Sponsored

Sales bollocks

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Picked up my Need for Green on Monday, I was worried there wouldn't be enough difference between the MY17 and MY19 to excite me, but shouldn't have worried - loving the rev matching (it'll be interesting coming up behind a horse), active exhaust and digital dash. Feels great out of the box with the Michelins, even better than when I put them on mine previously, I'll have 8 MPS4S in the garage once my winters go on.

I don't like the fact that they've swapped the audio controls to the left, as I keep hitting the voice control button when I want to skip tracks. It may just be me, but have they made the indicator sound like a galloping horse?? I'm not keen on the all the 'safety' things they've added but suppose it's to get the NCAP rating up and I need to have a good look to see if I can turn them off. Can people really not turn their high beam on and off by themselves?

I'm still running it in, but there's a noticeable difference in torque in 4th - I used to hit the rev limiter too often when overtaking in 3rd, so tended to use 4th more often, but I've noticed that it's not quite got the same oomph - maybe I'll have to use Sport mode instead of normal.

Unfortunately there's a defect in the paint on the passenger door, so it's got to go into the body shop, and I hadn't seen the colour in the flesh before, but it's so bright and with the wing on the back I'm really happy with it.
Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Loving mine but the paint work is hilariously terrible after close inspection under the spot lights - granted I knew that going in after doing a lot of reading on here. Some of the sheet metal seam joins are very suspect (i.e. visible and not a lot of paint on these edge areas compared to the main parts of the panels) so no doubt keeping a lot of wax on the drain runoff areas, bottom and inside the doors, the door hinges, bootlid, top of the windscreen join area, roof joining areas, etc. is going to be very important as there is so little paint on the edges on my car, and the other 3 I looked at on the dealer lot had the same issues in the same exact places. They are all terribly painted and clearcoated. Fortunately, there is a 12 year corrosion warranty on this car and I'm sure it will need it after about year 3 or 4, haha.

Other than that, loving the rest of the car so far minus the intergalactic gearing. It's a damn shame we get stuck with the 3.55 trac-lock LSD as it's a real POS compared to a real torsen.

upload_2019-7-4_10-15-56-png-png.png

Going around a corner the rear feels twitchy as no doubt the clutches are trying to judge how much slip is needed, and also the rear end is like dough with all of the rubber in the IRS and rear suspension - you feel so much less compared to my Mazda RX-7 which has 6 spherical bearings in the rear suspension (equivalent to the spherical lower control arm bearings that are a suggested mod on this car). Fortunately, there are solutions to these issues, i.e. install a Torsen T2R that comes standard on the GT Performance Pack in the States, install higher gearing like 4.09s, install rear lower control arm bearings and Ford Racing Toe Knuckle bearings.

Having said that, the rest of the car is a joy to drive when it is considered a GT car rather than a pure sports car. I love the Recaro seats to death already, the noise is epic, the low down torque is a world better than my RX-7, enjoy my first ever heated steering wheel, the digital gauge cluster is perfect (just enough options to keep you entertained without too much going on), and the infotainment is dead easy to use even if the graphics aren't the prettiest thing in the world. The car also rides really well in normal with the Magneride suspension, and the difference in sport and track mode is startling (really cool). No creaks or rattles yet although I'm sure they will show up in time and I wonder how long the door windows will stay taught and stiff given every time you open the door it seems like the window hasn't dropped quick enough before you swing it open and thus it catches on the weatherstripping ever so slightly. The only other complaint is the audio system as it's so bassy, but not in a good way as the bass is so sloppy and drowns out the mids and highs. Hopefully, a little playing around with that and it can be made acceptable.

Can't wait for better weather, a Torsen, 4.09s, and a BMR cradle lockout kit CB005 to get me started for the driving season next year.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The only other complaint is the audio system as it's so bassy, but not in a good way as the bass is so sloppy and drowns out the mids and highs. Hopefully, a little playing around with that and it can be made acceptable.
You can improve the bass substantially and cheaply by filling the subwoofer box with polyfill or some other hollow fibre type material from a cheap pillow. Tightens up the base a lot and removes the boom. Don't laugh too loudly when you see the sub speaker itself ! Also be very careful prying off the trim ring on the front of the sub as it is easy to break the clips - once it is off it is a five minute job. Then back off the bass to minimum in the settings and away you go.​

