RPM drops on 2019 GT

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Just to give everyone an update on this. I'm at 13,800 miles on my 2020 and the idle drop happens once or so every long ride (30 minutes or more). At a red light, the idle drops as low as 475 to 500, but then quickly rises back to 600. The car shakes as well. Once the light turns green, it may or not may show up again for the rest of the ride. So far, it has not stalled. The dealer said there were no codes, and not to bring it back until it stalls. One thing is for sure on mine, it is definitely not dirty oil. I've had 4 oil changes already (5W 20 full synthetic - all done at the dealership).
Hopefully, someone down the road will have a solution for this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Could you please elaborate on it a little?..
@ Mike - I believe we have 2 cam phasers and 4 VCT solenoids. Seems like the dealership will first clean the VCT solenoids by cycling them 10 times. If that does not work, they then either replace them or the cam phasers:(

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
@ Mike - I believe we have 2 cam phasers and 4 VCT solenoids. Seems like the dealership will first clean the VCT solenoids by cycling them 10 times. If that does not work, they then either replace them or the cam phasers:(
Do you think it's expensive? I have no warranty, unfortunately.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Gt. Very random intervals, even does it cold once in a blue moon. I'm 99.9% confident it's vvt actuators. When it happens I can also watch my afr go nuts for a couple seconds. No cel's as of yet. I also know for a fact my exhaust vvt solenoids need to be replaced as they rattle very loudly on engine decel.

The best solution to fix the issue is usually new vvt actuators and solenoids as precaution. The parts aren't very expensive but the labor is as the entire front engine cover and timing chain assembly must be removed, re-installed and timed. I would suspect an easy $1500+ for the parts and labor which I've also read sometimes doesn't fix the issue. Not sure if the phasers get starved of oil in some engine castings or what. I switched to 5w-30 oil which did seem to reduce the frequency it happened. I've just learned to live with it for the most part.

Aside from that the other option is to get a tune and have your idle rpm's increased by 100 or so which I've read also seems to help or at least mask the worst part of it.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Do you think it's expensive? I have no warranty, unfortunately.
From what I read on here, I think the 4 VCT solenoids are cheap and easy to install. The cam phasers on the other hand, are more intricate to change.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Gt. Very random intervals, even does it cold once in a blue moon. I'm 99.9% confident it's vvt actuators. When it happens I can also watch my afr go nuts for a couple seconds. No cel's as of yet. I also know for a fact my exhaust vvt solenoids need to be replaced as they rattle very loudly on engine decel.

The best solution to fix the issue is usually new vvt actuators and solenoids as precaution. The parts aren't very expensive but the labor is as the entire front engine cover and timing chain assembly must be removed, re-installed and timed. I would suspect an easy $1500+ for the parts and labor which I've also read sometimes doesn't fix the issue. Not sure if the phasers get starved of oil in some engine castings or what. I switched to 5w-30 oil which did seem to reduce the frequency it happened. I've just learned to live with it for the most part.

Aside from that the other option is to get a tune and have your idle rpm's increased by 100 or so which I've read also seems to help or at least mask the worst part of it.

@ Gary - welcome to the club:)
I never had my car do it cold, only when it has been driven for at least 30 minutes or so. Thankfully, it has not stalled yet. Next time it happens, I'm going to put the AC on, which will raise the idle. I'm wondering if that will offset it?

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if there is a way to fix the cam phasers without replacing them? The VCT solenoids get cycled 10 times to clear the debris.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maclay74

Maclay74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019
I wonder if there is a way to fix the cam phasers without replacing them? The VCT solenoids get cycled 10 times to clear the debris.
Is it something we can do by forscan?..

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I just changed my oil and did some hard driving to cycle the solenoids issue seems to be less now. I always change at 5k miles with full syn. Around 3k it seems to act up more maybe fuel dilution in the oil from the direct injection not really sure. I might try solenoids but I don’t have the time to replace them.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Update and possible band-aid solution.
Guys,
I continue to have the idle issue show-up randomly at a red light. Thankfully, it still has not stalled or triggered any codes.
The last few times it has happened, I was able to counteract the idle drop by immediately putting the AC on. When the AC came on, the idle picked up and the car stopped shaking. Give it try and see if it works for you.
Sponsored