Roush Active iO Exhaust?

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, Manual, Magneride
My 2019 GT didn't come with Active Exhaust. The stock exhaust is fine for commuting, but I'd like the ability to make it louder when I want. I looked into adding the factory Active Exhaust, but from the threads I've read that sounds like it might not be possible on the 2019s. So I started looking at aftermarket options.

The Roush active exhaust kit (422100) is too expensive for me - $2,700! Even their kit to add an active exhaust to any quad tip system is really pricey. But then I saw their cheaper 'Active iO' exhaust kit (422128). It looks to be nearly identical to their standard kit, but instead of the fancy dial with multiple modes, it has a simple open/closed switch. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, and it is almost $1,000 cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper kit? With Black Friday coming up, seems like it would be a great time get a system!
Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
My 2019 GT didn't come with Active Exhaust. The stock exhaust is fine for commuting, but I'd like the ability to make it louder when I want. I looked into adding the factory Active Exhaust, but from the threads I've read that sounds like it might not be possible on the 2019s. So I started looking at aftermarket options.

The Roush active exhaust kit (422100) is too expensive for me - $2,700! Even their kit to add an active exhaust to any quad tip system is really pricey. But then I saw their cheaper 'Active iO' exhaust kit (422128). It looks to be nearly identical to their standard kit, but instead of the fancy dial with multiple modes, it has a simple open/closed switch. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, and it is almost $1,000 cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper kit? With Black Friday coming up, seems like it would be a great time get a system!
I've heard of people running that kit with great success. Its a great sounding setup, especially for people that didn't get the active exhaust setup as an option. We have Roush on sale for Black Friday starting on the 28th. Hit me up if you want to see what kind of deal we can do with it.

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! Do you know if "quiet" mode is much louder than stock? I don't mind a little more volume, especially when I step on it. But I don't want it much louder than it is now cruising on the highway at 75 mph completely stock.

However, I hope it is a lot louder than stock when opened!

I will be sure to contact you on the 28th to see what kind of deal you can do. Thanks again!

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
I ended up purchasing the exhaust and installing it over the Christmas break. It is AMAZING!! It is everything I was hoping for and more! When the valve is closed, it is barely louder than stock, however it has a throatier sound to it (if that is a word). But when you flip the switch, it comes alive and makes a TON of noise! :clap:

It was everything I was hoping for and more! With the Black Friday discount, it was too good of a deal to pass up!

Visage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the same car as you and I’m considering doing exactly this. However my one hang up is cold start. How is it compared to stock?

I currently have a Borla S-Type (non active) but found that to be too loud for the neighbors. So I added the Borla resonator to quiet it down. But going this mostly quieted it down at high RPM. It’s still beastly at cold start and putting around town.

I’m hoping the stock resonator plus this Lite setup will be quieter with valves closed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
I have the same car as you and I’m considering doing exactly this. However my one hang up is cold start. How is it compared to stock?
It's been over a year since I've had a completely stock exhaust, so I don't remember exactly how loud it was. But with the valves closed, cold starts are MUCH quieter than with them opened! (everything else is still stock)

When I come home late in the evening I close the valves to be considerate to the neighbors, but I always open them once I'm back in my garage before I turn off the ignition. If I forget, I'm always disappointed the next day when I start it up and only get a wimpy purr instead of the rattling roar!

One quick note - over the last year I found that I started driving more and more with the valves open. Originally I only opened them every now and then. Now, I only close them if I REALLY need to.

Lastly, I noticed over the last few months that if the valves are closed when accelerating hard, most of the "GT music" come from the engine in front of you - the exhaust is barely there. However, when the valves are opened, all you can hear is the exhaust behind you!

Last edited:

Visage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's been over a year since I've had a completely stock exhaust, so I don't remember exactly how loud it was. But with the valves closed, cold starts are MUCH quieter than with them opened! (everything else is still stock)

When I come home late in the evening I close the valves to be considerate to the neighbors, but I always open them once I'm back in my garage before I turn off the ignition. If I forget, I'm always disappointed the next day when I start it up and only get a wimpy purr instead of the rattling roar!

One quick note - over the last year I found that I started driving more and more with the valves open. Originally I only opened them every now and then. Now, I only close them if I REALLY need to.

Lastly, I noticed over the last few months that if the valves are closed when accelerating hard, most of the "GT music" come from the engine in front of you - the exhaust is barely there. However, when the valves are opened, all you can hear is the exhaust behind you!
Great—thanks for the intel! Do you happen to have any videos of the different modes or know where any videos online might live? I’m coming up empty. I guess most people have active exhaust from the factory?

Would be great to make sure this is the right move given the $1,800 + install price tag...on top of the Borla S-Type I’ve already invested in that I’ll need to get rid of (I wonder if the shop will take it off my hands and knock off some of the install price tag VS me trying to sell it privately/ship it).

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
Great—thanks for the intel! Do you happen to have any videos of the different modes or know where any videos online might live? I’m coming up empty. I guess most people have active exhaust from the factory?
I don't, but take a look at the American Muscle Roush Active Exhaust installation video for the 2018 Mustang GT: Active Exhaust

They install the full system, but the only difference is the control knob. (mufflers and valves identical) The lite system only has a button - opened/closed, whereas the full system has 3 factory settings along with a custom setting and the ability to actuate the value based on throttle position via ODBII connector.

According to the video, the fully closed setting (touring) is at least as quiet if not a little quieter than stock. The fully opened setting (Track) is significantly louder.
Sponsored