S550 SVT Cobra: 5.2L NA Engine Details & More

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
One of you your darts hit the board.
LOL! "So you're sayin' there's a chance?"

Wouldn't it be something if Ford dropped the hammer on the Z/28, and made more power with almost two liters less displacement? It seems lately Ford has been smacking GM around with products:

Trucks -2014 Silverado unveil, Ford drops the Atlas concept and pushes GM into the corner

Midsize - Fusion has month over month success in 2013, Malibu has to be redesigned after a year and slumping sales (to be fair, other factors contributed to this)

While Mustang sales haven't beaten Camaro sales for a few years, they haven't been terrible either. Sure, they aren't the 05-06 rush for the retro models and free reign with no competition, but they're holding their own and in terms of performance, are hard to beat.
Sponsored

OP
OP

stangray11

Please say it was the pneumatic valvetrain....
+1.

Too many options listed in jjw's post. Any hint Falcman? Head is swirling with possibilities now. Any word if this will be a '16 launch? I may have to hold off.

OP
OP

K.Lysius

Z/28 is in response to Boss 302. And ******** will be SVT's response to Z/28. When I learned of the Boss 302's replacement's motor I was very surprised; it's very left field, and if LS7 doesn't get an overhaul then Z/28 is going to get royally shafted.
Sounds like we are talking about the rumors of the 5.2L (or slightly over 5.0) nicknamed "voodoo" engine to be made in limited quantities and rumored to go into the next Boss-replacement V8?

Lots of speculation/rumors again over at FIN (those guys are awesome by the way) that this may produce over 600hp NA (yes, without turbo/SC!). In less than 2 years. Pretty wild. Anyone else heard about this?

Update: apparently rumored to be developed by Mahle Powertrain -- http://www.mahle-powertrain.com/C1257126002DFC22/vwContentByKey/W2864AGM486STULEN
Says they specialize in series production high speed NA road engines >kW/l and production road engines (read: not race) that achieve performance, emissions and refinement, often in very restricted package constraints. Including low volume production of niche engines/variants.

OP
OP

zerot

Voodoo? Yea we'll need some witchcraft to get 600hp naturally aspirated. Or maybe, just a whole boatload of money. Can't imagine what this thing may cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MustangMarine

Sounds like we are talking about the rumors of the 5.2L (or slightly over 5.0) nicknamed "voodoo" engine to be made in limited quantities and rumored to go into the next Boss-replacement V8?

Lots of speculation/rumors again over at FIN (those guys are awesome by the way) that this may produce over 600hp NA (yes, without turbo/SC!). In less than 2 years. Pretty wild. Anyone else heard about this?
Interesting... never heard about this one before. Would a Boss replacement really get a special one off limited production engine though?

Speaking of Boss replacement, I been reading speculation that it'll be called GT350.

OP
OP

stangray11

Interesting... never heard about this one before. Would a Boss replacement really get a special one off limited production engine though?

Speaking of Boss replacement, I been reading speculation that it'll be called GT350.
Personally I dont see the 5.2 going into a limited prod.

A beast like this would have to go into the range topping SVT Cobra. IF we see 2 special editions it makes more sense to me that Ford utilize direct injection or forced induction of the coyote motor.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Again, I don't see more than one SVT Mustang at a time from them. Maybe a combo of an SE (based on a Coyote motor) and the SVT (based on the "Voodoo" engine [if in fact that's the name]) at the same time. Simply look back to the past few years with Pericak at the helm. Simpler, more equipped SE's and a better (IMO) product from SVT. Less badge jobs and more solid equipment packages on ALL models, not just the top of the line.

Here's my predictions:

Mustang Base - 3.7 V6, 305-315hp
Mustang Premium - 3.7 V6 OR 2.3 GTDI (270-305hp) but with a small improvement in fuel economy (2-3mpg)
Mustang GT - 5.0 V8, 432hp (split the difference between 13-14 GT and Boss)
Mustang GT Premium - 5.0 V8, 432hp

Mustang SVT (GT350?) - 5.2 V8, 525hp
Mustang SVT (GT350R) - 5.2 V8, 525hp, (75-100lbs lighter due to CF hood, no back seat, sound dampening, forged wheels)

Potentially slot in a 450-460hp, Coyote-based SE in there (Mach 1?) and you'll have the 2017MY lineup.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Again, I don't see more than one SVT Mustang at a time from them. Maybe a combo of an SE (based on a Coyote motor) and the SVT (based on the "Voodoo" engine [if in fact that's the name]) at the same time. Simply look back to the past few years with Pericak at the helm. Simpler, more equipped SE's and a better (IMO) product from SVT. Less badge jobs and more solid equipment packages on ALL models, not just the top of the line.

Here's my predictions:

Mustang Base - 3.7 V6, 305-315hp
Mustang Premium - 3.7 V6 OR 2.3 GTDI (270-305hp) but with a small improvement in fuel economy (2-3mpg)
Mustang GT - 5.0 V8, 432hp (split the difference between 13-14 GT and Boss)
Mustang GT Premium - 5.0 V8, 432hp

Mustang SVT (GT350?) - 5.2 V8, 525hp
Mustang SVT (GT350R) - 5.2 V8, 525hp, (75-100lbs lighter due to CF hood, no back seat, sound dampening, forged wheels)

Potentially slot in a 450-460hp, Coyote-based SE in there (Mach 1?) and you'll have the 2017MY lineup.
Sounds real good to me :)

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I wonder if they'd use a 5.2 on a 2015 Raptor since the F150 will be all new as well. It would help distribute the development costs.

OP
OP

8cyl

I wonder if they'd use a 5.2 on a 2015 Raptor since the F150 will be all new as well. It would help distribute the development costs.
Certainly not for the Raptor. And it would be unlike the SVT team to share an engine that one of the volume models receive without doing anything "special" to it. Besides, SVT has different budget and priorities. Sharing development costs and getting the most out of their investment in terms of economies of scale isn't high on their list, as seen with the blown 5.8 trinity. I think whatever motor they use, it will be unique to that SVT variant.

gonemad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
I see this thread starting to taper off but wanted to put my .02 in....

The only way I see a 5.2 n/a engine reaching the 600hp is by using a flat plane crank design. Its been said its out of left field but hey it makes sense...especially for the Euro market. Wont sound like an american v-8 but it sure will scream!

OP
OP

Melino

I forgot where I saw it but it was one of the insider sites, GM or Ford but someone said that they are no longer shooting for 600hp. If I remember, they said it was going to be less powerful in order to obtain a longer life for the engine.

But it will still hopefully be high revving N/A engine.

Tempus

Threads
Reaction score
I see this thread starting to taper off but wanted to put my .02 in....

The only way I see a 5.2 n/a engine reaching the 600hp is by using a flat plane crank design. Its been said its out of left field but hey it makes sense...especially for the Euro market. Wont sound like an american v-8 but it sure will scream!
I dont know a flat plane crank engine for the SVT? The GT can't sound better than the SVT, that would be an embarrassment. :tsk:
Sponsored