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Can people really not turn their high beam on and off by themselves?
One of the best features in the facelift - both of my Ford cars have it and it works very well. Yes you can turn it on and off yourself but when it works as it does then there is no need.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
it'll be going in for its 3rd new bonnet as soon as they get a new one in stock.
Right, so the aluminium bonnet has had issues but none of the other parts of the car like the doors or roof join areas?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Right, so the aluminium bonnet has had issues but none of the other parts of the car like the doors or roof join areas?
there's surface rust on the sub frame/frame rails where stones have nailed the black paint on them but all the hinges etc anything that should be blue basically is fine apart from the bonnet. even most of the bolts are alu so haven't corroded apart from some surface pitting/fluffing that rubs off. despite the paint being micro thin its held up ok so far.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aluminium corrosion on body panels is a problem faced by many car makers - steel is actually better for corrosion resistance these days, but they use aluminium to save weight. Underbody surface corrosion is completely normal for all cars on things such as subframes and suspension. They are built to last for a finite period and not to be kept for a lifetime. The surface rust is purely cosmetic and will never be a reason for structural failure in the realistic lifetime of the car. I would be surprised if there are any aluminium bolts anywhere - aluminium and steel don't mix in contact and aluminium makes pretty weak bolts compared to steel. White surface deposits are more likely related to zinc plating or other alloy coatings on steel bolts.

Very few cars are designed or built to last more than 10 years so if you want them to, you need to keep them very dry and away from any salt. hence the reason expensive exotics end up in air conditioned storage.

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Picked up my Need for Green on Monday, I was worried there wouldn't be enough difference between the MY17 and MY19 to excite me, but shouldn't have worried - loving the rev matching (it'll be interesting coming up behind a horse), active exhaust and digital dash. Feels great out of the box with the Michelins, even better than when I put them on mine previously, I'll have 8 MPS4S in the garage once my winters go on.

I don't like the fact that they've swapped the audio controls to the left, as I keep hitting the voice control button when I want to skip tracks. It may just be me, but have they made the indicator sound like a galloping horse?? I'm not keen on the all the 'safety' things they've added but suppose it's to get the NCAP rating up and I need to have a good look to see if I can turn them off. Can people really not turn their high beam on and off by themselves?

I I hadn't seen the colour in the flesh before, but it's so bright and with the wing on the back I'm really happy with it.
Picked my need for green up last Saturday also traded in my grabber blue , seems to be a common swap

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My bud in Beanacre, Wiltshire,UK keeps 6 BMW's in storage to swap parts. Yes, the aluminum bonnets do seem to be suspect but after 3 1/2 years my 2016 GT is right as rain. It has finally started to creak a bit going over uneven pavement. Great to see ponies are being delivered across the pond, in a timely fashion, Cheers!
tn_20191003_094528.jpg

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Picked my need for green up last Saturday also traded in my grabber blue , seems to be a common swap
Well what other colour is there once you've had Grabber Blue? Were you worried about going from the Shadow Edition to a non special edition? I quite like having a silver pony on the front now as I thought the black disappeared too much into the grill.

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
One of the best features in the facelift - both of my Ford cars have it and it works very well. Yes you can turn it on and off yourself but when it works as it does then there is no need.
I suppose it's convenient for the person driving, but I hate it when it's obvious a car coming towards you has it and it doesn't turn off until it's blinded you for a split second - I try to be courteous and if a car is coming round a bend I'll make sure it's off before I see them, same with people coming out of a side road etc. I just really don't like the way things are going in terms of creating lazy drivers - the amount of people who only have their DRLs on because they've only ever had auto lights and are not used to turning them on when they get in. I just don't think nanny stuff educates people to drive safely.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
I'm still running it in, but there's a noticeable difference in torque in 4th - I used to hit the rev limiter too often when overtaking in 3rd, so tended to use 4th more often, but I've noticed that it's not quite got the same oomph - maybe I'll have to use Sport mode instead of normal.
As you've got manual transmission it'll be down to the much higher gearing post-facelift (there are quite a few threads about it). Pre-facelift versus post-facelift is:

3rd 1.686 -> 1.420
4th 1.315 -> 1.000
5th 1.000 -> 0.810

Good news is you wouldn't run out of revs in 3rd any more...bad news is 4th will feel like your old 5th.

Using Sport will mean you don't have to flex your ankle as far but it won't change the amout of torque on offer or the gearing :)
Sponsored