Sponsored

Safty features work

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I've said it before. Treat it as a litre plus motorbike.
Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
That is why you survived, you did not left off and in fairness if you keep that principle in the Mustang the differential tends to work well, but if you let off in the Mustang the normal mode stability system factors let the car get to much angle before it steps in, at which time its too late.

But keeping your foot in it is what saved your ass, most people panick and let off which is when it goes wrong, if power does not solve it, modulate and ease out, letting off massively un-balances the car.

I advice wet mode and if your doing an overtake do not start acelerating until your on the other side and then ease into it. Smooth throttle inputs and wet mode will keep you safe.
I've said it before. Treat it as a litre plus motorbike.
Certainly agree with these comments....after nearly 2000miles with no issues, this morning I had my first real incident.
Temp was 2degC and I was about a mile from home on a country road following a lorry. Tried to overtake around 25mph in 3rd on a slight left hand bend with light throttle and the back end stepped out alarmingly to the right/left as my passenger door was parallel with the back of the wagon. I was very close to hitting either the wagon or the curb:eyebulge:. Surprised I kept cool and didn't brake or doing anything drastic just eased off the power and then tucked back in behind the wagon feeling a bit of a tit:tsk:

Obviously in hindsight low temps with cold tyres and pretty muddy roads don't mix with 400+hp. Taught me a lesson that is for sure! :eek:

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Certainly agree with these comments....after nearly 2000miles with no issues, this morning I had my first real incident.
Temp was 2degC and I was about a mile from home on a country road following a lorry. Tried to overtake around 25mph in 3rd on a slight left hand bend with light throttle and the back end stepped out alarmingly to the right/left as my passenger door was parallel with the back of the wagon. I was very close to hitting either the wagon or the curb:eyebulge:. Surprised I kept cool and didn't brake or doing anything drastic just eased off the power and then tucked back in behind the wagon feeling a bit of a tit:tsk:

Obviously in hindsight low temps with cold tyres and pretty muddy roads don't mix with 400+up. Taught me a lesson that is for sure! :eek:

The guy who mentions the motorbike is bang on it!

When overtaking on any road particular in a RWD car your process should be this:
- Check it is clear, then indicate
- Pull out smoothly (DO NOT INCREASE POWER)
- Get yourself on opposite side, car pointing straight, re-check its clear
- Now either pull back in or accelerate smoothly as per grip permits, do not shock the tyres, work with them
- Once safely pass reduce power and smoothly and gently pull back over
- You should still be on the black stuff and safely on your way!

Oh and remember for corners, slow in, fast (smoothly) out.

The biggest mistake with a RWD car is to accelerate around a travelling vehicle, even in the dry passing over the crown of the road, the white lines can cause the differential to shuffle power and shake the backend, in the wet it is absolutely 110% going to happen and put your sideways if you accelerate over the crown of the road and white lines, even a little. This is the biggest error I witness when a passenger in RWD cars with others.

If you want to treat the accelerator pedal like an on/off switch, mash the throttle when pulling out to overtake a car then do not buy a RWD car, especially a big heavy boat of run with plenty of torque and an LSD, your better off in something with AWD/4WD like an Audi/Golf or EVO/Impreza or even a Focus RS. Those cars can be driven like a pratt and you will survive most of the time or laugh it off, they do not command respect. The moment you stop respecting the Mustang it will rip your head off, eat it and shit it out.

Be careful guys, especially now the roads are turning to the that cold slippery mess at a freezing night.

Jury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
- Now either pull back in or accelerate smoothly as per grip permits, do not shock the tyres, work with them
^^^ this

It's the technique that the Ride Drive team teach - I spent an excellent couple of days with these guys learning roadcraft for RWD cars (when I had my TVR Griff). Ride Drive is made up of serving police drivers - in my case the guy was from Thames Valley who's principle patch was the notorious A34 between Newbury and Oxford.

Highly Recommended to take the advance driving lessons that these and similar companies offer.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The guy who mentions the motorbike is bang on it!

When overtaking on any road particular in a RWD car your process should be this:

Oh and remember for corners, slow in, fast (smoothly) out.

