Residue in coolant tank?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anyone ever seen this? Some deposits appearing on the bottom of the coolant tank. I have mixed yellow and orange because I couldn't get any orange and Ford said you could, but other than that I don't know what would cause something like this, or if I should be concerned, lol.
20210721_134048.jpg
Sponsored

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Anyone ever seen this? Some deposits appearing on the bottom of the coolant tank. I have mixed yellow and orange because I couldn't get any orange and Ford said you could, but other than that I don't know what would cause something like this, or if I should be concerned, lol.
20210721_134048.jpg
I'd worry if you have deposits there they may be in the radiator?

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'd worry if you have deposits there they may be in the radiator?
Well maybe, but since I just replaced it (again), that shouldn't be a problem. I also replaced the lower rad hose, and it's utterly spotless inside. No residue to speak of. That's why I think this is rather odd.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well maybe, but since I just replaced it (again), that shouldn't be a problem. I also replaced the lower rad hose, and it's utterly spotless inside. No residue to speak of. That's why I think this is rather odd.
You replaced the coolant tank - more than once? Or the rad?

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You replaced the coolant tank - more than once? Or the rad?
The rad. Went from base to performance pack, but that one had a broken condenser tab that wasn't letting it sit flush and my ghetto solutions didn't work, so I ordered a second PP rad and installed that. Silly, I know. I also replaced the lower hose because it got torn up when the spring clamp ear broke off the first time and I had to cut it off (never had that happen in my life).

So basically, I'm on rad #3. No leaks, no running hot, no issues. System seems to be working good, but I did notice that almost sand looking sludge. I'm thinking it's something from the previous PP rad that precipitated out? Maybe flux or something

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The rad. Went from base to performance pack, but that one had a broken condenser tab that wasn't letting it sit flush and my ghetto solutions didn't work, so I ordered a second PP rad and installed that. Silly, I know. I also replaced the lower hose because it got torn up when the spring clamp ear broke off the first time and I had to cut it off (never had that happen in my life).

So basically, I'm on rad #3. No leaks, no running hot, no issues. System seems to be working good, but I did notice that almost sand looking sludge. I'm thinking it's something from the previous PP rad that precipitated out? Maybe flux or something

Ok, so since you mentioned it as “sand”, the only thing I can think of is this:
Residual sand that was flushed through coolant passages and out of the engine block and trapped at lowest point of coolant bottle. Engines are sand casted, so there’s no surprise that residual sand is flushed out during initial start up of the engine.

You would also find small amount of sand or grit in original radiator if dumping the fluid into a yellow pan.

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ok, so since you mentioned it as “sand”, the only thing I can think of is this:
Residual sand that was flushed through coolant passages and out of the engine block and trapped at lowest point of coolant bottle. Engines are sand casted, so there’s no surprise that residual sand is flushed out during initial start up of the engine.

You would also find small amount of sand or grit in original radiator if dumping the fluid into a yellow pan.
That would make sense. There are two "traps" in the bottom of the bottle, where that residue seems to be concentrated. I looked inside the hoses and there wasn't a trace of anything, so it must be some sort of precipitate and not a true "sludge".
Sponsored