Sad times if true!

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
It states it's to do with emissions. Im glad i got my Mustang when I did, and will hold onto it. Whether the UK will have slightly different emission standards to the EU while still cutting emissions overall seems unlikely. Even if they did, Ford will likely not produce a different car for UK and EU.

Welcome to the era of automation and homogeneous vehicles

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Brexit or not the U.K. will follow the EU emissions legislation closely so we can sell into that market. If they can’t make an electrified 2 litre turbo 4 pot meet the internal ford requirements to keep fleet average down they sure as hell cant get the V8 to do it. No more mustang in Europe or U.K. when these new regs kick in next yr.
if Europe is out of the market for mustang then the rest of the world not including North America is such a small market there is no point producing an export market model. The Middle East will get the US models as they do now. Australia isn’t a big enough market to keep rhd production going. Cars currently on sale in 2020 with v8’s will be the last of their kind. No more AMG v8’s no more BMW v8’s either. I cant imagine Lexus will continue with V8s either due to the fleet average numbers. Buy now as new ones won’t be available for much longer.

I predict there will be a fallow period of maybe 3-5 yrs between these cars dying out and the gap being properly filled by zero emissions and hybrid cars that you might actually want at realistic prices. The tech exists. Tesla have made the model 3 hit an attractive price point and they go like stink Volvo have produced the fast and beautiful polestar 1 (at a limited run price). Just need everyone else to get on board and start building nice normal looking low emission cars that aren’t covered in blue streaks to show how environmentally friendly the driver is.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

Sponsored

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regulatory alignment is different to there being a business case, of course the UK could import from the US etc whether or not the import aligned with the EU. But the UK as well as the EU both want to reduce emissions, which is a sensible position, so they probably will be aligned on this. Although the up side to those that want to import next year from the US is that may not have to pay the 10% tariff.
For me a sports/performance car has to be involving so a Tesla does not do it for me from that point of view. But yes i probably would get a Tesla in the future just to get me from A to B but I wouldn't be interested in any "performance" versions - just the basic.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Spare a thought for those who were hanging on for an exciting new Bronco. 3 pot 1500cc anyone!?

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ref the RS. I believe Ford produced more MK3 FRS than any previous model, obviously OEMs can produce emmissions compliant cars, so then I'd guess it's down to a lack of will and the costs to maintain a presence in a niche which see Ford going toe to toe with VW with it's multiple brand and price point, generic 5 door hatch, AWD, Turbo products. Furthermore, I get the impression Ford is more focused now on EVs and autonomous transport, I could be way off!

The C8 certainly appears to be a very tantilising prospect. I always felt a large enough OEM could produce an "affordable" supercar, as in, 2 seats, mid mounted V8, RWD, etc.
Quite why it's taken so long I can't say, but kudos to Chevrolet for what seems to be a very good effort. I wonder how much power and peformance the hotter vesions will provide, when they're rolled out.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
obviously OEMs can produce emmissions compliant cars, so then I'd guess it's down to a lack of will and the costs to maintain a presence in a niche which see Ford going toe to toe with VW with it's multiple brand and price point, generic 5 door hatch, AWD, Turbo products. .
It isn't that the RS cannot be compliant, it is the average CO2 for the whole brand has to be reduced to an average of 95g/km with financial penalties to Ford for every g above that, which they obviously pass on. Think how many Fiesta's you have to sell to balance out one Mustang and you can see where it is going. Not sure if the UK has decided to align with this post transition yet but in the case of the RS it is very much a European product.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ah, yes! The cumulative, OEM CO2 output. It's a good point & one I'd over looked.
But it certainly would seem to be an equally effective factor in any decision Ford makes, not to produce the MK4 FRS.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Every manufacturer has to lower their average emissions across their entire range of vehicles. The Mustang being a far better seller than the RS, it got the chop.
Sponsored