Sponsored

Roush Axle Backs - Too loud with Vert?

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
First of all, I have searched and read a lot of threads about these muffs.

I am trying to determine, without hearing them in person, if these are going to be too loud on a convertible. I dont want any drone. I want it calm and collected when I want it to be and just a bit louder than stock.

For those of you that have them, or have had them, what are you thoughts/opinions?

TIA
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Roush is not an option if you don't want to be too loud. Roush is wake up the neighbors loud. I had Roush axle-backs along with Roush CAI on my EcoBoost. I liked the sound, no drone that I could notice. But very loud cold starts. Now on the GT I went with Solo Performance catback instead and I'm happier, though it is louder due to other changes I made.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Let me preface my comments by saying I'm the guy that has changed his exhaust 4 times to get it right.

But first a couple questions:

Are you running the stock resonator?

Do you ever see yourself doing headers or cat deletes?

OP
OP

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
Roush is not an option if you don't want to be too loud. Roush is wake up the neighbors loud. I had Roush axle-backs along with Roush CAI on my EcoBoost. I liked the sound, no drone that I could notice. But very loud cold starts. Now on the GT I went with Solo Performance catback instead and I'm happier, though it is louder due to other changes I made.
Thanks! I have heard that the Roush ones are louder but do not drone at all. I dont mind a volume increase, just trying to find balance between stock and too loud.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
Let me preface my comments by saying I'm the guy that has changed his exhaust 4 times to get it right.

But first a couple questions:

Are you running the stock resonator?

Do you ever see yourself doing headers or cat deletes?
Stock res is still on. I plan on going Roush FI and keeping my warranty, so headers are likely not going to happen.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Stock res is still on. I plan on going Roush FI and keeping my warranty, so headers are likely not going to happen.
So the Roush is definitely one of the louder mufflers but not known to drone especially with the stock resonators. On my "doable" scale Roush would be right at the top, barely making the cut. I prefer my car to be on the quiet side.

A couple suggestions to at least look at:

-Weld in GT500 mufflers. Find some sound clips about the best sounding set up going.
-Magnaflow street has a nice mellow sound with no drone. You can even have a set welded in like mine.

OP
OP

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
Wow,,, now I am checking other threads and see that we can ADD Factory Active Exhaust to our GTs. That might just be the way to go.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Do a Solo II cat-back, I realize it's a bit more vs. just an axle-back, but it'll be a more "matched" system and there's the slick thing: the center resonator is modular for all their CB systems.

There's three options: Race - Loudest (basically just a crossover), Mach Thunder - moderate (11" resonator), and a Mach XV - quietest (18" resonator), you can buy the resonator separate, so you might start with a Thunder, add headers, then swap out to an 18" XV resonator. Some other slick stuff like adjustable J-pipes (very little drone), ball joint mounted tips for alignment (tips also modular, can go polished, black, duals).

They also work with the convertible's rear bracing. Very highly recommended.

https://solo-performance.com/performance-exhaust-system

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
So the Roush is definitely one of the louder mufflers but not known to drone especially with the stock resonators. On my "doable" scale Roush would be right at the top, barely making the cut. I prefer my car to be on the quiet side.

A couple suggestions to at least look at:

-Weld in GT500 mufflers. Find some sound clips about the best sounding set up going.
-Magnaflow street has a nice mellow sound with no drone. You can even have a set welded in like mine.
I agree. +1 to the GT500 mufflers if you don't want loud. Either that or Corsa Sport.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I bought a set of AWE touring axles. Haven’t installed yet. My car is stored for a while yet. But I read a fair bit in them and I think these will suit my needs perfectly. I installed a set of CJPP unbranded last summer, I loved them, but wifey thought they were a bit loud and had a little drone at crusing speed.

I have come to realize the perfect exhaust note is a very subjective thing.:)

Last edited:

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Convertible
First of all, I have searched and read a lot of threads about these muffs.

I am trying to determine, without hearing them in person, if these are going to be too loud on a convertible. I dont want any drone. I want it calm and collected when I want it to be and just a bit louder than stock.

For those of you that have them, or have had them, what are you thoughts/opinions?

TIA
I have a vert with Roush axle backs. First, let me just say that all exhaust sound is subjective. Here’s my take: on cold start, they are louder than I like. I wish early AM starts could be quieter. Under calm driving and cruising, they sound great. Absolutely zero drone. Highway driving with top up or down is great. However, if you get into the throttle, they get loud quickly.
The issue I have with them is their tone, not their volume. I wish they had a deeper tone. It’s really best to hear before you buy. I plan to replace them, but only once I hear what I want.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Do a Solo II cat-back, I realize it's a bit more vs. just an axle-back, but it'll be a more "matched" system and there's the slick thing: the center resonator is modular for all their CB systems.

There's three options: Race - Loudest (basically just a crossover), Mach Thunder - moderate (11" resonator), and a Mach XV - quietest (18" resonator), you can buy the resonator separate, so you might start with a Thunder, add headers, then swap out to an 18" XV resonator. Some other slick stuff like adjustable J-pipes (very little drone), ball joint mounted tips for alignment (tips also modular, can go polished, black, duals).

They also work with the convertible's rear bracing. Very highly recommended.

https://solo-performance.com/performance-exhaust-system
Another recommendation for Solo catback. That's what I have.

I started with the Mach Thunder, which was fine on its own. Then I did the cat deletes, and the volume went way up, so I got the mid section of the Mach XV and swapped it in the middle. Back to a more manageable level, although cold starts are still loud as hell.

freshjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Id like to suggest Ford Performance touring axle-back. I daily my GT and these are perfect, no drone at highway speeds and makes a nice sound when you get onto it.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
After ALOT of research and running H-pipe res delete on stock mufflers, I put on the Roush axelbacks, BUT also added a couple bottle resonators (see sig). As others say, no drone, but with resonators it has a low mean rumble, no pops or crackles. It roars when I get on it, and is not offensively loud under cruising speeds. That is if your driving alone. I didn't notice the volume until I had a conversation with a passenger. I don't like loud for the sake of loud, I just wanted the classic muscle car sound and these seem to fit the bill.
Sponsored