• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

[RUMOR] Ford Mustang GTD Lite Under Consideration

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It would appear that a GTD Lite is under consideration.
...sources familiar with the matter have now exclusively told Ford Authority that the automaker is considering a “lite” version of that forthcoming supercar, too...
...one that would possibly sport a price tag of less than $100k, according to sources. This means that the “lite” version of the GTD wouldn’t come equipped with much of that model’s exotic components and would instead utilize more traditional body panels, though it would also reportedly retain the regular GTD powertrain – a supercharged 5.2L V8 that is slated to produce more than 800 horsepower in that model. We also know that unlike the GTD, the lite version would be built by Ford – not Multimatic.
If Ford does in fact decide to ditch the Shelby branding for its forthcoming range-topping pony car, it’s possible that this new, toned-down version of the GTD may wind up taking the GT500’s spot atop the regular lineup, too. However, as Ford Authority exclusively reported last week, no decision on that particular topic has been made as of yet.
https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/ford-mustang-gtd-lite-under-consideration-exclusive/

I remember @OppoLock posting in a now-deleted thread that he was hoping for a GTD Lite to come out for those of us "in the non-illuminati tax bracket". If this has a shred of validity to it (and I believe it may, given the Mustang related news as of late), it's time to start saving.
Sponsored

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/ford-mustang-gtd-lite-under-consideration-exclusive/

I remember @OppoLock posting in a now-deleted thread that he was hoping for a GTD Lite to come out for those of us "in the non-illuminati tax bracket". If this has a shred of validity to it (and I believe it may, given the Mustang related news as of late), it's time to start saving.
There is like zero content in that post... feels like some cheap click-bait article tbh...

We know a GT500 successor is in the works,
we know that it will most likely house the same/ a very similar powerhouse compared to the outgoing Shelby,
we know it will have some 800+ hp,
we know that pricing will increase by ~20%, which will result in approximately $95-99K,
it is safe to assume that Ford will most likely drop the Shelby branding...

One can also consider that Ford is not investing heavily into that car. Therefore, the car will be based on the GT and not on the GTD. However, it would make a lot of sense if quite a few stylistic elements would carry over so that unaware buyers get the impression that it is a GTD light and not some modified S650 GT.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the reveal and further rumors.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
We know a GT500 successor is in the works,
we know that it will most likely house the same/ a very similar powerhouse compared to the outgoing Shelby,
we know it will have some 800+ hp,
we know that pricing will increase by ~20%, which will result in approximately $95-99K,
it is safe to assume that Ford will most likely drop the Shelby branding...
I agree with everything you said, especially we don’t have much info to go off of.

But I will say with the GTD, Ford expanded what a Mustang could be and it’s almost as if the Shelby name pigeon holes them in a way… can’t really explain it.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Oh my goodness, wished that I could wait for that car if I hadn’t bought the Dark Horse but fortunately I could get the Whipple Supercharger to match it up to the light GTD! Will the light GTD come in with mid-transmission? It would be super awesome!

Loucas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Ford should focus on weight savings and an AWD system in a totally redesigned package. Something you take from the factory to the race track and run 30-40 minute sessions without having to worry about temps or running out of tires. A dry sump system, dual clutch transmission, and AWD with steering feedback comparable to a 911 or Ferrari. Maybe mid-engine.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350

This is the most uplifting rumor I’ve heard in ages, thanks for the tag.

We plebeian folk want cool stuff too. 🥲

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Ford should focus on weight savings and an AWD system in a totally redesigned package. Something you take from the factory to the race track and run 30-40 minute sessions without having to worry about temps or running out of tires. A dry sump system, dual clutch transmission, and AWD with steering feedback comparable to a 911 or Ferrari. Maybe mid-engine.
The cost of that would make it the same cost as the GTD if not more. We all want to have a chance at buy the car so I don't see Ford doing that for a car they want to produce a lot of. They would do that to the GTD

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
images ive seen from another thread show me its at least going to be the supercharged engine with a transaxle, possibly pushrod suspension. drops the carbon body and active aero rear wing. Depending on how many GTDs they've sold the R&D cost for most of this stuff has already been eaten up so most of the price is pushed by the cost of parts.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
Just let the AWD go. Lol.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
If they do make a "GTD Lite", I can't see it being AWD. It's supposed to be a street legal version of the GT3 racecar after all, right?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So a supercharged GT with a fixed wing on the back? Forget about the suspension, active aero, magnesium wheels, wide body is probably gone using the standard 315/305s....... so essentially a 2020 GT500 CFTP with a different wing?

That car, if that's it, wouldn't belong in the same description as a GTD. The uniqueness of what makes a GTD can't be replicated at a lower price point.

The fact that the car would be built on the flat rock line says that multimatic won't put their touch on the car.

We will see....

OP
OP

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
images ive seen from another thread show me its at least going to be the supercharged engine with a transaxle, possibly pushrod suspension. drops the carbon body and active aero rear wing. Depending on how many GTDs they've sold the R&D cost for most of this stuff has already been eaten up so most of the price is pushed by the cost of parts.
This interests me. Is this a thread we can see, or is it something internal?

OP
OP

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So a supercharged GT with a fixed wing on the back? Forget about the suspension, active aero, magnesium wheels, wide body is probably gone using the standard 315/305s....... so essentially a 2020 GT500 CFTP with a different wing?
What's to say the active aero won't be part of a package, or that the magnesium wheels won't make it over? If the R&D costs have been eaten by the GTD I can envision a situation like with the GT500 in which it might be part of a CFTP-equivalent.

Also, with the magnesium wheels, I'm not sure the 325/345s won't make it over from the GTD. The 305/315s were standard on the GT500 and optional on the M1/DH. I don't see Ford neglecting to improve on that if they already exist in their parts bin.

Also keep in mind there is a possibility we're getting the transaxle as well, which will likely change a good part of the dynamics of the car. That in itself will make it stand out from the GT500, if it's done correctly.
Sponsored