Sponsored

S650 mule spotted..........with all wheel drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
What is this? Aspiring to Kia-level quality control and engineering excellence?

(yes, I'm saying Ford can't even muster modern Kia level of fit/finish or engineering for durability)
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That is exciting, after driving my wifes AWD sporty sedan (2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0t), I want an AWD Mustang. I will probably wait and see if is offered with a v8 or hybrid before settling for a RWD GT in 2022. Hope the information comes out in early 2022 and not late 2022.
I guarantee you, those pictures are NOT of an AWD Mustang test-mule. The article is bullshit click-bait. Lame guesses that are incorrect, it's just testing new brakes.

The S550 structure, as seen in the pics, has no room to add all the necessary hardware to make it AWD.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
it's really a crying shame the Mach1 (handling pack?) didn't come with the GT350 brakes. AWD will just be electric motors up front if it happens at all.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I guarantee you, those pictures are NOT of an AWD Mustang test-mule. The article is bullshit click-bait. Lame guesses that are incorrect, it's just testing new brakes.

The S550 structure, as seen in the pics, has no room to add all the necessary hardware to make it AWD.
Yeah, I’m not buying the location of the brake caliper mounting as an indication of AWD. I’m currently looking at several AWD vehicles in my shop where the brakes are not on the front side of the axle. I’m also certain we have some cars where the caliper is on the front and the car is RWD (RWD F25/F26 X3 and X4 come to mind). All examples I can look at here offer both AWD and FWD or RWD and none of that seems to have any effect on caliper placement on the rear axle.

In terms of fitting the hardware to make it AWD in that platform- it is possible, just not how any of us would want. They could transversely mount a 4cyl with a simple transfer case and run a driveshaft to the rear to a variable rear diff, effectively making the car FWD, unless needed by wheel slippage. This is how some AWD cars are set up (namely BMW F4x X1/X2 and newer MINI Fxx cars). There will be some reworking needed for the front knuckle / suspension to get the axles through there, but it is possible if they wanted to try it out. But really incredibly unlikely.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Remember Ford's patent? Electric motors powering the front wheels.....

hybrid patent.jpg

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can't even begin to imagine the weight.
Ford has 500lbs to burn before they get into Challenger territory so it's all good. Superchargers are an easy 100lbs, right? Nobody gets bent out of shape over that. And so what if they shove 150-200lbs of batteries under the rear seats. The car would be better balanced to boot.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has 500lbs to burn before they get into Challenger territory so it's all good. Superchargers are an easy 100lbs, right? Nobody gets bent out of shape over that. And so what if they shove 150-200lbs of batteries under the rear seats. The car would be better balanced to boot.
My supercharger with fluids added about 200lbs.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This is NOT the thinking we want to hear. The mustang should not be challenger weight, it needs to be much lighter.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ford guy flipping off the photographer FTW.
Good catch! Had to go back to the article to have a laugh. :D

I’ll be first in line for an AWD 8 cylinder Mustang...so long as there is a manual option. Very excited to see the S650!
Yeah, hopefully the time for manuals to die is not yet near. When it is, I hope to be retired and done with driving, but being 28yo I doubt that timeline.

"...to boot." Yup, it's very light around the trunk. Sorry I'll see myself out...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Good catch! Had to go back to the article to have a laugh. :D

Yeah, hopefully the time for manuals to die is not yet near. When it is, I hope to be retired and done with driving, but being 28yo I doubt that timeline.

"...to boot." Yup, it's very light around the trunk. Sorry I'll see myself out...
If they can pair electrification to manual im game.

the sema mustang electric was paired to a 6 speed manual

no idea how that works though. trying to wrap my head around it, there's no moving parts so its just weird

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If they can pair electrification to manual im game.

the sema mustang electric was paired to a 6 speed manual

no idea how that works though. trying to wrap my head around it, there's no moving parts so its just weird
Yeah I remember that vaguely.

I mean I would be game too for sure. Even if it is just a "fake" shifting thing, obviously there's not much gearing to change with EVs, but either way. Or maybe there'll be one reduction gear for economic driving and a couple manual-like ones for spirited driving... Dunno.

I wonder if it'll be like what the Honda CR-Z was like back in the day (Hybrid)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I remember that vaguely.

I mean I would be game too for sure. Even if it is just a "fake" shifting thing, obviously there's not much gearing to change with EVs, but either way. Or maybe there'll be one reduction gear for economic driving and a couple manual-like ones for spirited driving... Dunno.

I wonder if it'll be like what the Honda CR-Z was like back in the day (Hybrid)

unless, it isn't touching an engine at all, and it simply changes gear ratios in the axles. I mean im trying to figure out how it would change any type of engine management using electric.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.