The biggest mistake with a RWD car is to accelerate around a travelling vehicle, even in the dry passing over the crown of the road, the white lines can cause the differential to shuffle power and shake the backend, in the wet it is absolutely 110% going to happen and put your sideways if you accelerate over the crown of the road and white lines, even a little. This is the biggest error I witness when a passenger in RWD cars with others.

If you want to treat the accelerator pedal like an on/off switch, mash the throttle when pulling out to overtake a car then do not buy a RWD car, especially a big heavy boat of run with plenty of torque and an LSD, your better off in something with AWD/4WD like an Audi/Golf or EVO/Impreza or even a Focus RS. Those cars can be driven like a pratt and you will survive most of the time or laugh it off, they do not command respect. The moment you stop respecting the Mustang it will rip your head off, eat it and shit it out.

Be careful guys, especially now the roads are turning to the that cold slippery mess at a freezing night.
New thread request: "Giobbo's Winter Driving Tips" ;)

Used to get a similar email once a year from our H&S manager in the office. People joked about it but it is useful. Especially for the inexperienced among us...

Would hate to see more photos like the one at the start of this thread.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
New thread request: "Giobbo's Winter Driving Tips" ;)

Used to get a similar email once a year from our H&S manager in the office. People joked about it but it is useful. Especially for the inexperienced among us...

Would hate to see more photos like the one at the start of this thread.
We all fuck it up.

Sometimes we all get a little excited behind the wheel and just stomp the loud pedal. :D

I do it many times, last night I drove the thing home like I'd stolen it and it was 5c out, thankfully it stuck to the road like shit to a blanket and it felt bonkers quick having an IAT of only 8c, great fun, but not the best advice. ;)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
We all fuck it up.

Sometimes we all get a little excited behind the wheel and just stomp the loud pedal. :D

I do it many times, last night I drove the thing home like I'd stolen it and it was 5c out, thankfully it stuck to the road like shit to a blanket and it felt bonkers quick having an IAT of only 8c, great fun, but not the best advice. ;)
Haha tip #1 - don't drive like Gibbo when cold/wet.

3 degrees on my drive in to work this morning. Throttle got the feathered touch treatment even though the roads were dry and sun was shining :ford:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Haha tip #1 - don't drive like Gibbo when cold/wet.

3 degrees on my drive in to work this morning. Throttle got the feathered touch treatment even though the roads were dry and sun was shining :ford:
Looks like it's time for wet mod constantly :lol:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I think "wet mod" was what Kristian was trying to avoid... ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think "wet mod" was what Kristian was trying to avoid... ;)
Nooo, mustang with chains on the wheels, easy peasy ;)!

Sponsored

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
It looks like Ride Drive have closed down: http://www.advanced-driving-course.co.uk/

After reading this thread I have decided that booking myself onto an advanced driving course as soon as possible after delivery is a good idea.

I have some experience of RWD cars with my S3 E Type having plenty of grunt, a mechanical LSD and decent brakes (for 1974) but nowt else in the way of safety features. It can be a real handful in damp conditions and although in 7 years of ownership I've not found myself pointing back where I started I've come very close.

OP
OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Got a reply today from the garage dealing with the car on the insurers behalf, they are recommending a new car replacement as it's not economical to repair the damaged one. Now awaiting feedback from the insurer.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Got a reply today from the garage dealing with the car on the insurers behalf, they are recommending a new car replacement as it's not economical to repair the damaged one. Now awaiting feedback from the insurer.
I hear ford have some for sale still. Should you wish a new Mustang...

I know it maybe 'cheap' but some of your mods you maybe able to take off your car and keep (to either sell on, or put on a new mustang).

Hey, on another benefit ordering in december/Jan will probably put you near to a 2016 order (Wait till feb to be pretty much 90% nailed on for one).

Anyway, glad you're ok, shame it's a right off :'(! Hopefully insurance pay out relatively quickly :)!

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
If you go for a factory order paid from insurance, you will end up with the cheaper road tax by the time it turns up. A small silver lining in a crappy cloud.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Got a reply today from the garage dealing with the car on the insurers behalf, they are recommending a new car replacement as it's not economical to repair
Pretty much a forgone conclusion I'd say:(

Hope you get sorted soon, but in the meantime I'd be talking to the garage, in an attempt to get your wheels back...:)
Sponsored