Sponsored

Replacing The Tires On My 2015 GT350 - Would Appreciate Your Help & Feedback

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I am quite sure that this topic has been discussed numerous times before but in any event I would appreciate your help and feedback as I want to replace the OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my car early next week.

I would appreciate some feedback from those that have recently gone down this path as is has been my experience that tire technology seems to improve rather quickly from year to year.

My present tires (F-295/35/19 & R-305/35/19) have ~13,000 miles on them with tramlining being one of the issues that I would like to improve upon and at the same time have a tire that performs well and provides good road feel/manners under normal city and highway driving conditions.

I suggest that the wheel sizes are 19 X 10.5 and 19 X 11 front and rear.

Aside from performance and road feel cost is always an important issue but am willing to pay a little more for the right tire.

This vehicle is a daily driver that will be driven mostly in a dry weather climate therefore a combination of a dry and wet tire is not required.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I am quite sure that this topic has been discussed numerous times before but in any event I would appreciate your help and feedback as I want to replace the OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my car early next week.

I would appreciate some feedback from those that have recently gone down this path as is has been my experience that tire technology seems to improve rather quickly from year to year.

My present tires (F-295/35/19 & R-305/35/19) have ~13,000 miles on them with tramlining being one of the issues that I would like to improve upon and at the same time have a tire that performs well and provides good road feel/manners under normal city and highway driving conditions.

Aside from performance and road feel cost is always an important issue but am willing to pay a little more for the right tire.

This vehicle is a daily driver that will be driven mostly in a dry weather climate therefore a combination of a dry and wet tire is not required.

Unfortunately you’re stuck with a just a few choices in stock size (as I’m sure you’re aware). If you’re not going to be tracking the car and you’re willing to drop to a 305/30/19 square setup, you have many more options. Including the pilot sport 4S which is a solid tire for your application:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PS4SXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Since the sidewall is shorter you may notice a larger gap between tire and fender, but it’s seems most don’t mind (especially if they’ve used the FP lowering springs.)

Reactions: dps

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Unlike most people I would highly recommend just getting the factory Cup 2's that came standard on the 19+. Provides tons of grip and have had 0 issues in rain or cold weather. Tbh unlike most people I really don't see the benefit from switching from these to another tire unless its a drastic switch in compound/tread.

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Unfortunately you’re stuck with a just a few choices in stock size (as I’m sure you’re aware). If you’re not going to be tracking the car and you’re willing to drop to a 305/30/19 square setup, you have many more options. Including the pilot sport 4S which is a solid tire for your application:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PS4SXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Since the sidewall is shorter you may notice a larger gap between tire and fender, but it’s seems most don’t mind (especially if they’ve used the FP lowering springs.)
Not intended to track this car as I am pretty much 70 years old therefore my track days are over but did do a lot of racing especially back in the 80's and what great times those were including a fair bit of 1/4 mile racing as well.

Appreciate the feedback and am not adverse to a square set up by any means let alone dropping down to a 30 aspect ratio from a 35 aspect ratio and suggest that putting a 305 size tire on a 19 X 10.5 would not be an issue?

Thanks again!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Running a ‘15 as a daily....gotta love it :cool:
Finally retiring next month and after much thought and consideration I just could not see myself daily driving one of my R models based on numerous factors that many of you have R owners have come to know and appreciate.

Once that decision was made I elected to purchase a GT350 from a very good friend of mine last month and was so happy when he decided to sell that car to me as I had originally located it for him some ~5 years ago when it came up for auction at Manheim in Dearborn and drove it many miles and stored this car for 6 months back in the Spring of 2016.

To your point I feel very fortunate and appreciative for this terrific opportunity therefore don't want to continue to drive on the original OEM tires which obviously need to be replaced.

:like: :like:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Not intended to track this car as I am pretty much 70 years old therefore my track days are over but did do a lot of racing especially back in the 80's and what great times those were including a fair bit of 1/4 mile racing as well.

Appreciate the feedback and am not adverse to a square set up by any means let alone dropping down to a 30 aspect ratio from a 35 aspect ratio and suggest that putting a 305 size tire on a 19 X 10.5 would not be an issue?

Thanks again!
Very cool!!

Zero issues with the 305/30 on the front. Lots of 350 guys on the forum run 30’s with zero issues (except maybe the speedometer being off ever so slightly.... but who looks at that thing anyway, right?)

The cup 2’s are great tires if you’re looking for traction, but you’ll have increased tram lining as a byproduct. Also, the cups are only good for 7k miles on the street. Awesome for the track

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Very cool!!

