Sponsored

Resonator: what, how and why

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Anyone knowledgeable about resonators? I'm assuming different resonators mitigate different frequencies. Do size and length affect thier effectiveness or is by construction and design?

I'm looking to tame my exhaust around the 2000rpm to 3000rpm.
Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Typically they are more effective closer to the engine. Using the OEM suit case as an example would give a starting point on the length requirement after an H or X.

OP
OP
Fuse

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I was reading up on resonators, I didn't know that length could affect them. Although, it seems that adding resonators won't dampen the exhaust sound enough to my liking. I may end up putting the gt mufflers back on.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you're getting drone at those RPMs, look at either swapping the mufflers back or getting Helmholtz resonators (also called J pipes I think). They are a calculated length of essentially dead pipe off before the mufflers that helps to eliminate the problem frequencies.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
In my own research on resonators I read that the noise reduction in db of any resonator/muffler is directly related to the size or interior volume of the case, i.e. the larger the case (or the more volume inside the case) the more noise reduction it will have.

The design and type of packing material can affect the sound level as well, but just as a general guideline, the bigger the case the quieter the resonator or muffler will be.

Yeah I know, thank you Capt. Obvious! :lol:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fuse

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You guys gave good points. At this point I'm leaning towards reinstalling the stock gt mufflers and I'll just have new tips welded. I was thinking of putting resonators after the x-pipe which could fix it or it may not. I really like the idle, WOT and looks of the SVE axle backs. It just sucks when you are inbetween idle and WOT. I still need to make a video and people who have heard it said it sounds good.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White 3.7
I had a muffler delete on my 2014 3.7 and I put vibrant performance resonators where the mufflers used to be. Drone is mostly gone now.

OP
OP
Fuse

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
From what I can tell that is pretty much what the SVE axle backs are. They are straight pipes with resonators built in.
Sponsored