Sponsored

S197 SEATS IN A S550 - DOABLE SWAP?

BoatsHateMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I've been hunting for Mustang most of the summer, ready to pull the trigger and have been test driving a number of them. I'd kind of settled in to the S197 as I just preferred the stance and the look, the closest to the late 60's early 70s which I certainly can't afford (or at least justify) dressed out the way I'd like a restomod.

My strategy has been to scout the units I liked, look them over and or test drive them and if it was something worth considering I'd bring the wife back if she wasn't with me to take a run in it. She has very bad back issues so it's important she tries them out to be sure she can be comfortable in the seat. There hasn't been much of an issue with any of the S197s except for a Shelby GT which I think was related to the Shelby suspension. We did drive an '11 GT which she noted were the most comfortable. I was unaware of there being a difference from the earlier S197s to the later models and maybe there wasn't, maybe it was perceived. I loved that Coyote but it hesitated when cold which I've heard can be a common issue so because of that, I did not buy it. However I was not bitten by the Coyote bug and upped my budget a bit and started to widen my search.

I found a '15 S550 that was beautiful and immaculate, even with 97K on it. I drove it and fell in love with it, even with the lower ride stance that I prefer in the S197. That and it went like a sexually assaulted ape. I brought my lovely bride for a test drive thinking she's going to love it too and I'd be driving it home. Before we got out of the parking lot the seat had put her low back out, the higher bolsters and just the fit of the seat didn't work for her at all. I was bummed but she's onboard with this whole thing so I want her to feel good about it in all aspects.

So I'm wondering - What challenges would I run into putting seats from a S197 into a S550? I know most will think I'm crazy but different strokes for different folks. The S550 has heated and cooled full power seats also which I presume is going to be a non starter.

Are there other aftermarket seats out there that are more comfort oriented? I'm leery of that without her having the opportunity to sit in them.

Me, I could ride on a 5 gallon pail as long as I get to go through the gears.
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I've been hunting for Mustang most of the summer, ready to pull the trigger and have been test driving a number of them. I'd kind of settled in to the S197 as I just preferred the stance and the look, the closest to the late 60's early 70s which I certainly can't afford (or at least justify) dressed out the way I'd like a restomod.

My strategy has been to scout the units I liked, look them over and or test drive them and if it was something worth considering I'd bring the wife back if she wasn't with me to take a run in it. She has very bad back issues so it's important she tries them out to be sure she can be comfortable in the seat. There hasn't been much of an issue with any of the S197s except for a Shelby GT which I think was related to the Shelby suspension. We did drive an '11 GT which she noted were the most comfortable. I was unaware of there being a difference from the earlier S197s to the later models and maybe there wasn't, maybe it was perceived. I loved that Coyote but it hesitated when cold which I've heard can be a common issue so because of that, I did not buy it. However I was not bitten by the Coyote bug and upped my budget a bit and started to widen my search.

I found a '15 S550 that was beautiful and immaculate, even with 97K on it. I drove it and fell in love with it, even with the lower ride stance that I prefer in the S197. That and it went like a sexually assaulted ape. I brought my lovely bride for a test drive thinking she's going to love it too and I'd be driving it home. Before we got out of the parking lot the seat had put her low back out, the higher bolsters and just the fit of the seat didn't work for her at all. I was bummed but she's onboard with this whole thing so I want her to feel good about it in all aspects.

So I'm wondering - What challenges would I run into putting seats from a S197 into a S550? I know most will think I'm crazy but different strokes for different folks. The S550 has heated and cooled full power seats also which I presume is going to be a non starter.

Are there other aftermarket seats out there that are more comfort oriented? I'm leery of that without her having the opportunity to sit in them.

Care to explain what are her complaints? I don't think it would not be smart to buy a S550 to put S197 seat. You will have to make or buy some kind of custom brackets which will cause the seat to be higher taking away head room.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Care to explain what are her complaints? I don't think it would not be smart to buy a S550 to put S197 seat. You will have to make or buy some kind of custom brackets which will cause the seat to be higher taking away head room.
Not only that, but then having to deal with the electronics of the seat swap and air bags... it's not as easy as it used to be for just a simple seat swap, not with all the body control modules and CANBUS connections that relay this or that info back and forth...

What about a seat pad for the seats, something that helps with the back back bolstering? Even if there were seat pads, I would suspect the already low stance of the S550 would be hard to get in and out of over time for anyone with back related concerns.

OP
OP

BoatsHateMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Not only that, but then having to deal with the electronics of the seat swap and air bags... it's not as easy as it used to be for just a simple seat swap, not with all the body control modules and CANBUS connections that relay this or that info back and forth...

What about a seat pad for the seats, something that helps with the back back bolstering? Even if there were seat pads, I would suspect the already low stance of the S550 would be hard to get in and out of over time for anyone with back related concerns.
CANBUS connections
'Nuff said right there. I don't need any nightmares. If someone had already done this and knew the ins and outs I'd consider it.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Perhaps both the best and cheapest option would be to buy the car you want (obviously staying away from track-focused cars where hard suspension will be an issue), and then find a good seat upholster to modify the passenger seat as needed for your wife's specific case? Perhaps buying a second-hand seat which you can modify however needed, so when it's time to later sell the car some day in the future, you can re-install the original seat.

A competent shop should also be able to handle the in-seat airbags on the S550 I'd think.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Perhaps both the best and cheapest option would be to buy the car you want (obviously staying away from track-focused cars where hard suspension will be an issue), and then find a good seat upholster to modify the passenger seat as needed for your wife's specific case? Perhaps buying a second-hand seat which you can modify however needed, so when it's time to later sell the car some day in the future, you can re-install the original seat.

A competent shop should also be able to handle the in-seat airbags on the S550 I'd think.
This^^^
As I was reading this thread I thought about all the people who have modified their motorcycle seats and thought surely someone does the same thing for automotive seats. It might take a bit to find a shop and probably won't be cheep. But it does sound like it could solve your problems.

OP
OP

BoatsHateMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Strangely enough I hadn’t thought of that. I need to check to see what’s out there in the Twin City area and have consult.

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Maybe she would find the Recaro seat more comfortable? Though I personally think the regular seats are much more comfy.

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1

Yes, you need to know her specific issue(s) with the S550.
I expect that it's not a seat problem, but that the S550 sits too low. Maybe the solution is to crank the power passenger seat up.
My 2006 S197 seemed to sit noticeably higher than my 2020 S550. Anybody have any measurements for this?

My non-Recaro S550 seats are -significantly- more comfortable than the non-Recaro seats in my S197.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Yes, you need to know her specific issue(s) with the S550.
I expect that it's not a seat problem, but that the S550 sits too low. Maybe the solution is to crank the power passenger seat up.
My 2006 S197 seemed to sit noticeably higher than my 2020 S550. Anybody have any measurements for this?

My non-Recaro S550 seats are -significantly- more comfortable than the non-Recaro seats in my S197.
I dont know how tall you are but I dont think that the seats on the S550 are to low. I have my seat all the way down because if I dont I will be seeing some headliner. The issue with the passenger seat is that its inclined toward the front. I think that this seat would have been great if the tilt so you could lift the front some.

OP
OP

BoatsHateMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The issue with the passenger seat is that its inclined toward the front. I think that this seat would have been great if the tilt so you could lift the front some.
This is the issue I think. She said one of the issues was that it seemed it was trying to eject her out the front of the seat. That and the bolstering on the sides seemed narrower and were uncomfortable for her perfect to me bottom. :inlove:
Sponsored