Zero issues with the 305/30 on the front. Lots of 350 guys on the forum run 30’s with zero issues (except maybe the speedometer being off ever so slightly.... but who looks at that thing anyway, right?)

The cup 2’s are great tires if you’re looking for traction, but you’ll have increased tram lining as a byproduct. Also, the cups are only good for 7k miles on the street. Awesome for the track
I thought that would be the case with 305's on the front and suggest that wheel might be good for even a little more but always good to hear from people such as yourself in order to reinforce and confirm my thought process.

I have not put on a lot of miles on my present R's but do know that tramlining is an issue as have ~1000 miles on my 2018 and ~700 miles on my 2020 let alone with the miles I had on my 2016 and 2017 R's..

Based on your feedback I will probably go with the Pilot Sport 4S's on a square set up but before I make that final decision I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires?

Back in 2011 that tire was standard on the 2012 Boss 302 LS cars and fell in love with that tire but unfortunately the treadwear rating was only 50 but just loved that tire a great deal and would consider the newer P Zero Corsa tire series all subject to a much better treadwear rating?

:sunglasses:

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Similar issue here...but I am daily driving a ’16R model. Mine comes with the 30 series Cup2’s but I am thinking of going with the non-R 35 series, seems to be more options on that side of the street and the increased sidewall would be nice for the potholes under the bridges on I-5 :wink:

keep in mind, the 30 series are about an inch shorter than 35s...

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
If I can spend some of your money, Harry, I would suggest that you buy some 20" wheels because the availability of 295/30/20 and 305/30/20 tires is very, very good (they are essentially the exact same overall diameter as the OE 19" tires). I am actually running the 2020 GT500 spec 20" PS4S 305 and 315s on my 2020 350R. You won't even need to adjust your speedometer.

Plus, a good set of 20" wheels will be significantly lighter than your OE 19" wheels.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Similar issue here...but I am daily driving a ’16R model. Mine comes with the 30 series Cup2’s but I am thinking of going with the non-R 35 series, seems to be more options on that side of the street and the increased sidewall would be nice for the potholes under the bridges on I-5 :wink:

keep in mind, the 30 series are about an inch shorter than 35s...
Understand completely and congratulations on daily driving your R model as there are not many of you out there.

Your concern for front splitter clearance is my concern as well when it comes to a daily driver.

Just getting my R models in and out of my garage with an inclined driveway is a pain in the butt whereas the clearance on my GT350 is certainly somewhat better based on springs that are a little taller and also a taller 35 series tire which also comes into play.

Certainly going with a 30 series tire from a 35 series will decrease my overall tire height by an inch and the car would sit 1/2" lower but still a very good point to consider when replacing my OEM tires.

With that being said I may just take a look at my options for a 35 series tire which there may not much to choose from?

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If I can spend some of your money, Harry, I would suggest that you buy some 20" wheels because the availability of 295/30/20 and 305/30/20 tires is very, very good (they are essentially the exact same overall diameter as the OE 19" tires). I am actually running the 2020 GT500 spec 20" PS4S 305 and 315s on my 2020 350R. You won't even need to adjust your speedometer.

Plus, a good set of 20" wheels will be significantly lighter than your OE 19" wheels.
Great point and will certainly give that some consideration but if possible I would like to keep the OEM wheels intact with the car.

Terrific to hear from you and hope that are enjoying your new R model as what an outstanding ride!!

:clap:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Understand completely and congratulations on daily driving your R model as there are not many of you out there.

Your concern for front splitter clearance is my concern as well when it comes to a daily driver.

Just getting my R models in and out of my garage with an inclined driveway is a pain in the butt whereas the clearance on my GT350 is certainly somewhat better based on springs that are a little taller and also a taller 35 series tire which also comes into play.

Certainly going with a 30 series tire from a 35 series will decrease my overall tire height by an inch and the car would sit 1/2" lower but still a very good point to consider when replacing my OEM tires.

With that being said I may just take a look at my options for a 35 series tire which there may not much to choose from?
Looking at tire racks website it looks like .8 inch drop for the cup 2’s between 30 and 35 (I’m sure others are similar.). Looks like plenty of options for the 295/35’s if you wanted to go square.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Hi Harry,
Havent talked in a bit.. Hope you and the wife are doing well.
I replaced my sport cup 2s with the Michelin pilot super sports, stock sizes. I am happy with the ride and less tramiling for sure. Just my 2 cents.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Thank you very much, Harry! I absolutely love my R! I shouldn't say this out loud, but I actually might like it even more than my 2013 Boss LS sitting in the garage next to it.

PM me if you want to discuss the wheel/tire options because I explored a litany of them.
Sponsored