resonance in cabin?

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
I've only noticed this today, but it's been repeatable so far. If I'm slowing down in gear, i.e. 0% throttle, as the engine goes across about 2750rpm, the whole interior of the car booms. I should note that I have the rear seats folded down today, which is the only difference from other times I've driven it, and that would definitely have an affect on any resonance, but I've never had this happen in another car. Not sure if it's the sound symposer or what. Just curious if anyone else has had this experience.
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've never experienced anything like you've described. Is it a recent phenomenon or has it been consistent since you got the car?

WildBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I've never heard either, but I've never had My seats down, I'll have try it !!

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've never heard either, but I've never had My seats down, I'll have try it !!
I just reread - I missed the seats down piece. I've also never had my seats down!

OP
OP

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've only had it less than a week, so I can't really say how consistent it is. But I've noticed it every time I drove with the seats down (I was bringing my summer tires back to my house after mounting the winters, 2 at a time). I'm going to be listening for it now with the seats up but I have a feeling it won't be there anymore. It's not really something worth complaining about, but if it is the sound symposer then it'd be an easy fix for Ford at some point.

Sponsored

CompOrangeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've only had it less than a week, so I can't really say how consistent it is. But I've noticed it every time I drove with the seats down (I was bringing my summer tires back to my house after mounting the winters, 2 at a time). I'm going to be listening for it now with the seats up but I have a feeling it won't be there anymore. It's not really something worth complaining about, but if it is the sound symposer then it'd be an easy fix for Ford at some point.
Do you have the Shaker Pro system on your car? It could be the subwoofer making that noise :shrug:

OP
OP

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
nope, just the regular premium stereo.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Did you find the cause of this resonance and a solution?

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
What do you mean the interior "booms" ?..

Do you mean Drone?.. I get drone right around that rpm with my muffler delete..

Did you try unplugging the microphone for the sound symposer see if it makes any difference?

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I did block off the sound tube and it helped a little, but the resonance is still there. I normally think of drone as coming from the exhaust system - and since I have experienced the resonance with both the FRPP Touring and Corsa/Mishimoto systems I don't think it's coming from the exhaust system. It's a low pitched hum between 2000 - 2500 RPMs. And revving the engine to that RPM range with the car standing still, does not cause the resonance - the car has to be moving to hear it.

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
at any speed at that rpm? if your having the sound, put it in neutral does sound go away while still moving?

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Yes, at any speed in that RPM range. I haven't tried putting it in neutral, but I'll do that today and see what happens. Thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
John, I still think it's pointing toward what we talked about before (trans mount/PT mounts). It's something that is speed independent, so it's not driveshaft or axles, and I agree it's not exhaust as you're hearing it with two setups that offer damn near zero (FRPP Touring) or zero drone (Corsa). If it's in neutral, the powertrain isn't loaded, so it will may not provoke the same response.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
BmacIL - you're right that I don't notice it if the power train isn't loaded. I am curious about how many other members have/are experiencing this problem. I have seen multiple posts reporting drone at the 2000 - 2500 RPM range. But I don't think this is drone, it's likely the resonance I am experiencing.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
OP can you list any mods? It's a manual trans correct?
Sponsored