Salesman made me cringe hard!

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
EDIT: I do not feel the salesguy had any ill intentions. He seemed somewhat lost about the car or what even the longtube headers on it meant. I believe he just thought it was the "cool" thing to do was rev it immediately on startup. EDIT

Took my car in for the oil change and they had a pro charged 350 sitting on the lot. Sales guy asked if I wanted to take a look at it and grabbed the keys.

he turns it on and immediately begins to rev the piss out of it. I could hear the engine crying that it didn’t want to and to let it wake up.

Absolutely gorgeous car p1 pro charger full exhaust methanol injection. Whoever gets that is going to have a hell of a ride as long as that sales guy doesn’t continue doing that on every cold start!

said the owner bought a silver gt500 cftp... if your on here I’m sorry but your baby isn’t being treated well lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Makes you wonder what else he's done when no one's around - tech's are horrible at this too when they take the car out for a "diagnosis" or "make sure everything's ok" drive.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Makes you wonder what else he's done when no one's around - tech's are horrible at this too when they take the car out for a "diagnosis" or "make sure everything's ok" drive.
Well, first of all, I've known (know) a few good salesmen, real car guys, etc. But most of them are dicks.

Second, when I took my Porsche Boxster in for a drivability issue, I went for a ride with the service advisor, who used to be one of the lead techs, so he knew his stuff. He then redlines the car in each gear, saying (not untruthfully) that owners don't do this enough, and that they (the techs) do it on every test drive. Italian tune-up, I believe it's called. Or in my day, blowing out the carbon.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with it as long as the car is warmed up. But yeah, those tools that take a cold car off the lot and drive the snot out of it really annoy me.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Just shows how much us car people worry about things that don’t matter.

Imagine how rental cars are treated. Cranked up and redlined. If it mattered Ford would put some code in the software to stop it.
Judging by the way the car was coughing and refusing to rev/bogging I would say it wasn’t the best thing in the world for it.
can you rev a car to redline, sure can. Should you keep it there all day. Nope lol but Ford let’s you
I would go on a limb in saying things like that could cause premature and or unnecessary wear.

Last edited:

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Not sure if any of you saw the GEn1 3.5 ecoboost torture test by Ford, impressive stuff, beat the crap out of the engine, cold starts to redline from -40, iced water run through a red hot engine et c etc then put it in an F150 and beat the crap out of it some more.

Engine behaved perfectly.

Put them out on the street and lo and behold major engine issues, coking the valves etc. Major issue was people not driving the engine hard enough. The fleet trucks driven hard survived, the boulevard queens ran into issues. :)

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Coming from the Ecoboost platform, if you have a Cobb Accessport, which is a handheld programmer that you use to load new maps to the ECU. With the tuning, you can load multiple maps into the ECU and change maps while driving, by using the cruise control up and down buttons.

Anyhow, you can get what is referred to as a "valet" map from Cobb. It limits the rpms to 3,000 and speed to 35 mph. I'd imagine if you got a custom tune, the tuner could raise the rpm and speed limits, so that a test drive after a service will allow the tech to go on the freeway if he or she had to. I wish the 5.0 had the same thing. I don't know if how the ECUs work prevents that type of mapping or not. If it can be done, maybe one day they will.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
cold oil doesn’t flow as well. All engine tolerances are at operating temp. Just doesn’t feel right to make a engine go to its limit without being at operating temp.
To each there own and we can do what we want with our own cars.

But watching that was like watching someone borrow a car and beat on it. Just not a good look.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Just to be clear I am not recommending that people treat their engines like that, but it does show that the engines can tolerate a lot of abuse and once warmed up, particularly with an auto, there is not much you can do to the engine that will damage it.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
Not going to reveal my sources, however depending on the type of repair required, techs do or can take the car they've repaired out for a hard drive. I'm told that this is to make sure there's nothing else wrong with the car before giving it back to the customer. Better to have an issue show up on the test run than have the customer crying that their car wasn't repaired.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Just shows how much us car people worry about things that don’t matter.

Imagine how rental cars are treated. Cranked up and redlined. If it mattered Ford would put some code in the software to stop it.
I'm sorry but this just a stupid statement. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda Civic or a Ferrari, revving the piss out of any car immediately after a cold start will drastically accelerate wear and tear on the engine and eventually lead to failure.

EDIT: many companies have soft rev limiters in Park or Neutral to prevent this (and save gas). Ford should absolutely have it in the Mustang, at least while the engine is still cold.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
The those neutral and park limiters are to protect the engine against going to redline with no load which is absolutely not good for an engine.
So just to be clear do you feel it’s bad for the engine to rev freely or not? Because your first post made it seem like free revving it did zero damage. ?????

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I'm sorry but this just a stupid statement. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda Civic or a Ferrari, revving the piss out of any car immediately after a cold start will drastically accelerate wear and tear on the engine and eventually lead to failure.

EDIT: many companies have soft rev limiters in Park or Neutral to prevent this (and save gas). Ford should absolutely have it in the Mustang, at least while the engine is still cold.
I’ve driven a handful of cars that when cold, the redline is much lower than normal. As the engine warms, you can watch the tachometer move the redline up appropriately.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I wouldn't say drastically, it's definitely going to cause cumulative wear but how much is hard to quantify. And the automatics do have a rev limit in park, it's just the manual cars that let you go hog wild for some reason.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Coming from the Ecoboost platform, if you have a Cobb Accessport, which is a handheld programmer that you use to load new maps to the ECU. With the tuning, you can load multiple maps into the ECU and change maps while driving, by using the cruise control up and down buttons.

Anyhow, you can get what is referred to as a "valet" map from Cobb. It limits the rpms to 3,000 and speed to 35 mph. I'd imagine if you got a custom tune, the tuner could raise the rpm and speed limits, so that a test drive after a service will allow the tech to go on the freeway if he or she had to. I wish the 5.0 had the same thing. I don't know if how the ECUs work prevents that type of mapping or not. If it can be done, maybe one day they will.
Your Whipple Tomahawk, assuming you’re still on the Whipple tune, has “valet mode”. Never got a great explanation of what that does.

One centrifugal supercharger guy said he takes his impeller belt off when bringing the car in. Calls it “no boost for you” mode. But even with that I wouldn’t trust dealer techs.

On an unmodified Coyote I doubt they could hurt the engine unless that was their goal....

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The Sprintbooster v3 I have actually has a valet mode with a PIN that limits throttle %. If the service being done has nothing to do with the engine requiring full throttle, I'd use it.
Sponsored