Sponsored

Restrictor pipe in passenger side coolant hose?

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
So Im doing my Whipple install and there is a restrictor pipe inside the passenger side hose area that needs to be reused?
I show a picture here. Anyone know what the purpose is for? Im assuming to restrict flow for some reason? Just curious because the driver side does not have it- just passenger. Anyhow I reused it like they say but wondering why its really needed?
coolant hose.jpg
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I would have to guess flow balance but have not heard of this before on our stangs.
Free bump.

5ohcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
If it’s a gen 5 you don’t need it. But there’s a video on YouTube of a guy installing one of the older gen Whipples on a S550 it’s pretty in depth you might want to check it out

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So Im doing my Whipple install and there is a restrictor pipe inside the passenger side hose area that needs to be reused?
I show a picture here. Anyone know what the purpose is for? Im assuming to restrict flow for some reason? Just curious because the driver side does not have it- just passenger. Anyhow I reused it like they say but wondering why its really needed?
coolant hose.jpg

I responded to your identical post in the 5.0 sub-forum, so this being a different sub-forum will benefit this crowd too....

That part is to restrict flow through to the heater core.

These were also common in the 1986-1995 5.0’s. In those models, the restrictor fitting was made of steel; it was only found in 1 hose located at the firewall which went into the heater core. The problem is, if someone didn’t know about that tidbit of tech info and replaced/discarded the stock heater hose, the restrictor was gone... new 86-95 5.0 heater hoses didn’t come with the restrictor.

——

Good find and hopefully your post helps other S550 owners in the future.
Sponsored