Sponsored

Rumor: GT500 BASE MSRP is 67k

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not JUST old guys in general, specifically old guys born pre-1970. That was the Corvette's market demographic, and as time has gone on, the sales numbers have declined, while the demographic has stayed mostly the same. The main people who want Corvettes are the people who grew up with them being the top of the game. Most younger people see the GTR in that position. And speaking of the GTR...

The GTR is considered by many as the "civic of supercars". Even at 10 years stagnant, the GTR still sells a decent amount for a $100k+ car. This year, Chevy sold less than 10,000 Corvettes. If they could even sell 20,000 at at least $100k per unit, that's a MASSIVE increase. Hell, they could sell about 10k of them, and if they keep the profit margin the same, it would still be more profitable. I'm thinking the plan is to keep the Camaro in the under-$100k price range and bump the Corvette up to a more "exotic" market

Oh, I definitely agree! If it comes in at $60k like some people think, I'll be the first in line to put it in the garage next to my Mustang! But the realist in me says that the chances of a mid engine-aluminum-construction monocoque chassis with a 500+hp V8 and 9 speed DCT in it isn't going to be cheap. if you just ignore the name "corvette" for a second, $60 seems extremely unrealistic
I disagree with almost everything you've said. From the perspective of a guy born before 1970, I don't think that's quite "old guy" territory yet. More like 1960 IMO.

The GTR doesn't sell much. I don't know what young people think, but I see a lot more young guys in 'vettes than in GTRs. I rarely even see a GTR around here. And that's what I'm talking about. In the middle of the country where I live, $100k is more money than most people will spend.

I don't think mid-engine necessarily makes a car more expensive to build. Look at the Porsche Cayman. Yes DCTs are expensive, but I'm not planning to buy a car with a DCT. If GM doesn't make a manual transmission version of the C8, I will never own a C8. It's that simple.

Honestly, I'll be severely disappointed if this car performs like the C7GS... I'm expecting it to perform more around Z06-level (with exception to 1/4 mile time, however, it will likely be dead center between the Z06 and GS with increased grip from weight distribution and the power bump) with an even more upscale interior. Also, keep in mind that we've been seeing this car with an electronically retractable targa top... that kind of stuff adds cost. If that's standard on the car, that and the power bump alone could warrant $6k on just a C7 platform. Combine that with the platform, transmission, interior, etc. and it seems to get more unrealistic.

i don't mean to doubt you, as you are the one who knows a lot of inside GM info, but if Chevy can somehow make this car for $60k, then I'm not confident that it will be high quality, durable, or that great to drive. Maybe the chassis issues they've been having are indicative of that...
I really hope GM doesn't try to make the C8 into a Porsche with a high end interior and raise the price $20k to compensate. I hope it's more like the current/past 'vettes with a somewhat creaky and cheap interior and an awesome drivetrain. Otherwise GM might lose their buyers.

I'd have to agree a little with this but most Chevy dealers are always over stocked on Corvettes....simply put they over produce them.
I see the new C8 going in the opposite direction. In other words they almost have to make it over 100K to give it an "exclusive feel" and not to piss off people who just paid 85K or so for a Z06 in the last 2 years.
Every car manufacturer wants to irritate the people that bought in the last 2 years by improving their latest vehicles. That's how they get people to keep buying new cars. If the new cars aren't better than last year's models, why buy?
Sponsored

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
Every car manufacturer wants to irritate the people that bought in the last 2 years by improving their latest vehicles. That's how they get people to keep buying new cars. If the new cars aren't better than last year's models, why buy?
I sort of felt bad for those that purchased a 2010 Mustang GT with the 4.6 and 305 hp I believe. The next model year had the 5.0 with about a 100 hp increase.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I sort of felt bad for those that purchased a 2010 Mustang GT with the 4.6 and 305 hp I believe. The next model year had the 5.0 with about a 100 hp increase.
Ford is classic for doing this.

The example above and the following off the top of my head:

2008 escape new body/refresh

Then 2009 new drivetrain with HO V6 and 6sp trans

Then reverse 2017 F-150 new ecoboost and then 2018 refresh the rest of the truck.

Ford does it to get trade ins. And it works for greedy, showy people. To each their own.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
Can it be realistic that the new C8 Mid engine Vette is going to start at less than a ZR1? I would think not.....

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can it be realistic that the new C8 Mid engine Vette is going to start at less than a ZR1? I would think not.....
I think it's realistic, but not a lot lower, ZR1 starts at about $120k, I forsee the C8 starting around where a loaded C7Z would at $105-110k

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Insurance on the C8 might be pricey as well. Most mid engine monocoque designs are expensive to insure since if you damage the central structure, they really don’t fix them. Damage it and I think they total it.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I am hoping that the other car manufacturers start making their version of a mid engine car, again. Toyota did it with the MR2 but dropped it. Pontiac did it with the Fiero. But it may be wishful thinking.
Sponsored