow, where your instructor gives you a line to follow, and then switch, and they check your line. HPDE3 is all by yourself, with point-by-passing, and HPDE4 is open passing. From there, next on the ladder is Time Trials, where you can race prepped cars, or the same one, and in power/weight classes compete for prizes. If you so choose, the only place next on the chart is wheel-to-wheel racing in something like Super Touring, American Iron, etc. Highly recommended you take a look into that, especially with the NASA Passport, each step and promotion up gets you things like Toyo bucks, free cash for tires.

SCCA isn't very big out this way, I think they only do AutoX, which is cool, just not my personal preference. If you're looking to eventually race, I'd say NASA is the way to go.

Another good group is Speed Ventures, which is like many other HPDE organizations, where they just rent out the track, do a little bit of policing, but all of the driver development is almost entirely up to you. They will have instruction (yo!) where covid-dependent, we will do a lead/follow session at a half speed pace, and/or in-car instruction for a few sessions to show you the line, brake/shift points, etc, in hopes that we can get you safe and comfortable enough to run all by yourself by the end of the day. Whenever I'm not racing and need some track time, you'll likely catch me there.

Pricewise, expect to pay ~$250/day depending on the track/location for 4 20 minute sessions, and they run 4-6 groups (minimum : low/pointby, hi/pointby, low/open, hi/open) sometimes if it's undersold, they'll have a bonus group for open passing or point by passing at the end of the day.

Speed District is another good one, slightly different format where it's 30 minute sessions, and 2 groups, all open passing. They recently changed their model which requires a yearly membership, but you can do one event I believe a calendar year without joining.

OnGrid is also fun, but depending on where you live, they are more NorCal tracks than Southern. I run in their Super GT Cup which is in its inaugural season as a real nice Time Trial/Attack setup.

There are others like Extreme Speed, but I just haven't run with them, so I can't comment. Rumors are just that, so meh.

As our tracks are mostly in the deserts, we're just about coming up on our summer break, and start serious tracking to pick things up around August/September again. I've only tracked once at 115f, and it was downright brutal, 5-6 cars blew their motors, and everybody else could only do a handful of laps before the cars started overheating, track started greasing up.

Hope this helps.
Never thought about the heat. Good to know thank you!

I'm currently fixing my front suspension and alignment before seriously thinking if signing up. I was hoping to do autocross first and then move up to hpde

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Never thought about the heat. Good to know thank you!

I'm currently fixing my front suspension and alignment before seriously thinking if signing up. I was hoping to do autocross first and then move up to hpde
Good call on the alignment, safety first, don't kill a car or set of tires on something easily avoidable. As for AutoX vs tracking, from a value perspective, you'll maybe get 5-7 runs which last maybe a minute, compared to 4 20 minute sessions, or 10x the seat time for 50% more cost. The 20m will be over before you know it, but you'll really AutoX speeds generally don't exceed 2nd gear, where depending on the course, you'll do 120+, heck Auto Club you might touch 150. Both will make you a better driver though, that's for sure.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Good call on the alignment, safety first, don't kill a car or set of tires on something easily avoidable. As for AutoX vs tracking, from a value perspective, you'll maybe get 5-7 runs which last maybe a minute, compared to 4 20 minute sessions, or 10x the seat time for 50% more cost. The 20m will be over before you know it, but you'll really AutoX speeds generally don't exceed 2nd gear, where depending on the course, you'll do 120+, heck Auto Club you might touch 150. Both will make you a better driver though, that's for sure.
Man good stuff! I'm trying to tall some friends into joining me. They are scared because they have slow cars but it doesn't matter.
Sponsored